Evil Owners Club

PB Forum :: Other
Evil Owners Club
Author Message
Posted: Oct 3, 2019 at 7:08 Quote
What can you tell me about that?

Tyre clearance is so minimal on the back.


In my reagion the dirt (clay) is so sticky when wet, seems an issue.

Posted: Oct 3, 2019 at 7:13 Quote
leroy wrote:
What can you tell me about that?

Tyre clearance is so minimal on the back.


In my reagion the dirt (clay) is so sticky when wet, seems an issue.

It's definitely worth putting some quality protection in those spots.

Posted: Oct 3, 2019 at 7:41 Quote
leroy wrote:
What can you tell me about that?

Tyre clearance is so minimal on the back.


In my reagion the dirt (clay) is so sticky when wet, seems an issue.

What were you running?

I've quickly found that Evil's paint jobs are fragile. Like you, I tend to ride in the wet conditions and scratched my top tube on the first ride just with my shorts and rain/mud.

Posted: Oct 3, 2019 at 14:53 Quote
Same issue here


My solution was to put a thick strip of 3m rubber tape on the bridge. This helps knock the rocks out of the tires before they can scrape. It's not perfect but it's really reduced the rate that you hear rocks getting sucked in. You just need it to go far enough in that it reduces the clearance to less than the frame. Here's a pic


Posted: Oct 3, 2019 at 23:26 Quote
Thank you for the feedback, the picture is not mine, found it on the net from an owner complaining for the issue.

Posted: Oct 7, 2019 at 16:31 Quote
Can anyone comment on if the Offering got more tyre clearance? I would have thought with the steeper STA it would be possible, I’m contrasting this with my wreckoning

Posted: Oct 7, 2019 at 16:41 Quote
Acmac wrote:
Can anyone comment on if the Offering got more tyre clearance? I would have thought with the steeper STA it would be possible, I’m contrasting this with my wreckoning

It certainly does. I currently have a 2.5” 29” DH tire on a 40mm OD rim and so far, I haven’t encountered any problems.

Posted: Oct 7, 2019 at 20:23 Quote
Offering riders, how best do you go about making this feel like a bigger bike than it is? I already was using it with a 160mm fork before I then changed it to 140mm and have enjoyed that much more. But I'm wanting it to "feel" more like a big bike. Debating on getting a coil shock. Otherwise I enjoy the climbing with a 140mm fork as I have to climb before descending.

Also, brakes... finally picked up a pair of Code R that were brand new for only $160 for the complete set and damn, I'm happy to be able to stop again. Still don't have a dropper as I was having problems with the oneup I bought, so I returned that and waiting for something else.

Posted: Oct 7, 2019 at 20:29 Quote
austenselk wrote:
Offering riders, how best do you go about making this feel like a bigger bike than it is? I already was using it with a 160mm fork before I then changed it to 140mm and have enjoyed that much more. But I'm wanting it to "feel" more like a big bike. Debating on getting a coil shock. Otherwise I enjoy the climbing with a 140mm fork as I have to climb before descending.

Also, brakes... finally picked up a pair of Code R that were brand new for only $160 for the complete set and damn, I'm happy to be able to stop again. Still don't have a dropper as I was having problems with the oneup I bought, so I returned that and waiting for something else.

get a PNW, theyre cheap and they work.
ive had good luck with putting a longer stem on a bike when i wanted it to feel "bigger", it rakes it out a bit. also a float X2 will give coil-like performance without the extra weight, if youre trying to get a bigger bike feel without sacrificing on the climb too much

Posted: Oct 7, 2019 at 20:55 Quote
sosburn wrote:
austenselk wrote:
Offering riders, how best do you go about making this feel like a bigger bike than it is? I already was using it with a 160mm fork before I then changed it to 140mm and have enjoyed that much more. But I'm wanting it to "feel" more like a big bike. Debating on getting a coil shock. Otherwise I enjoy the climbing with a 140mm fork as I have to climb before descending.

Also, brakes... finally picked up a pair of Code R that were brand new for only $160 for the complete set and damn, I'm happy to be able to stop again. Still don't have a dropper as I was having problems with the oneup I bought, so I returned that and waiting for something else.

get a PNW, theyre cheap and they work.
ive had good luck with putting a longer stem on a bike when i wanted it to feel "bigger", it rakes it out a bit. also a float X2 will give coil-like performance without the extra weight, if youre trying to get a bigger bike feel without sacrificing on the climb too much

Too bad the Float X2 isn't made in that particular eye to eye and stroke with trunnion mount. Though it is odd that the DHX2 is made in the 185 x 55 size with trunnion mounts.

Posted: Oct 7, 2019 at 20:56 Quote
Evil Offering medium frame size has an effective seatpost length of 9.25 inches, can anyone confirm that for me as well? I measured mine and I'm just wanting another to have the same measurement.

Posted: Oct 8, 2019 at 5:08 Quote
Hi again all, back with another sizing question (sorry).

Are there any shorter riders on an XL frame here?

I’m 5’11 and going to try an XL frame that is near me - unfortunately no evil dealers in my area.

I was originally concerned it’d be way too big but comparing the reach & wheelbase with a new Enduro, Mega290, Sentinal, Stage 6, Firebird, Megatower the XL Wreckoning is more like a L with every other manufacturer.

If anyone can shed light on whether they think it’ll be too much bike on the trails that’d be great.

Posted: Oct 8, 2019 at 5:40 Quote
HardingO wrote:
Hi again all, back with another sizing question (sorry).

Are there any shorter riders on an XL frame here?

I’m 5’11 and going to try an XL frame that is near me - unfortunately no evil dealers in my area.

I was originally concerned it’d be way too big but comparing the reach & wheelbase with a new Enduro, Mega290, Sentinal, Stage 6, Firebird, Megatower the XL Wreckoning is more like a L with every other manufacturer.

If anyone can shed light on whether they think it’ll be too much bike on the trails that’d be great.

I felt my Large insurgent was really good size wise at 6', I'm on a L calling now and wish the TT was longer. I'd consider a XL but then the seat tube would be too tall for me.

Posted: Oct 8, 2019 at 5:58 Quote
I’m 6’1 on a large insurgent. I like it, but it seems every other bike I ride these days is way bigger so I’m sure an xl is fine. I have a 5’10 buddy riding and xl Capra and my buddies medium tues feels as long as my L insurgent. Just run a 35mm stem and it’ll bring it back a bit.

I run a 35mm and my local trails are super mellow. Just dropped my fork to 150 and I really like it for my daily riding. That combo might be a good medium ground if you’re worried about length.

Posted: Oct 8, 2019 at 6:21 Quote
HardingO wrote:
Hi again all, back with another sizing question (sorry).

Are there any shorter riders on an XL frame here?

I’m 5’11 and going to try an XL frame that is near me - unfortunately no evil dealers in my area.

I was originally concerned it’d be way too big but comparing the reach & wheelbase with a new Enduro, Mega290, Sentinal, Stage 6, Firebird, Megatower the XL Wreckoning is more like a L with every other manufacturer.

If anyone can shed light on whether they think it’ll be too much bike on the trails that’d be great.

you should look at TT length as well, that is a significant factor in how the bike will feel while seated, for example i tried an Orbea Rallon, which had longer reach than my current bike but shorter TT, and while it was fine standing, it felt really awkward climbing. likewise, an XL wreckoning may feel fine to you standing but feel way too long seated.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010320
Mobile Version of Website