Evil Owners Club

PB Forum :: Other
Evil Owners Club
Posted: Jun 15, 2021 at 13:38 Quote
Cool, thanks. I'm keen to give her a go now. I'll see if I can go out and demo one this weekend.

I ride with friends on 140mm bikes (Sentinel/Scout) and I am blown away by what they can do on those things. They are incredibly talented riders though.

I don't know if any of you guys saw Chris Boice (former yeti guy, now Evil rider) podiumed (top 5 pro) at Bootleg canyon on the Following at a DH race. Bootleg is notoriously one of the roughest places to ride a mtb. If any of you guys have ridden there you know how crazy that is and speaks to the capability of these bikes (and the rider).

Posted: Jun 15, 2021 at 13:42 Quote
a-prince wrote:
Cool, thanks. I'm keen to give her a go now. I'll see if I can go out and demo one this weekend.

I ride with friends on 140mm bikes (Sentinel/Scout) and I am blown away by what they can do on those things. They are incredibly talented riders though.

I don't know if any of you guys saw Chris Boice (former yeti guy, now Evil rider) podiumed (top 5 pro) at Bootleg canyon on the Following at a DH race. Bootleg is notoriously one of the roughest places to ride a mtb. If any of you guys have ridden there you know how crazy that is and speaks to the capability of these bikes (and the rider).

ive come to realize that riding bikes is like 95% rider, 5% bike. a talented rider on a comfortable short travel set up will always be faster than someone inexperienced on the newest long travel bulldozer.

Also the sentinel is very much a plow bike. despite the rear travel number, those things are made to send.

Posted: Jun 15, 2021 at 13:43 Quote
So I dont have a ton of time on the Wrecking was mentioned in my previous post, but I let one of my friends ride it around for a bit and asked him what he thought of it (he didnt know really anything about the bike before that) and he thought it was a 27.5 bike, and he has a 150, 150 27.5 jeffsy. It felt plenty versatile with extra squish for some bailout coverage and extra traction, I will likely get a push 11.6 someday for this bike for the second circuit as mentioned above as well.
a-prince wrote:
So would you guys say the Wreckoning does not feel like a long travel bike?

I have been chasing bigger and bigger rigs the past 3-4 years (Santa Cruz V1 Hightower ---> Norco Range ---> Spec. Enduro), and recently got a Norco Optic. That Optic absolutely can keep up with enduro rigs and has completely transformed my thinking of needing long travel bikes. I really like the lively more precise feel smaller rigs have, and they are much easier to pedal for 4-5 hours. This is how I convinced myself that an Offering would be my enduro race rig for next year.

For those that have an offering do you feel like it can keep up with the big rigs? How do you find it rides?

Posted: Jun 15, 2021 at 14:16 Quote
a-prince wrote:

I have been chasing bigger and bigger rigs the past 3-4 years (Santa Cruz V1 Hightower ---> Norco Range ---> Spec. Enduro), and recently got a Norco Optic. That Optic absolutely can keep up with enduro rigs and has completely transformed my thinking of needing long travel bikes. I really like the lively more precise feel smaller rigs have, and they are much easier to pedal for 4-5 hours. This is how I convinced myself that an Offering would be my enduro race rig for next year.

For those that have an offering do you feel like it can keep up with the big rigs? How do you find it rides?

I find that any modern bike 115mm+ can be ridden pretty much anywhere, it’s just a matter of how fast you want to go. You take a Wreck on XC trails- you’ll just be a little slower on the climbs and tight switchbacks; and you can take a Downcountry bike down a black diamond DH run- you’ll just be a little slower in the steep rocky sections.

I owned a Nomad & Thunderbolt simultaneously and found that if I just tossed the Thunderbolt in the slackest mode with a 140mm 36, I really wasn’t held back too much and enjoyed the smaller, poppier feel. I was still able able to comfortably cruise with my friends on DH bikes on bike park trips as long as I didn’t get too carried away. I ended up selling the Nomad and going to one bike. I am currently on a Following w/ 130mm 36.

Basically I think you won’t be disappointed with really anything you choose- consider your personal riding style and go with what seems to logically compliment it. Even the “wrong” choice is unlikely to really hold you back.

Posted: Jun 15, 2021 at 20:19 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
a-prince wrote:

ive come to realize that riding bikes is like 95% rider, 5% bike. a talented rider on a comfortable short travel set up will always be faster than someone inexperienced on the newest long travel bulldozer.

Also the sentinel is very much a plow bike. despite the rear travel number, those things are made to send.

I agree, but there is some shit I would never try on an XC rig but would have no problem on a Super Enduro / DH Bike. As for the Offering, I've heard from a lot of people that it is very very planted for a 140 rig. To be honest, this was kind of a letdown for me. While I love smashing rock gardens, I was hoping the V2 would be similar to the V1 or Pivot Switchblade and have a ton of pop.

Also, anyone ridden a new insurgent? Does it feel like a Wreckoning? I had a Wrecker on pre-order but I think I'm going to swap to the insurgent, Any big differences in the ride feel besides the wheel size of course.

P.S. The sentinel is for sure a ploughing machine just look at the Geo!

Posted: Jun 15, 2021 at 20:24 Quote
boylagz wrote:
Nice bike, but I gotta ask why did you go with an air shock in the rear?

Posted: Jun 15, 2021 at 20:53 Quote
Kidklayko wrote:
newbermuda wrote:
a-prince wrote:

I agree, but there is some shit I would never try on an XC rig but would have no problem on a Super Enduro / DH Bike. As for the Offering, I've heard from a lot of people that it is very very planted for a 140 rig. To be honest, this was kind of a letdown for me. While I love smashing rock gardens, I was hoping the V2 would be similar to the V1 or Pivot Switchblade and have a ton of pop.

Also, anyone ridden a new insurgent? Does it feel like a Wreckoning? I had a Wrecker on pre-order but I think I'm going to swap to the insurgent, Any big differences in the ride feel besides the wheel size of course.

P.S. The sentinel is for sure a ploughing machine just look at the Geo!

The sentinel is a sweet bike. I have wanted one for a while. Cheaper than Evils for sure.

At the end of the day the fastest bike is probably the one you own. Best save the $$, buy some beer, and ride what you have. Good thing bikes are completely sold out so it isn't even an option to buy one.

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 8:21 Quote
Kidklayko wrote:
boylagz wrote:
Nice bike, but I gotta ask why did you go with an air shock in the rear?
Tnx. Wanted to try out how the Float X2 works with this frame. Came with a SDeluxe coil Ult. So far its been good, not super, still dialing it in. Ive noticed with Fox rebound damping last couple yrs is that its too light; fully closed still kinda fast. Had the dpx2 on my prev. Patrol and 2019 5010, same thing. Ill give it a couple more rides, then Ill switch to the RS coil if I cant dial it the way I want.

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 21:00 Quote

Insurgent assembled after waiting 8 months for a new long travel evil. Can’t wait to shred.

Posted: Jun 17, 2021 at 6:12 Quote
a-prince wrote:

I demoed a Norco Sight last year and that thing was a fricken hoot and stupid fast, but SO big in comparison. Way long and stable. Large Insurgent to Large Sight. I’ll take the playfulness of the Insurgent any day.

Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 13:40 Quote
BEARINGS!!!!

Anybody knows what "stock" bearings the V1 Insurgents uses?? EVIL doesn't send to my country.

I know that the official bearings are:

2 - 17289-2RS MAX Double Row Main Pivot Bearings
6 - 11197-2RS MAX Double Row Linkage Bearings

But I want to know what stock meassurments should I buy.

Thanks!!

Posted: Jun 23, 2021 at 6:08 Quote
V3 Wreckoning owners, has anyone put a 203 rotor onnthe rear and is there any reason why I shouldn't?
Thanks,

Mat

Posted: Jun 24, 2021 at 4:05 Quote
nsbichboy wrote:
V3 Wreckoning owners, has anyone put a 203 rotor onnthe rear and is there any reason why I shouldn't?
Thanks,

Mat

I have the fat TRPs at 203 for the DHR-EVO and they’re fine.

Posted: Jun 24, 2021 at 4:37 Quote
Cheers, thanks I'll grab a 23mm mount.

Posted: Jun 24, 2021 at 6:34 Quote
I’ve run the 203 SRAM and Trickstuff rotors. All good. 3mm more than rec. is fine.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008392
Mobile Version of Website