Evil Owners Club

PB Forum :: Other
Evil Owners Club
Posted: Nov 6, 2019 at 6:08 Quote
Got the crown race swapped out at the shop and now it's smooth af tup

Thanks for confirming that the wrong crown race was the likely culprit.

Posted: Nov 6, 2019 at 6:15 Quote
brassmonkayy wrote:

Sounds like you need to find a new bike shop. There's no way they should have let that bike out the door in that condition.

Posted: Nov 6, 2019 at 6:54 Quote
chriskneeland wrote:
brassmonkayy wrote:

Sounds like you need to find a new bike shop. There's no way they should have let that bike out the door in that condition.

True. I've been going there for a few years now so I know all of the guys there and they're good mechanics and knowledgeable about what they do. This is the first mistake they've made on any of my bikes so I'm willing to let it slide since no real damage was done, but yeah I totally get where you're coming from. If it happens again, I'll probably look into another place.

Posted: Nov 8, 2019 at 11:28 Quote
Had one ride one ride on the coil so far it feels awesome. I will be keeping my air shock for less rowdy trails at races.

Posted: Nov 8, 2019 at 11:43 Quote
wellbastardfast wrote:
Had one ride one ride on the coil so far it feels awesome. I will be keeping my air shock for less rowdy trails at races.

She's a beaut! Really like the blue/red combo.

Posted: Nov 8, 2019 at 11:49 Quote
wellbastardfast wrote:

How big of a bottle can you fit on there with the fidlock?

Posted: Nov 8, 2019 at 12:59 Quote
sosburn wrote:
wellbastardfast wrote:

How big of a bottle can you fit on there with the fidlock?

600ml dude

Posted: Nov 8, 2019 at 13:00 Quote
mwolpin wrote:
wellbastardfast wrote:

She's a beaut! Really like the blue/red combo.

Cheers brother

Posted: Nov 9, 2019 at 19:14 Quote
Well here she goes... 27.5+ on my Offering.. I truly think this is the 'goldilocks' set up for me... (lower gyroscopic force = much faster turning, climbs much better, rails corners - simply just a bit more 'fun' - but you do lose some 'plow')

The problem is finding the right 27.5+ tire combo for an aggressive rider (ie. 3.0" width preferable to not drop BB / cranks too low; as the Offering is a 29" bike that 'can' accept 27.5+). I had a set of NN 3.0f / 2.8r and was reaching the limits of front end traction in the dry (never mind rear, had it sliding all over the place.. but thats fine).

So fast fwd to a properly 'wet day'.. front end traction was downright terrifying AND I managed to blow a hole in the rear (2 rides old) by tearing nob (nearly) off. Pressures were fine so lets not go there (18psi rear, 15psi front). Night and day different experience to DHF/DHR Maxxis' I've used on my 29" wheelset.

I get the feeling that tire manufactures kinda give the plus sizes a pass in 'seriousness of capability'.. as in 'shit, most ppl riding plus are just floating around anyways.. do we really need to think about lug spacing etc or can't we just stretch everything out?'

Sooo.... who is riding aggressively with a 27.5+ set up out there? What tire combo are you running? Pressures? Crank arm length? I would potentially go Magic Mary F / Hans R in 2.8" ea but honestly.. beside that setting the BB low, I am also put off Shwable by this whole situation. Otherwise, I could go 2.8 ea DHF / DHR.. which is proven combo.. but again.. low BB.. so that leaves me with the 3.0" Highroller II's... in Maxxis... which I also suspect I could fit the Highroller 3.0" in the rear as Maxxis usually fit a bit small (especially if you don't overinflate to stretch when new) OR lastly the Terrenne Chunk in a 3.0f / 2.8r.. another reason I like the idea of a front 3.0 (especially with a stiff sidewall) is gaining back some of the aforementioned 'plow'.

Anyways.. I am not totally off the 29" bandwagon.. but even with the shit NN's I was stunned just how good (and more importantly 'fun') the Offering rode.. and I mean it was good enough for trusty strava to put me in top 10 climbing trails and 1 second off the top 10 for DH trail the BC bike race ran thru.. so 27.5+ potential is not 'just in my head'. And did I mention it is fun too!? Smile

Posted: Nov 10, 2019 at 4:49 Quote
Yes, 3.0 tires get you away from the proven aggressive treads like a DHF. With that being said, I think the availability of such a tire has to do with market demand. Plus size tires tend to be used at lower pressures for slower speed climbing traction, floatation and comfort. 3.0 tires and up become an issue for the aggressive rider for a couple reasons. You start to lose cornering traction due to the width of the tire, increasing the contact patch that much decreases the bite, regardless of tread design. These tires also tend to want to “roll” off the rim when subjected to side loading in hard corners. Higher pressure can help but bigger volume tires can “bounce” if the pressures are too high. I think for the most aggressive riding nothing will beat a 2.3-2.5 29 tire.

Posted: Nov 10, 2019 at 6:40 Quote
DARKSTAR63: you raise valid points across the board, all of which I had previously considered before my little foray into the world of 'plus' size tires - that all being said - objectively - what I did find is that I was faster, with less effort, UP trails and was as fast (in some cases slightly faster) on most trails DOWN.

There is a bias variable here though - Knowing I was 'testing' this set-up I purposely stuck to fast blue / black trails with lots of dirt... ie) I picked 'safer' trails. When I put this set up (ie. NN 3.0f/2.8r) through more DH double black sections things fell apart rather quickly.. (it being wet didn't help either) which lends further credit to your points.

What I am after is addressing the above DH double black aspects.. which might be nigh on impossible given the physics of a larger tire and the points you highlighted. BUT I think these NN's played a significant role in failing.. they are just not the right tire for the job.!

Long story short - I am going to go with the highest grip possible up front, and something tougher in the rear. It is entirely possible the age old adage of 'just run DHF' will rule the day.. in a 2.8 f/r. But the HR II or Terrene Chunk both in 3.0" have me curious...

Posted: Nov 10, 2019 at 7:02 Quote
I mean the 3.0 Nokia’s gazzalodi’s performed flawlessly under my 04 bighit with monster t’s. I can only see positives here. Hahahahh

Posted: Nov 12, 2019 at 14:55 Quote
Just to update my own query -> I did swap back to the 29"s to do a back to back direct comparison (same trails, same bike, same conditions). Long story short - I was right: faster both up and down on the 27.5+ verified by GPS. Hard to believe, but those are the objective facts. but the bigger factor is the 'plus' set up was just more satisfying and fun!

The 29" were however 'safer' over the janky high speed rock and over drops etc. - but felt 'harsh' and slightly out of control in tight quarters in comparison to the plus set up.

Going to replace the (crap) NN's with WTB Vigi's in 2.8" front and back to mount to my 27.5s. Best tires I could find to do the job correctly..

As a result.. I have a beauty (nearly new) set of Industry Nine Enduro 305's (purple torches front / back) with double rainbow spokes which is the highest customization you can go with i9, HG driver, cushcore in the rear and 2.5" WT DHF's mounted... too flashy for me anyways!!

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009146
Mobile Version of Website