Evil Owners Club

PB Forum :: Other
Evil Owners Club
Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 8:27 Quote
ornorton wrote:
Hi all,

I’ve just made the purchase of an offering and wreckoning LB for myself and wife (no we aren’t dentists) I’ve opted not to bother with invisiframe however are there particular areas you would recommend adding some sort of protection? If so would love to see/ read about what solutions you came up with. As soon As the builds are completed I’ll send through some pics

YES! The downtube. I'm actually surprised that Evil didn't run the rubber protector further up. I've had a number of rock strikes that have removed small chips of paint.

If you purchased the matte black version, I'd invisframe the entire thing. I have accumulated a number of light scratches from my shorts rubbing against the frame.

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 8:35 Quote
CDT77 wrote:
Just demo'd a med Offering. Mixed feelings on this one.. very light, very responsive, great climber.. impressed.. until pointed it downhill. Scary as sh*t!

Nowhere near as planted as my Wrecker, fork and shock dancing around bouncing me all over the place.. couldn't hit steeps virtually at all. I am suspect of the components on this build contributed to that; 140mm pike is just not enough.. (maybe it was a 44mm offset too? It was 'that bad') Fox 36 for sure or lyric bare minimum. needs an angleset of -1 at least. A coil in the rear end.. AND either 2.5 or 2.6 DHF combo or even 27.5+.

All in all, it was a huge let down.. fun, but not 'safe'.. with the additions I suggested though.. might turn it into the goldilocks bike.. loved the light wieght and the ability to climb comfortably. In summary I was expecting a 'Wrecker Light'.. what I got was a 'Following +'.

That's an interesting take. FWIW, I have a bit of a different take on it. I actually feel that it is quite planted when pointed downhill. HOWEVER, the reach on the thing takes time getting used to. I moved from an Ibis HD3 which a wheelbase of approx. 1170 and my offering is 1260+ (both size L). The first few rides on the Offering were a bit ugly on the downhills as the extended wheelbase was throwing me off until I realized my reactions were as if I was on the Ibis. Once I changed my riding style a bit, everything clicked. I've destroyed some of my downhill PRs (20+ seconds).

And yes, I agree with your take on the suspension, at least the fork. My Offering has a 150 Fox 36 and DPX2. Tire setup is a 2.5 DHF and 2.3 DHRII, but plan to move to a 2.4 DHRII in the rear.

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 10:22 Quote
Fellas... I figured it out. My LBS had this set up (via pressures front 75psi and back 170psi) for about a 130lb rider (I am about 190lb and ride pretty hard).. not sure how that slipped through the cracks on their part, we did set the sag but obviously not good enough and I think the fork set up was a 'go peddle around' without actually setting a baseline pressure.. I really like the shop and the guys but.. damn.. talk about setting a bike up for failure.

This would completely explain why climbing / flat felt great (no suspension movement) but when things turned DH the suspension was completely overwhelmed.. steepening the HTA massively by virtue of being almost fully compressed (not to mention having no travel left front and back!)

Mystery solved as far as I am concerned.

mwolpin wrote:
CDT77 wrote:
Just demo'd a med Offering. Mixed feelings on this one.. very light, very responsive, great climber.. impressed.. until pointed it downhill. Scary as sh*t!

Nowhere near as planted as my Wrecker, fork and shock dancing around bouncing me all over the place.. couldn't hit steeps virtually at all. I am suspect of the components on this build contributed to that; 140mm pike is just not enough.. (maybe it was a 44mm offset too? It was 'that bad') Fox 36 for sure or lyric bare minimum. needs an angleset of -1 at least. A coil in the rear end.. AND either 2.5 or 2.6 DHF combo or even 27.5+.

All in all, it was a huge let down.. fun, but not 'safe'.. with the additions I suggested though.. might turn it into the goldilocks bike.. loved the light wieght and the ability to climb comfortably. In summary I was expecting a 'Wrecker Light'.. what I got was a 'Following +'.

That's an interesting take. FWIW, I have a bit of a different take on it. I actually feel that it is quite planted when pointed downhill. HOWEVER, the reach on the thing takes time getting used to. I moved from an Ibis HD3 which a wheelbase of approx. 1170 and my offering is 1260+ (both size L). The first few rides on the Offering were a bit ugly on the downhills as the extended wheelbase was throwing me off until I realized my reactions were as if I was on the Ibis. Once I changed my riding style a bit, everything clicked. I've destroyed some of my downhill PRs (20+ seconds).

And yes, I agree with your take on the suspension, at least the fork. My Offering has a 150 Fox 36 and DPX2. Tire setup is a 2.5 DHF and 2.3 DHRII, but plan to move to a 2.4 DHRII in the rear.

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 10:31 Quote
CDT77 wrote:
Fellas... I figured it out. My LBS had this set up (via pressures front 75psi and back 170psi) for about a 130lb rider (I am about 190lb and ride pretty hard).. not sure how that slipped through the cracks on their part.. I like the shop and the guys but.. damn.. talk about setting a bike up for failure.

This would completely explain why climbing / flat felt great (no suspension movement) but when things turned DH the suspension was completely overwhelmed.. steepening the HTA massively by virtue of being almost fully compressed (not to mention having no travel left front and back!)

I figured that was the problem. The delta link is like a magic carpet ride, and 140mm is pretty good in fairly rough terrain (obviously not brutal WC style rock gardens).

This happened to me when I demoed a Commencal Meta at Angel Fire. I chose to take a pretty gnarly route down, but the shock had a leak. I feared for my life

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 11:24 Quote
Spoke with the Evil LBS.. going to take it for round #2... super group of guys there / no hard feelings, the ride can only get better from here.. will report back (I want to love this bike but have to be objective!)

Mntneer wrote:
CDT77 wrote:
Fellas... I figured it out. My LBS had this set up (via pressures front 75psi and back 170psi) for about a 130lb rider (I am about 190lb and ride pretty hard).. not sure how that slipped through the cracks on their part.. I like the shop and the guys but.. damn.. talk about setting a bike up for failure.

I figured that was the problem. The delta link is like a magic carpet ride, and 140mm is pretty good in fairly rough terrain (obviously not brutal WC style rock gardens).

This happened to me when I demoed a Commencal Meta at Angel Fire. I chose to take a pretty gnarly route down, but the shock had a leak. I feared for my life

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 11:56 Quote
CDT77 wrote:
Fellas... I figured it out. My LBS had this set up (via pressures front 75psi and back 170psi) for about a 130lb rider (I am about 190lb and ride pretty hard).. not sure how that slipped through the cracks on their part, we did set the sag but obviously not good enough and I think the fork set up was a 'go peddle around' without actually setting a baseline pressure.. I really like the shop and the guys but.. damn.. talk about setting a bike up for failure.

All you can do is laugh, but that's awesome that you figured out that issue. I'm keen to hear your updated report.

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 17:04 Quote
ornorton wrote:
Hi all,

I’ve just made the purchase of an offering and wreckoning LB for myself and wife (no we aren’t dentists) I’ve opted not to bother with invisiframe however are there particular areas you would recommend adding some sort of protection? If so would love to see/ read about what solutions you came up with. As soon As the builds are completed I’ll send through some pics

I would wrap just behind the head tube where the cables get close to the frame. Only spot I have seen wear outside of just scratches from normal usage.

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 18:41 Quote
So....! Back from demo ride #2 on the med Offering. This time I set up the suspension myself and chucked on my Wreckers front wheel with a fat 2.6" DHF @ 16psi. I wasn't taking any chances and wanted to set the Offering up for success.

In a word; Awesome! Night and day difference.. it now descends with what feels like 90% of the efficiency of my Wrecker and climbs probably 40% better (on the really steep tech) and maybe 10% better on normal climbing. But I am not just pulling these observations out of my a**.. I do have Strava and did the same trails on;

a) My Wrecker
b) SC Megatower
c) Offering

Long story short; it went like this.. SC Megatower felt amazing, like a train on rails.. solid climbing - unreal hook up on the rear end when climbing, and on the way down - it surpassed the Wrecker in terms of feeling 'secure and safe' at high speeds.

My Wrecker in comparison felt poppier than the Mega, more lively up / down and a bit less hooked up on same DH trails. I expected to be slower.. BUT wonder of wonders.. the Wrecker was faster.. both UP and DOWN than the Mega?! Props to the good ol'battle axe.

Now for the Offering; much more COMFORTABLE to climb with everywhere.. but just slightly faster than the Wrecker / Mega on mild gradients up. On the way down... it was just about on par with both. if a touch slower.. BUT had more potential to change lines / quicker etc. Overall - easier to handle.

Quantitatively; numbers don't lie.. and Strava indicated the above analysis.. icing on the cake.. (disclaimer; I don't take rankings too seriously but in this case of testing different bikes against each other it matters) a numero uno clocking on trailforks on a fav. DH trail out here (Cumberland BC). On strava the same ride with the Offering clocked me at 6th & 7th global (of 470) going UP on two trails.. .and 6th global (of 390) going DOWN one trail. On a demo bike that I am very unfamiliar with that just the day before almost killed me. Kudos to Evil in designing this monster..

I am thoroughly convinced.. this is the mythical goldilocks-unicorn bike (for me). And thank goodness... I was almost seduced over to the SC family! (well I still should try the Hightower.. and maybe a Druid.. but honestly.. can it beat the Offering? - I don't think so).

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 19:04 Quote
CDT77 wrote:
So....! Back from demo ride #2 on the med Offering. This time I set up the suspension myself and chucked on my Wreckers front wheel with a fat 2.6" DHF @ 16psi. I wasn't taking any chances and wanted to set the Offering up for success.

In a word; Awesome! Night and day difference.. it now descends with what feels like 90% of the efficiency of my Wrecker and climbs probably 40% better (on the really steep tech) and maybe 10% better on normal climbing. But I am not just pulling these observations out of my a**.. I do have Strava and did the same trails on;

a) My Wrecker
b) SC Megatower
c) Offering

Long story short; it went like this.. SC Megatower felt amazing, like a train on rails.. solid climbing - unreal hook up on the rear end when climbing, and on the way down - it surpassed the Wrecker in terms of feeling 'secure and safe' at high speeds.

My Wrecker in comparison felt poppier than the Mega, more lively up / down and a bit less hooked up on same DH trails. I expected to be slower.. BUT wonder of wonders.. the Wrecker was faster.. both UP and DOWN than the Mega?! Props to the good ol'battle axe.

Now for the Offering; much more COMFORTABLE to climb with everywhere.. but just slightly faster than the Wrecker / Mega on mild gradients up. On the way down... it was just about on par with both. if a touch slower.. BUT had more potential to change lines / quicker etc. Overall - easier to handle.

Quantitatively; numbers don't lie.. and Strava indicated the above analysis.. icing on the cake.. (disclaimer; I don't take rankings too seriously but in this case of testing different bikes against each other it matters) a numero uno clocking on trailforks on a fav. DH trail out here (Cumberland BC). On strava the same ride with the Offering clocked me at 6th & 7th global (of 470) going UP on two trails.. .and 6th global (of 390) going DOWN one trail. On a demo bike that I am very unfamiliar with that just the day before almost killed me. Kudos to Evil in designing this monster..

I am thoroughly convinced.. this is the mythical goldilocks-unicorn bike (for me). And thank goodness... I was almost seduced over to the SC family! (well I still should try the Hightower.. and maybe a Druid.. but honestly.. can it beat the Offering? - I don't think so).

HAHAHA. This is awesome and mirrors my first experience on the Offering. Much more comfortable up and a f**king missile on the way down.

Curious - what did you think of it in the air? It was a night and day difference compared to my Ibis, but that may just be me.

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 20:04 Quote
Honestly, I didn't have it in the air much on this ride - besides the drops (of which it was great) but the short time I did spend airborne it felt very similar to the Wrecker, other than it had a (nice) tendency to want to land on the rear wheel or flat as opposed to sometimes the Wrecker's rear end being popped up by the lip on take off and landing nose heavy..

I also ride flats so that (in my experience) limits some air-time over small features but overall the Offering definitely had a greater tendency to want to launch as opposed to my push'd Wrecker or the frieght train Megatower..

mwolpin wrote:
CDT77 wrote:

a) My Wrecker
b) SC Megatower
c) Offering

HAHAHA. This is awesome and mirrors my first experience on the Offering. Much more comfortable up and a f**king missile on the way down.

Curious - what did you think of it in the air? It was a night and day difference compared to my Ibis, but that may just be me.

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 1:04 Quote
So we talk of how much travel is enough. Realistically how much can a Following MB (forked to 140) take before a pogo of death happens. I’ve thrown it down drops, made attempts at air and hit rocks. I really like this bike, so how far should it be pushed?

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 2:39 Quote
adj227 wrote:
So we talk of how much travel is enough. Realistically how much can a Following MB (forked to 140) take before a pogo of death happens. I’ve thrown it down drops, made attempts at air and hit rocks. I really like this bike, so how far should it be pushed?

I had a following and loved it rode everywhere with it. I have an offering now and that thing rips just got back from the alps and it handled everything out there. With zero issues and all my mates was on DH bikes.

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 21:11 Quote
My one gripe with the Offering, is the short seatpost length. Had to make me rethink, rethink, and rethink what seatpost I could actually use to be effective. On a medium it only has 8.5 inches before the seatpost makes contact with the sleeve that the dropper routing goes through. Sadly a lot of seatposts with longer travel 160mm or more would just not work because the seatposts body cannot be run slammed into the frame.

I decided upon a OneUp V2 Dropper with 150mm travel. The body is 9.33 inches, so a little less than inch of the seatpost will be exposed (I enjoy having my saddle slammed and out of my way while descending.) Hoping I won't have to have too much more exposed post showing to make up for the 150mm travel to have my legs properly extended. Wanting to get rid of some of the back pain I've been experiencing the day after riding from having to adjust my standard post as from climbing, descending, and then climbing again, etc, the post is never in the same place and causes my back to have to compensate for the changes.

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 21:53 Quote
austenselk wrote:
My one gripe with the Offering, is the short seatpost length. Had to make me rethink, rethink, and rethink what seatpost I could actually use to be effective. On a medium it only has 8.5 inches before the seatpost makes contact with the sleeve that the dropper routing goes through. Sadly a lot of seatposts with longer travel 160mm or more would just not work because the seatposts body cannot be run slammed into the frame.

I decided upon a OneUp V2 Dropper with 150mm travel. The body is 9.33 inches, so a little less than inch of the seatpost will be exposed (I enjoy having my saddle slammed and out of my way while descending.) Hoping I won't have to have too much more exposed post showing to make up for the 150mm travel to have my legs properly extended. Wanting to get rid of some of the back pain I've been experiencing the day after riding from having to adjust my standard post as from climbing, descending, and then climbing again, etc, the post is never in the same place and causes my back to have to compensate for the changes.

100% agree. I originally bought a 175mm Fox Transfer and because it came stock with a 175 Reverb. But I had to go to a 150 Transfer which seems like it barely fits.

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 22:52 Quote
mwolpin wrote:

100% agree. I originally bought a 175mm Fox Transfer and because it came stock with a 175 Reverb. But I had to go to a 150 Transfer which seems like it barely fits.

I looked at Fox, Bike Yoke, 9point8, and a few others and found that many would just be a bit too tall. I settled on the OneUp as it had the shortest length of body (including the actuator), so hoping it’ll work out well. I have it ordered, but it’s backordered. So the waiting game begins.

I also adjusted my suspension psi both front and rear, and while the feeling is good while descending. There’s certain lines I take while climbing that with these now new psi, I do not achieve the same grip while climbing which annoys me some. I also changed out my 50mm length stem to a 35mm, so getting used to that.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008704
Mobile Version of Website