Evil Owners Club

PB Forum :: Other
Evil Owners Club
Author Message
Posted: Aug 13, 2019 at 15:27 Quote
kit-nz wrote:
Does anyone have an exploded diagram of the Insurgent (or original Wreck, probably)? The thing I want to check is the spacers between the main pivot bearings and the swingarm. The washer has one side longer than the other and I'm not sure which way around it goes... Based on the parts image from their website it looks like the longer side goes into the bearing, but it's a pretty crappy image and doesn't show both sides, so I'm guessing! Any help much appreciated.


The orientation of the spacer on the pivot axle in the photo is correct, pointy (small) side out. The backside of the spacer (large side) says "frame" on it - I just did this last week.

Posted: Aug 13, 2019 at 21:13 Quote
CascadesRider wrote:
kit-nz wrote:
Does anyone have an exploded diagram of the Insurgent (or original Wreck, probably)? The thing I want to check is the spacers between the main pivot bearings and the swingarm. The washer has one side longer than the other and I'm not sure which way around it goes... Based on the parts image from their website it looks like the longer side goes into the bearing, but it's a pretty crappy image and doesn't show both sides, so I'm guessing! Any help much appreciated.


The orientation of the spacer on the pivot axle in the photo is correct, pointy (small) side out. The backside of the spacer (large side) says "frame" on it - I just did this last week.

Nice one, cheers. I pulled it out again to check, mine doesn't have anything written on it, but I'm pretty sure I had it right, yeah?

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 8:04 Quote
kit-nz wrote:
CascadesRider wrote:
kit-nz wrote:
Does anyone have an exploded diagram of the Insurgent (or original Wreck, probably)? The thing I want to check is the spacers between the main pivot bearings and the swingarm. The washer has one side longer than the other and I'm not sure which way around it goes... Based on the parts image from their website it looks like the longer side goes into the bearing, but it's a pretty crappy image and doesn't show both sides, so I'm guessing! Any help much appreciated.


The orientation of the spacer on the pivot axle in the photo is correct, pointy (small) side out. The backside of the spacer (large side) says "frame" on it - I just did this last week.

Nice one, cheers. I pulled it out again to check, mine doesn't have anything written on it, but I'm pretty sure I had it right, yeah?

Yes that looks right to me - I don't remember my spacers having that lip on the Frame side to be honest (thought it was flat). I will look at the spacers I pulled with the old rear triangle when I get home to confirm.

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 10:35 Quote
trunnion shocked evils have the spacers marked for their orientation, they also look different.

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 15:13 Quote
CascadesRider wrote:
kit-nz wrote:
CascadesRider wrote:



The orientation of the spacer on the pivot axle in the photo is correct, pointy (small) side out. The backside of the spacer (large side) says "frame" on it - I just did this last week.

Nice one, cheers. I pulled it out again to check, mine doesn't have anything written on it, but I'm pretty sure I had it right, yeah?

Yes that looks right to me - I don't remember my spacers having that lip on the Frame side to be honest (thought it was flat). I will look at the spacers I pulled with the old rear triangle when I get home to confirm.

I emailed Evil through the website and heard back from Dylan pretty much straight away. What I've shown is correct, but they've now replaced those washers with new ones, which are flat on the frame side - which explains the difference between yours and mine. He's offered to send me a new set, which is awesome.

Man, my last bike was a Capra and the difference in customer service is night and day...

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 15:20 Quote
Anyone throw a 27.5 on the rear of their wreckoining? Currently have a 170mm fork and set in x-low. How would you setup a mullet wrecker?

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 15:24 Quote
Tried it (very VERY momentarily ie. on the stand) can't be done. Won't fit. Tire contacts frame.

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 20:47 Quote
I'd give the mullet setup a try on the insurgent, if I could find a 160mm 29" fork and wheel... Sadly not really something people have just laying around (or maybe I have the wrong group of friends).

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 20:30 Quote
Just demo'd a med Offering. Mixed feelings on this one.. very light, very responsive, great climber.. impressed.. until pointed it downhill. Scary as sh*t!

Nowhere near as planted as my Wrecker, fork and shock dancing around bouncing me all over the place.. couldn't hit steeps virtually at all. I am suspect of the components on this build contributed to that; 140mm pike is just not enough.. (maybe it was a 44mm offset too? It was 'that bad') Fox 36 for sure or lyric bare minimum. needs an angleset of -1 at least. A coil in the rear end.. AND either 2.5 or 2.6 DHF combo or even 27.5+.

All in all, it was a huge let down.. fun, but not 'safe'.. with the additions I suggested though.. might turn it into the goldilocks bike.. loved the light wieght and the ability to climb comfortably. In summary I was expecting a 'Wrecker Light'.. what I got was a 'Following +'.

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 21:14 Quote
Hi all,

I’ve just made the purchase of an offering and wreckoning LB for myself and wife (no we aren’t dentists) I’ve opted not to bother with invisiframe however are there particular areas you would recommend adding some sort of protection? If so would love to see/ read about what solutions you came up with. As soon As the builds are completed I’ll send through some pics

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 21:20 Quote
CDT77 wrote:
Just demo'd a med Offering. Mixed feelings on this one.. very light, very responsive, great climber.. impressed.. until pointed it downhill. Scary as sh*t!

Nowhere near as planted as my Wrecker, fork and shock dancing around bouncing me all over the place.. couldn't hit steeps virtually at all. I am suspect of the components on this build contributed to that; 140mm pike is just not enough.. (maybe it was a 44mm offset too? It was 'that bad') Fox 36 for sure or lyric bare minimum. needs an angleset of -1 at least. A coil in the rear end.. AND either 2.5 or 2.6 DHF combo or even 27.5+.

All in all, it was a huge let down.. fun, but not 'safe'.. with the additions I suggested though.. might turn it into the goldilocks bike.. loved the light wieght and the ability to climb comfortably. In summary I was expecting a 'Wrecker Light'.. what I got was a 'Following +'.

Interesting experience you had. I’ve got an offering being built up for my wife as we speak. Fox 36 160mm 51mm offset with a Neg headset and DPX2 on the rear. She is still relatively new to riding so it will be interesting to see if she finds the bike confidence inspiring. I’m sure I’ll throw a leg over it too at some point and will be able to compare it to my wrecker LB with pretty much identical build (my wrecker will be 170mm upfront with a neg headset). I’ll report back once o have a good understanding of both bikes

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 22:25 Quote
CDT77 wrote:
Just demo'd a med Offering. Mixed feelings on this one.. very light, very responsive, great climber.. impressed.. until pointed it downhill. Scary as sh*t!

Nowhere near as planted as my Wrecker, fork and shock dancing around bouncing me all over the place.. couldn't hit steeps virtually at all. I am suspect of the components on this build contributed to that; 140mm pike is just not enough.. (maybe it was a 44mm offset too? It was 'that bad') Fox 36 for sure or lyric bare minimum. needs an angleset of -1 at least. A coil in the rear end.. AND either 2.5 or 2.6 DHF combo or even 27.5+.

All in all, it was a huge let down.. fun, but not 'safe'.. with the additions I suggested though.. might turn it into the goldilocks bike.. loved the light wieght and the ability to climb comfortably. In summary I was expecting a 'Wrecker Light'.. what I got was a 'Following +'.


https://youtu.be/vWz_wwKDAU8


I’ve had maybe three weeks now of riding every chance I get and every weekend on my medium Offering.

Fox 36 Performance set to 140mm travel and it has an offset of 44mm. Maxxis minion DHF DH casing 2.5” both front and rear. Fox DPX2 in the rear, eagle with 32T chainring with a 50mm length stem and the saddle slammed forwards (still been playing around a lot with both my cockpit setup and suspension.)

So far, I enjoy it and in comparison to my previous Evil frames... it’s a step in the right direction. Haven’t had the time to ride it with a dropper yet (curses from going from a 31.6 frame to a 30.9) and like I said still adjust cockpit setup and suspension. Waiting on Works components in the UK to make a 2 degree angleset headset and considerably slacken out my Offering from the stock 66.6 and 66 to a much more aggressive 64.6 and 64 degree headtube angle. Before I dropped my 36 to 140mm travel, I was riding it at 160mm and so to compensate at the time I was running just a 5mm spacer underneath my stem and a low rise handlebar (15mm rise) and it still felt comfortable both ascending and descending.

Now with 140/140 travel, the bike definitely feels better when ascending and traction is still awesome even when putting down the power. Descending feels decent, though line choice plays a bigger role in how it feels at times. I’m probably terrible at choosing lines as I choose a line at the time from how I’m feeling, which can put a smile on my face from boosting over a rock garden to oh shit when my suspension reminds me that I choose poorly. I’m committed regardless as I promised my wife and I’m going to stick it out until the frame breaks. When I get my hands on the angleset headset, dropper, shorter arm crankset (anyone interested in a carbon boost 175mm truvativ descendant, I’ll trade you if you have a 165mm crankset.) I’ll then post again my opinion of this and see how it fairs then.

Speaking of angleset headsets, I’ve now used two on two different frames and this one (for my Evil Offering) will be my third frame to use it on. Previously having used Works 1.5 degree angleset on my V1 Following, and then their 2 degree angleset on my Intense Carbine. The feeling when riding and descending was phenomenal.



Posted: 3 days ago Quote
Hi all, (Apologies if this has been asked a lot, I haven’t gone through every post)

I am looking at purchasing a Wreckoning but I’m between sizes and was after some advice. I’m 5’11 / 32” inseam and can’t decide between a M or L - I’d prefer the more manoeuvrable and playful nature of a M but don’t want to feel cramped as I know the reach isn’t huge.

On the other hand I’m concerned the L may be a big bike to move around and may lose some of its poppiness.

Any advice is much appreciated. (Also hit me up if you’re selling one in the UK)

Posted: 3 days ago Quote
Its got potential, no doubt about it. And it looks amazing too (but don't they all?).

An interesting fact was despite how 'unsafe' it felt most of the time (when I was hammering down - making all sorts of little mistake) I was actually going much faster than I thought.. within a few seconds of some of my PR's on old favorites. There is a section that is mildly DH (in gradient) but very fast - and my friend (on his Wrecker) is devishly fast on that section.. on my Wrecker I have failed to hold his tail.. on this ride.. on the Offering.. I was closing the gap (while the bloodly little pike and super delux were doing there best to pogo me right off the bike! LOL)

So that has raised an eyebrow.. thats why I am hopeful that this bad impression I got is simply a case of inadequate components & set up (for me anyway).

The big takeway's here both favor Evil as a brand;

1) The good ol'v1 Wrecker is STILL one hellva bicycle.. so much so I have yet to try anything that outright beats it in every way.

2) The Offering is a massive improvement in the ascending aspect and MAYBE.. just maybe with the right components and set up could be the fabled goldilocks quiver killer.

PS. Harding--> I'd seriously consider a medium.. I am 5'10" on a medium Wrecker.. its perfect... unless your freakishly proportioned in some way that would favor a large. But your on the cusp - demo both if possible.

Posted: 3 days ago Quote
I would consider selling mine. It’s got a coil installed as well. I’m on a large and am 5’ 10’.

HardingO wrote:
Hi all, (Apologies if this has been asked a lot, I haven’t gone through every post)

I am looking at purchasing a Wreckoning but I’m between sizes and was after some advice. I’m 5’11 / 32” inseam and can’t decide between a M or L - I’d prefer the more manoeuvrable and playful nature of a M but don’t want to feel cramped as I know the reach isn’t huge.

On the other hand I’m concerned the L may be a big bike to move around and may lose some of its poppiness.

Any advice is much appreciated. (Also hit me up if you’re selling one in the UK)


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013843
Mobile Version of Website