Evil Owners Club

PB Forum :: Other
Evil Owners Club
Posted: Feb 13, 2020 at 15:04 Quote
I'm currently trying to decide between a Calling frame or a Cube Stereo 140 frame.

Currently riding a 2019 custom built Nukeproof Scout (140 Pike, GX drivetrain, XT brakes, reverb stealth, raceface / hope pro 4 / Dt Swiss revolution wheels, short stem wide bars etc.) The plan would be to move all my parts onto the new frame - seems like both would make for a fairly easy swap give or take one part.

Does anyone have any experience riding both if these frames/bikes and can provide some thoughts on how they compare?

Most of my riding is local singletrack with a good mix of flowy trails and technical (but far from expert level) descents, and the occasional visit to the local bike park.

Both frames seem suited to more aggressive trail riding while still being capable on the climbs. My impression is that the evil does a bit more with with a little less travel - could anyone back this up and justify the Calling over the Stereo?

Thanks!

Posted: Feb 15, 2020 at 17:39 Quote
Anyone ever cut down the seattube tubing that threads the Seatpost cable through their frame? If so, how did you go about cutting it down? Since I’m now using an AXS, I don’t need it and IF I could cut down that tubing just an inch, then I could run my dropper flush with my frame.

Posted: Feb 15, 2020 at 18:17 Quote
austenselk wrote:
Anyone ever cut down the seattube tubing that threads the Seatpost cable through their frame? If so, how did you go about cutting it down? Since I’m now using an AXS, I don’t need it and IF I could cut down that tubing just an inch, then I could run my dropper flush with my frame.

That sounds like a whole lot of nope.

Posted: Feb 15, 2020 at 19:37 Quote
Done it. Gained about an inch or so more insertion. Insert a long bit (you’ll likely need an extension) that just fits into that little guide tube, run drill for all of 2 seconds... it will grab and break or blow apart the tube section it grabbed. Turn bike over and shake out debris. This is process that was endorsed by Evil themselves. Did it on 2 Evils in my garage, no issues, worked perfectly.

austenselk wrote:

Posted: Feb 15, 2020 at 19:56 Quote
CDT77 wrote:
Done it. Gained about an inch or so more insertion. Insert a long bit (you’ll likely need an extension) that just fits into that little guide tube, run drill for all of 2 seconds... it will grab and break or blow apart the tube section it grabbed. Turn bike over and shake out debris. This is process that was endorsed by Evil themselves. Did it on 2 Evils in my garage, no issues, worked perfectly.

austenselk wrote:

This was endorsed by Evil??
Maybe i could run a 200mm post then...

Posted: Feb 16, 2020 at 5:52 Quote
Y'all really debating about cutting up your bikes? Lol have fun

Posted: Feb 16, 2020 at 6:02 Quote
oregontradesman wrote:
Y'all really debating about cutting up your bikes? Lol have fun

It's only some extra plastic. They're not the same length frame to frame. There was barely any excess on my size large insurgent, but on my XL it is super long. I figured who ever did the lay up just got lazy and didn't cut it off. I'm only running a 175 dropper so I don't hit it on full insertion. but if I want to 200mm I'd have to cut it down.

Posted: Feb 16, 2020 at 6:41 Quote
Yes - that is correct. I spoke with them - they instructed me on the proper procedure (as I have described). Please contact them directly if you need more assurance. The whole procedure took me less than 5 mins to complete. There is very VERY little danger to damaging anything in doing this..

sosburn wrote:
CDT77 wrote:

austenselk wrote:

Posted: Feb 17, 2020 at 16:32 Quote
bought a new following MB last weekend and boy does it creak no matter how many times I or the dealer disassemble, grease, torque. any advice or fixes would be greatly appreciated. waiting to hear back from evil. wish I could upload the video. its crazy loud and annoying.

Posted: Feb 17, 2020 at 16:43 Quote
CDT77 wrote:
Yes - that is correct. I spoke with them - they instructed me on the proper procedure (as I have described). Please contact them directly if you need more assurance. The whole procedure took me less than 5 mins to complete. There is very VERY little danger to damaging anything in doing this..

sosburn wrote:
CDT77 wrote:

What bit size did you use, if you can recall?

Posted: Feb 17, 2020 at 18:48 Quote
No sorry, don't recall. But it just needs to slide into the guide tube and catch it when you turn the drill on.. perhaps get on Evils chat feature on their website.. they can give you more detail.

austenselk wrote:
CDT77 wrote:

sosburn wrote:

Posted: Feb 17, 2020 at 19:35 Quote
CDT77 wrote:
No sorry, don't recall. But it just needs to slide into the guide tube and catch it when you turn the drill on.. perhaps get on Evils chat feature on their website.. they can give you more detail.

austenselk wrote:
CDT77 wrote:

Just thought to ask, but I get the point you’re conveying.

Posted: Feb 17, 2020 at 20:43 Quote
ormondmtb wrote:
bought a new following MB last weekend and boy does it creak no matter how many times I or the dealer disassemble, grease, torque. any advice or fixes would be greatly appreciated. waiting to hear back from evil. wish I could upload the video. its crazy loud and annoying.
For me it was the chain guide rubbing on the chainring.

Posted: Feb 18, 2020 at 1:18 Quote
ormondmtb wrote:

Also check the derailleur hanger area, the interface between the hanger and the frame. That's where mine creaked and the sound definitely wasn't appearing to come from there!!!

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006220
Mobile Version of Website