Evil Owners Club

PB Forum :: Other
Evil Owners Club
Author Message
Posted: Jan 5, 2021 at 8:58 Quote
that wreckoning is so sick. i lowkey want one but man that 4 month wait is not so sick haha

I made a guard out of some molded plastic. its a bit thicker, but all i had to do was take a blow dryer and mold it a bit to the curve of the frame, cut the rectangular piece, stick some velcro tape on the lower and upper rear triangle bits and then stick it on there, no zip ties rubbing the paint off the frame. keeps rocks out of the linkage too which is great

Posted: Jan 5, 2021 at 10:08 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
that wreckoning is so sick. i lowkey want one but man that 4 month wait is not so sick haha

I made a guard out of some molded plastic. its a bit thicker, but all i had to do was take a blow dryer and mold it a bit to the curve of the frame, cut the rectangular piece, stick some velcro tape on the lower and upper rear triangle bits and then stick it on there, no zip ties rubbing the paint off the frame. keeps rocks out of the linkage too which is great

I was thinking something like that also, buy some heavier plastic and heat it to form!?

And velcro, why didnt i think of that?

Posted: Jan 5, 2021 at 15:02 Quote
I have it come down to right above the chain stay bridge. It doesn't quite keep all the rocks out, but some moto foam does.
I have the frame wrapped so no issues using zipties. That matte black paint is super flat and would get scratched up really easy without some frame protection. IMO, it's a must and it looks even better with it.

Posted: Jan 11, 2021 at 6:56 Quote
I need some help with figuring out the sizing of the Evil Following V3 relative to other bikes of similar geometry and my current bike. I have no opportunity to test ride the Evil Following by the way.

The Evil sizing recommendations seem very different and Im now confused as to what to do. Current bike has an ETT that is 20mm shorter than the XL following with a reach that is ~60mm shorter. Im running a 100mm Stem on my current bike. Here are my questions and concerns that I need some guidance on.

Evil Sizing recommendations put me on a large at 6'1" (73"), but I'm concerned about the cockpit being too tight as I want to run a shorter stem (evil recommends 30-50mm). Just going by the ETT numbers I would have to run an 80mm stem to get a similar level of comfort. My wingspan is much longer than my height at 76".

Just going by reach numbers I could run a 40mm stem on the XL following and be in the same position as my Tallboy with a 100mm stem.

Current bike (2012 TallBoy LT Xl) has a steeper head angle by about 3 degrees and slacker seat angle by about 3 degrees, which explains why the ETT of the XL with a much longer reach on the Evil Following is so close to my current XL Tallboy.

The wheelbase on the XL following is a fair bit longer at 1227 relative to 1166 on my Tallboy. Im concerned that the additional 5+cm is going to have a big impact on maneuverability on technical tight climbs or decents. But the steep seat angle on the Evil would put me further forward relative to center so maybe not.

Too much to think about and need some advice from current owners.

Posted: Jan 11, 2021 at 7:04 Quote
You are riding a fairly dated bike at this point especially with that 100mm stem, so my recommendation is to check the bike shops in your area for something similar to the Evil and give that a test ride to check fit. Common brands bikes like a Santa Cruz Tallboy V4 or 2021 Specialized Stumpy Evo would be a good analogs to see how modern geometry fits for you.

Not everyone prefers super short 35mm stems and a lot (if not most) pros still run 50mm stems if you look at DH & Enduro bike checks, so I wouldn’t automatically assume that you want to go that short if you haven’t tried it yet.

As it is, I think the geometry from your current bike to anything modern is just too different to be trying to do a paper comparison like you are attempting. Geometry is a system that works together as a whole and has to be considered as a whole. No matter what size, a modern bike is going to put you in a different riding position than you are probably used to.

Posted: Jan 11, 2021 at 20:26 Quote
Iamkramer1 wrote:
Evil Sizing recommendations put me on a large at 6'1" (73"), but I'm concerned about the cockpit being too tight as I want to run a shorter stem (evil recommends 30-50mm). Just going by the ETT numbers I would have to run an 80mm stem to get a similar level of comfort. My wingspan is much longer than my height at 76".

I’m around the same proportions, 6-1 ish with a wingspan of 6-7. Been laughed at my whole life except for the rock climbers, to which I am a god.
Had me a V1 Wrecker and it felt decent but it was very upright while climbing. That was stolen and I got a V3 wrecker. Slightly longer, slacker and stuck with the Large. It works, feels good but I suspect an XL would have been better.

I would recommend going with the XL.
As for length, hold your hand up with fingers at 5cm. Now ignore it and have fun on that bike. You will be going 2x faster just because of the better geo and will appreciate any sense of extra length.

Posted: Jan 13, 2021 at 7:23 Quote
New v3 wreckoning on the way. Stoked!

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 1:28 Quote
How long chain do you guys run on your Wreckoning LB?

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 4:07 Quote
Wictorcarlsson wrote:
How long chain do you guys run on your Wreckoning LB?

You need to measure the chain out based on your own chain ring and cassette combo. Lots of YouTube videos on how to do this.

Posted: Jan 15, 2021 at 23:09 Quote
jor4s wrote:
Need some more glassware at grandma's

Posted: Jan 15, 2021 at 23:28 Quote
Did you try the coil and stock brakes and not like the feel of the coil with the DELTA link suspension or find there was not enough braking power?

jrocksdh wrote:
jor4s wrote:
Need some more glassware at grandma's

Posted: Jan 16, 2021 at 9:34 Quote
Hi Guys, Anyone got an Insurgent Main Pivot Kit that they would be happy to part with in the UK or Europe?

Posted: Jan 17, 2021 at 4:01 Quote



I went ahead and bought ”SKS Flap Guard” for the rear to protect from tyre rubb!
It seems to be Pretty good with the coverage, it isnt fixated yet though...

And the bike build so far!
I have everything new at home here BUT the hope wheels, ordered 20 november but stuck
In UK now waiting for the Brexit deal to work out ... sucks!

Posted: Jan 17, 2021 at 7:22 Quote
That fender is going to limit your tire clearance, pending the size you run / how tight you can zip it to the frame.


Wictorcarlsson wrote:



I went ahead and bought ”SKS Flap Guard” for the rear to protect from tyre rubb!
It seems to be Pretty good with the coverage, it isnt fixated yet though...

And the bike build so far!
I have everything new at home here BUT the hope wheels, ordered 20 november but stuck
In UK now waiting for the Brexit deal to work out ... sucks!

Posted: Jan 17, 2021 at 9:04 Quote
I think some frame protection film is a better bet for those frames with super tight clearance.
I have a rear fender on my '21 Wrecker, plenty of room with even Assegai 2.5. Evil definitely made some room back there.


 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007084
Mobile Version of Website