Evil Owners Club

PB Forum :: Other
Evil Owners Club
Posted: Oct 16, 2021 at 15:14 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
bermchaser wrote:
Hello everyone!

I’m currently racing the 2021 Trek Slash and will get a new bike built for next year. The Wreckoning seems to behave kind of similar to the Slash but with a tad more playfulness which is a good thing for when the tracks get tight and technical (mind you I race in Europe). But they really don’t advertise this as a race bike, not the brands image I suppose. Or perhaps the bike just doesn’t suit racing? Does anyone have any input to this? Should I just build me another Trek?

I don’t have the opportunity to test one, but the Wreck have really grabbed my attention for some reason.

Evil has a couple of racers on the EWS. from what i understand though, the wreckoning will be quite a departure from the new slash.

Yes, seen a few but there aren’t many at the races.
Departure, for better or worse? Or just different?

Posted: Oct 16, 2021 at 18:42 Quote
bermchaser wrote:
newbermuda wrote:
bermchaser wrote:
Hello everyone!

I’m currently racing the 2021 Trek Slash and will get a new bike built for next year. The Wreckoning seems to behave kind of similar to the Slash but with a tad more playfulness which is a good thing for when the tracks get tight and technical (mind you I race in Europe). But they really don’t advertise this as a race bike, not the brands image I suppose. Or perhaps the bike just doesn’t suit racing? Does anyone have any input to this? Should I just build me another Trek?

I don’t have the opportunity to test one, but the Wreck have really grabbed my attention for some reason.

Evil has a couple of racers on the EWS. from what i understand though, the wreckoning will be quite a departure from the new slash.

Yes, seen a few but there aren’t many at the races.
Departure, for better or worse? Or just different?

just different, depends what you like in your bike. short whippy chainstays vs stable wheelbase length; stiff and race-built vs designed for pop and fun times. i imagine the delta linkage is more progressive and supple than the ABP but ive never ridden the slash.

Posted: Oct 16, 2021 at 20:42 Quote
midwest-division wrote:
Ianjmalcolm wrote:
Just took delivery of an Evil Offering v2 gx. Interested to hear people’s suspension set up in terms of rebound, hsc and lsc.

The past two seasons on my last bike I was running a Fox 36 factory grip 2 fork and a dpx2 factory shock - it took some time to dial in and still never felt awesome. This season I have the Offering supplied RS Lyrik Ultimate up front and the Super Deluxe Ultimate in the back. I am blown away how easy it was to setup, very supportive but super buttery. And it rides so damn well. After the initial setup, I haven’t had to touch a clicker, doesn’t matter if I’m riding the bike park or single track. It’s a great platform. Here are my current settings. I’m right around 190lbs and like to charge. Hope this helps set a baseline for you.

Fork:
105psi for 20% sag
Rebound - 7 clicks from Closed/Slow
HSC - 2 click from Open/Soft
LSC - 6 clicks from Open/Soft
Volume Reducers - 3 (5 max)
Shock:
170 psi for 30% sag
Rebound - 6 clicks from Closed/Slow
LSC - 3 clicks from Open/Soft
Volume Reducers - 1 (3 max)

Are you really only running 170psi in your RockShock super deluxe ultimate? Im 140 pounds geared up and on my offering v1 I was running 170psi with a nar dog token. Just seems off for your weight and riding style.

Posted: Oct 17, 2021 at 14:51 Quote
Has anyone had an issue with the linkage bolt that holds the bottom of the shock on a v2 offering? Mine every 5km of riding is several rotations loose. I first noticed it on my 4th ever ride. Tightened it to the spec 9.6nm but it just keeps coming loose. Wondering if anyone has had a similar experience or a recommendation.

Posted: Oct 17, 2021 at 15:03 Quote
Haven’t had issues with any of the bolts on my V2 offering. Curious which bolt we are talking about. Shock body to frame? That torque spec is striking me as odd, but cant peak at that bolt right now.

But no. No issues there.

Posted: Oct 17, 2021 at 15:10 Quote
Ianjmalcolm wrote:
Has anyone had an issue with the linkage bolt that holds the bottom of the shock on a v2 offering? Mine every 5km of riding is several rotations loose. I first noticed it on my 4th ever ride. Tightened it to the spec 9.6nm but it just keeps coming loose. Wondering if anyone has had a similar experience or a recommendation.

Medium strength loctite

I have had issues with linkage bolts coming loose on my Specialized Enduro and after I put loctite on….no mo problems

Posted: Oct 17, 2021 at 15:32 Quote
a-prince wrote:
Ianjmalcolm wrote:

Medium strength loctite

I have had issues with linkage bolts coming loose on my Specialized Enduro and after I put loctite on….no mo problems

clean, degrease, loctite on upper and lower shock bolts and increasing torque on trunnion mounts +10 lb/in has solved all of my linkage bolt issues.

Posted: Oct 18, 2021 at 5:00 Quote
Had an upper trunnion bolt work itself out on my V3 wrecker. Blue Loctite on all linkage bolts and torqued to spec, no more issues. Sucks I had to buy a now bolt though, they aint' cheap for Evil.

Posted: Oct 18, 2021 at 6:49 Quote
Ianjmalcolm wrote:

I have an email saved from Evil directly saying on all shock bolts use blue loctite and +10in/lb over spec (so 95in/lb). I've done this with all 4 of my Evils and not a single loose shock bolt.

Posted: Oct 18, 2021 at 7:55 Quote
Interesting Tim. Does the Evil recommended +10 apply to just shock mounting bolts? Or are they specifying +10 for linkage too?

Posted: Oct 18, 2021 at 8:04 Quote
I have had this issue on my V3 Following and did as the others mentioned. I did speak to EVIL regarding the problem and they mentioned some tolerance issues with the lower shock mount reducers, not an EVIL issue but rather a Rockshox issue.

Posted: Oct 18, 2021 at 10:53 Quote
initforthedonuts wrote:
Interesting Tim. Does the Evil recommended +10 apply to just shock mounting bolts? Or are they specifying +10 for linkage too?

Shock bolts only according to the email

Posted: Oct 18, 2021 at 12:23 Quote
Thanks for the responses everyone. I heard the same thing from evil support. Going to get er in the stand tonight after work!

Posted: Oct 18, 2021 at 13:33 Quote
Lyrik Ultimate or MRP ribbon for a 150mm Calling? Front range Colorado trails, rocky tech with a lot of bike park action (when it's open) and high alpine rides. Going for an aggressive trail build. Rear shock is a fox dpx2 and I weigh around 150 in gear.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006965
Mobile Version of Website