Evil Owners Club

PB Forum :: Other
Evil Owners Club
Posted: Oct 8, 2019 at 6:26 Quote
sosburn wrote:
HardingO wrote:
Hi again all, back with another sizing question (sorry).

Are there any shorter riders on an XL frame here?

I’m 5’11 and going to try an XL frame that is near me - unfortunately no evil dealers in my area.

I was originally concerned it’d be way too big but comparing the reach & wheelbase with a new Enduro, Mega290, Sentinal, Stage 6, Firebird, Megatower the XL Wreckoning is more like a L with every other manufacturer.

If anyone can shed light on whether they think it’ll be too much bike on the trails that’d be great.

you should look at TT length as well, that is a significant factor in how the bike will feel while seated, for example i tried an Orbea Rallon, which had longer reach than my current bike but shorter TT, and while it was fine standing, it felt really awkward climbing. likewise, an XL wreckoning may feel fine to you standing but feel way too long seated.

I'm 6' currently riding an XL Insurgent. Last year I rode a size L Insurgent.

The L with a 50mm stem was amazing on XC type trails with equal number of ascents and descents. Great at punchy climbs and still stable and lively on the way down.

I wanted something a little more race feeling so I upsized to the XL. With a 50mm stem it gave me the extra front end stability I was looking for, but it is definitely a compromise on the climbs. The front wonders a bit pointing it uphill, especially when sitting because of the slack SA. It's hard to get into a comfortable climbing position on the saddle because you're constantly fighting to stay forward on the bike. I thought switching to a 35mm stem would help by shortening the reach but it just makes it more off balance and a little twitchy. I find it's more balanced and composed with a 50mm stem. I switched to an Ergon seat which is a bit longer and allows me to run it more forward on the rails which helped a bit.

I almost wish I had both sized bikes, because the L is so good on trail, and XL is so good going down. A steeper SA would definitely help to transfer some weight to a little more balanced position on the longer frame. So you just have to think about what type of trail you ride more. Hope this helps.

Posted: Oct 12, 2019 at 21:40 Quote
I've been having trouble in getting a hold of anyone at Works Components. The reason why I post this in here is because I was told a it was a couple months before they would release a 2 degree angleset headset of theirs that would fit Evils headtube size (44mm upper 62mm lower) But very out of the ordinary I haven't had any luck in hearing back from them via emails and I'm perplexed by this as previously, they were awesome with responding back very quickly.

Anyone else have any luck?

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 8:01 Quote
Sovereign v4...
Sovereign v4...

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 8:32 Quote
Anybody had to replace their frame bearings. My linkage ones and dogbone ones are shot

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 14:29 Quote
wellbastardfast wrote:
Anybody had to replace their frame bearings. My linkage ones and dogbone ones are shot

Yep, I did mine (insurgent) a few weeks back. I bought a set when I got the bike so I'd be good to go when needed.

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 16:16 Quote
Looks like I missed out on the blowout sale. Anyone have any ideas when the 2020 bikes will start piping up?

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 16:56 Quote
zeckgx wrote:
Looks like I missed out on the blowout sale. Anyone have any ideas when the 2020 bikes will start piping up?
The frames are still listed at 1899 except the Offering, which was never on sale.

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 17:26 Quote
Sorry medium calling is sold out

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 17:33 Quote
Oh sorry, thought I was being helpful. Didn't even look at the sizes.

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 22:22 Quote
kit-nz wrote:
wellbastardfast wrote:

Yep, I did mine (insurgent) a few weeks back. I bought a set when I got the bike so I'd be good to go when needed.

Is it easy enough to do

Posted: Oct 15, 2019 at 11:37 Quote
wellbastardfast wrote:
kit-nz wrote:
wellbastardfast wrote:

Is it easy enough to do

I splashed out on a set of proper cups and a press

https://www.enduroforkseals.com/products/tools/rear-suspension-tools/

and it was super easy. I did all the bearings in about 15 min with zero stress. I've used a ghetto press on a bike before and found it a scary experience, so money well spent in my book!

Posted: Oct 15, 2019 at 12:17 Quote
kit-nz wrote:

and it was super easy. I did all the bearings in about 15 min with zero stress. I've used a ghetto press on a bike before and found it a scary experience, so money well spent in my book!

This is what I ordered for my Insurgent.

Posted: Oct 15, 2019 at 12:36 Quote
kit-nz wrote:
kit-nz wrote:

Thanks for the info dude but jeez it would of been well cheaper to take it to a lbs

Posted: Oct 15, 2019 at 13:12 Quote
wellbastardfast wrote:
kit-nz wrote:
kit-nz wrote:

Thanks for the info dude but jeez it would of been well cheaper to take it to a lbs

You obviously haven't been to a bike shop in NZ! I try to do everything myself and don't mind investing in good tools. Also took the hit for my riding group, so they'll use it too.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.020723
Mobile Version of Website