Evil Owners Club

PB Forum :: Other
Evil Owners Club
| Next Page
Posted: Nov 26, 2019 at 19:36 Quote
yourrealdad wrote:
Hello just bought a large Wreckoning LB with PUSH frame. I am trying to figure out what to do for a fork.

I am leaning towards a 160mm MRP Ribbon Coil. I just don't know what offset to get? It comes in 41, 46, and 51mm.

I also plan on probably putting a -1° angleset on there to slacken the HTA and steepen the STA.

If I do that doesn't the trail increase? If I ran 41mm offset would that basically negate the increase in wheelbase, but again increase trail?

If I do both of those do I then have too much trail and a floppy ride?

Stick with 51mm offset and -1° headset?

Thanks

May not be what you're looking for but I have same frame with Push shock, I went with the Fox 36 with the push ACS coil conversion and absolutely love it. I've only had about a month on it so far but have zero regrets.

Posted: Nov 30, 2019 at 9:10 Quote
Anyone run an EXT Storia on an Offering yet? I’m debating that or the 11-6. Last time I had an 11-6 I didn’t really use the dual circuit option, but the tuning and damping was amazing! Wondering if the Storia offers that level of performance for a bit less money and a lot less weight. Also I’ve been doing a lot of jumping in my DPX2. How does the bike jump with a coil?

Posted: Nov 30, 2019 at 9:32 Quote
kylar wrote:
Anyone run an EXT Storia on an Offering yet? I’m debating that or the 11-6. Last time I had an 11-6 I didn’t really use the dual circuit option, but the tuning and damping was amazing! Wondering if the Storia offers that level of performance for a bit less money and a lot less weight. Also I’ve been doing a lot of jumping in my DPX2. How does the bike jump with a coil?

Im interested in this too. While the monarch plus has been okay so far, i'm wondering about something more DH capability since the climb switch really firms up the bike.
Also wondering about the Intend Hover shock on an evil.

Posted: Nov 30, 2019 at 9:44 Quote
sosburn wrote:

Im interested in this too. While the monarch plus has been okay so far, i'm wondering about something more DH capability since the climb switch really firms up the bike.
Also wondering about the Intend Hover shock on an evil.

I was curious about that one too! Was thinking about printing out the cutout to see if it even fits.

Posted: Nov 30, 2019 at 19:12 Quote
does anyone have experience with having their monarch+ tuned by vorsprung for an evil?

Posted: Nov 30, 2019 at 20:46 Quote
Anyone successfully run a 2.6" on the rear of an original Insurgent? Found a Hans Dampf at a reasonable price and took a punt. Currently stuck in hospital so can't install to check... if it's a hard "no" then I'll leave it packaged for resale.

Posted: Dec 1, 2019 at 21:54 Quote
y9pema wrote:
DJRYNO4LIFE wrote:
Hey guys! looking for some input. Always wanted to get a calling, but was planning on keeping my dh bike if I did that as I usually do 10 or so days at whistler during the summer. Other than that all my riding is done at the local north shore mountains. At the price point it would be helpful if I was able to sell my dh bike and just put that towards having one bike aswell as keep the bike stable down to 3. So my question is, who here has an Insurgent? If so how do you like it as a one bike do it all? How does it handle on the gnarlier tech stuff? I know it won't be as comfortable on tech but would imagine it blasts through flow trails! Also has anyone had any issues with cracking or any other frame issues? Haven't had too many carbon bikes before, but the ones I have had haven't been very comforting with all the noises they make and previous history for cracking (first gen carbon operator).

Cheers,Mark

been on a calling last 2 season, amazing bike. prior to that had a insurgent for 2 years. Insurgent is a beast, had no issues riding WBP, or anything downhill, gnarly, techy, or jumpy in whistler, squamish, pemberton, mt. fromme, or coast gravity park, It climbed like a pig to me, and is the reason I got a calling. 80% of my riding is Midwest singletrack. The calling is so fun, and I think it def can hang with the insurgent up to black trails, double black the calling is not as fun as the insurgent was. You can def ride that stuff but the pucker factor is definitely increased. Evil bikes are pretty burly, and I have definitely tossed both from some sweet crashes. I have cracked the seatstay on my calling, still rode it for a few months before I noticed the crack lol. My bikes have both been very quiet I run onyx hubs, no weird creaks just hear the trail under your tires, minimal chain slap from eagle. Keep the DH bike for park abuse and get you a evil of your choice for "trail" duty. Offering looks really sweet too!

Hey man! Thanks for the reply! I finally got to swing a leg over a calling today (my buddy bought one) and I completely understand what you are saying now! Bike felt so flickable and playful! Hoping to pull the trigger on one this weekend! Thanks for the feedback man!

Cheers,Mark

Posted: Dec 2, 2019 at 14:01 Quote
kylar wrote:

We have actually been filling quite a few orders for people with EVIL's including the offering. The feedback that we have been receiving is very positive and similar to what we expect to see on any bike that it has been custom tuned for. If you guys have any questions about them feel free to send me a message or ask it here and I will be happy to answer.

Posted: Dec 2, 2019 at 14:06 Quote
Was seriously considering one of these Storia's for my Offering, eyeing up the weight savings vs the Push 11-6.. then I learnt that the spring type used with the Storia (where the majority of the weight savings came from) had a much shorter service live than the hypercoil (which is essentially a 'forever' coil) that comes with the Push. Happy to be proven wrong, but that is what I read / heard / was told. Great looking shock tho!

EXT-USA wrote:
kylar wrote:

We have actually been filling quite a few orders for people with EVIL's including the offering. The feedback that we have been receiving is very positive and similar to what we expect to see on any bike that it has been custom tuned for. If you guys have any questions about them feel free to send me a message or ask it here and I will be happy to answer.

Posted: Dec 2, 2019 at 19:58 Quote
That is a very interesting claim. Let me also preface my following statement with the information that I am a materials science engineer that has worked in quality control for several years. Without more information about the hypercoil or performing actual testing there is no way I can prove anyone wrong concerning what the relative lifespan of the two coils are when compared to one another nor do i know what one would define as "a much shorter service life".

However, what I can tell you is that EXT uses high quality coils that employ precise manufacturing techniques and consistent materials to ensure uniform materials properties throughout the entire length of the spring. Because of this they are known to have excellent fatigue life properties when compared to industry standard coils and titanium springs (Which are well documented to be very inconsistent in their claimed weight). At the end of the day though, based on that we have had no concerns about the coil life and the fact that many WC and EWS race programs are utilizing this coil for shocks intended for high end applications I would venture to guess most people would probably be willing to trade off the weight savings vs. having a shock that lasts maybe 20 -30% longer over a period of several years. Are you hearing of people wearing out springs quickly? Also do you recall where this information came from? I would really like to know more about how this was determined.

Posted: Dec 3, 2019 at 7:28 Quote
Not trying to open a can of worms, or start (rather continue as it has been debated on other forums ie, https://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/ext-storia-lok-avy-chubie-push-11-6-a-1018680.html ) a debate - but regarding what I read it surrounded the 'life cycle' of the spring itself being finite with this claim;

"One thing to consider with the Storia is that because the spring is so light, it has a finite fatigue life of "over 500,000 cycles"

And the apparent confirmation (not by EXT, rather by PUSH)

"500,000 cycles is roughly 8-10 months of riding for most trail riders. With that being said, the spring doesn't fail, it just looses elasticity and rate."

Re what I heard / was told; to be honest the EXT Storia was my first choice (as I had run an 11/6 & loved it but starting with a new build I wanted to try something lighter if possible) but I was dissuaded by a local (to BC, Canada) expert suspension shop. To be completely honest, I cannot remember the exact reasons (beyond the spring issue above) but I think it had something to do with 'leaking'? and / or difficulty to service.

That all being said I love the idea of this EXT.. the above withstanding, I would happily try one in place of my 11/6 - as awesome as it is, I never use both circuits on it and it is a bit heavy.

EXT-USA wrote:
That is a very interesting claim. Let me also preface my following statement with the information that I am a materials science engineer that has worked in quality control for several years. Without more information about the hypercoil or performing actual testing there is no way I can prove anyone wrong concerning what the relative lifespan of the two coils are when compared to one another nor do i know what one would define as "a much shorter service life".

However, what I can tell you is that EXT uses high quality coils that employ precise manufacturing techniques and consistent materials to ensure uniform materials properties throughout the entire length of the spring. Because of this they are known to have excellent fatigue life properties when compared to industry standard coils and titanium springs (Which are well documented to be very inconsistent in their claimed weight). At the end of the day though, based on that we have had no concerns about the coil life and the fact that many WC and EWS race programs are utilizing this coil for shocks intended for high end applications I would venture to guess most people would probably be willing to trade off the weight savings vs. having a shock that lasts maybe 20 -30% longer over a period of several years. Are you hearing of people wearing out springs quickly? Also do you recall where this information came from? I would really like to know more about how this was determined.

Posted: Dec 3, 2019 at 13:11 Quote
CDT77 wrote:
Not trying to open a can of worms, or start (rather continue as it has been debated on other forums ie, https://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/ext-storia-lok-avy-chubie-push-11-6-a-1018680.html ) a debate - but regarding what I read it surrounded the 'life cycle' of the spring itself being finite with this claim;

"One thing to consider with the Storia is that because the spring is so light, it has a finite fatigue life of "over 500,000 cycles"

"500,000 cycles is roughly 8-10 months of riding for most trail riders. With that being said, the spring doesn't fail, it just looses elasticity and rate."

Re what I heard / was told; to be honest the EXT Storia was my first choice (as I had run an 11/6 & loved it but starting with a new build I wanted to try something lighter if possible) but I was dissuaded by a local (to BC, Canada) expert suspension shop. To be completely honest, I cannot remember the exact reasons (beyond the spring issue above) but I think it had something to do with 'leaking'? and / or difficulty to service.

That all being said I love the idea of this EXT.. the above withstanding, I would happily try one in place of my 11/6 - as awesome as it is, I never use both circuits on it and it is a bit heavy.

No worries about the can of worms. This is interesting information and I appreciate having the discussion. I would take that Push statement with a grain of salt as it is beneficial to their marketing to question the reliability of competitors using a worst case scenario. However they are very knowledgable on these matters so I definitely dont think they are just making things up rather perhaps just selecting data favorably. The important take away is that at the "minimum of 500k" cycle rate they "begin to lose elasticity and rate" this does not mean that there is a rapid decline in performance. On the contrary it is probably very gradual and could take a very long time to change even a few %. In talking to EXT Italy they have said they expect them to last several years and do not see issues with changing spring rate. Also each shock is provided with 2 springs when you get it to have one for average use or one for possibly bike park. But mostly just it get the one that suits you best. If you find you only need one spring rate we would probably be willing to trade the other one out for the one you need to have as a spare. Also it should be noted if we happen to not get it right with either of them we initially send we will make sure we get you the correct coil that you need so it is set up correctly from the start. However I can only speak for USA customers in this regard as we cant guarantee other distributors will be willing to ensure this.

As for leaking we have not seen any yet but I will ask about it and see if this is something they have seen elsewhere. The service issue is definitely a real thing but is improving pretty quickly. I know a new authorized service center for Western Canada was just established in the last few weeks and it could possibly be the first one in the area. The way EXT does this though we feel is right. To become certified you must go to training at the factory in Italy and prove you can accurately service and work on these shocks to the high standard that is expected. I am sure this is the same reason push has very few authorized service centers besides themselves.

Posted: Dec 4, 2019 at 9:06 Quote
One question for the EXT-USA team:
Are you making a shock available for the Following MB 165x45.

EXT-USA wrote:
CDT77 wrote:

No worries about the can of worms. This is interesting information and I appreciate having the discussion. I would take that Push statement with a grain of salt as it is beneficial to their marketing to question the reliability of competitors using a worst case scenario. However they are very knowledgable on these matters so I definitely dont think they are just making things up rather perhaps just selecting data favorably. The important take away is that at the "minimum of 500k" cycle rate they "begin to lose elasticity and rate" this does not mean that there is a rapid decline in performance. On the contrary it is probably very gradual and could take a very long time to change even a few %. In talking to EXT Italy they have said they expect them to last several years and do not see issues with changing spring rate. Also each shock is provided with 2 springs when you get it to have one for average use or one for possibly bike park. But mostly just it get the one that suits you best. If you find you only need one spring rate we would probably be willing to trade the other one out for the one you need to have as a spare. Also it should be noted if we happen to not get it right with either of them we initially send we will make sure we get you the correct coil that you need so it is set up correctly from the start. However I can only speak for USA customers in this regard as we cant guarantee other distributors will be willing to ensure this.

As for leaking we have not seen any yet but I will ask about it and see if this is something they have seen elsewhere. The service issue is definitely a real thing but is improving pretty quickly. I know a new authorized service center for Western Canada was just established in the last few weeks and it could possibly be the first one in the area. The way EXT does this though we feel is right. To become certified you must go to training at the factory in Italy and prove you can accurately service and work on these shocks to the high standard that is expected. I am sure this is the same reason push has very few authorized service centers besides themselves.

Posted: Dec 4, 2019 at 12:22 Quote
I am not currently aware of them making the Storia available in that size but that is probably because they are focused on development of a fork. However, they have stated that they want us to let them know when people are asking for something out side of the current range of availability so they can gauge demand and that they are working on other projects so I will pass that along. Perhaps something that would cater to more short travel sizes is in the works? I am not sure though.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012359
Mobile Version of Website