close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

Evil Owners Club

PB Forum :: Other
Evil Owners Club
Posted: Nov 3, 2021 at 8:37 Quote
I've had an insurgent and now calling.. no creaking. I did have an issue with the insurgent at first due to a brake cable slapping the frame, but fixed it easily.

Posted: Nov 3, 2021 at 20:08 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
Yeah of all the things my wreckoning was, creaky was never one of them.

Have you noticed a slight lack of alignment at the reunion mount when bolting up the shock? I noticed this on a following and insurgent, both v3.

Posted: Nov 3, 2021 at 20:13 Quote
No creaks here on a v3 wrecker. Though loose linkage bolts from the factory are an issue. Easily fixed with some loctite, but it’s there.

Posted: Nov 3, 2021 at 22:14 Quote
my wreckoning was v2 i guess but no, it was fine build-wise. just not my cup of tea in the long run.

Posted: Nov 5, 2021 at 23:24 Quote
jhatfie wrote:

Thanks. I finally managed to get in a quick first ride today. Glad I went with the Medium, sizing feels perfect.

How tall are you? I'm exactly 6' and I got my insurgent V2 frame last week and was hesitating between a large and a medium. Ultimately got a large (as that was the only one I could get now). Still waiting on a cassette and a shock before i can ride. Hopefully it's the right size!

Posted: Nov 6, 2021 at 11:29 Quote
dyniper wrote:
How tall are you? I'm exactly 6' and I got my insurgent V2 frame last week and was hesitating between a large and a medium. Ultimately got a large (as that was the only one I could get now). Still waiting on a cassette and a shock before i can ride. Hopefully it's the right size!

I am 5'10". I have normal arm length, span matches my height and I tend to like my bikes a little more on the maneuverable end of the spectrum. I think if I was your height, I'd likely start leaning towards the Large. My buddy who is 6'1" has a L Insurgent on order, he normally rides XL bikes.

Posted: Nov 8, 2021 at 8:29 Quote
Hi all- I've been following this forum for over year, learned a ton, and ultimately bought an Ov2. After 9 months it finally arrived at my LBS in mid-October and I've had my hands on it for several weeks now. I just wanted to share my experience in case it helps inform someone else down the road.

First, I'm 5 foot 11 inches and 190 lbs geared up. The bike I had most recently been riding was a 2012 Knolly Chilcotin, 26", 160/160, size large. So that is my frame of reference. We live a rural area, not many bike shops around (2.5 hr drive to Ranch Camp in Stowe, VT where I got the Ov2) so demoing and trying out various bikes is nearly impossible- plus the whole Covid thing. So for size, fit, bike mannerisms I relied 100% on the intra-web.

I bought a size Large Offering version 2, GX build kit. I decided to run Fox factory DPX2 and 36. The only other change I made was Code RSCs, otherwise fully stock. I was looking for a do it all trail bike- fun, playful, capable/confidence inspiring on the jump lines and rowdy trails- but a decent pedaling rig. Here in VT it is all up and down. No 2,000 ft gravel road rides up to sendy down hills- it is more like 500-1,000 foot ups and downs, repeat, w/ lots of rocks and roots.

I was super nervous about the sizing, M vs. L as I'm on the cusp according to Evil's chart. First parking lot spin set my mind at ease- the L felt perfectly natural to me. No regrets after 5-6 rides, 10-15 hrs on the bike. Would a Medium be better? IDK, still haven't ridden one, but I don't think the L is wrong for me. I wouldn't mind trying a M at some point to compare, like others have said it may be more flickable/maneuverable. Probably depends on what the rider is used to as well.

Delta System does pedal like a dream- super pleased with pedaling efficiency, lack of movement. I'm running the DPX2 in full open, haven't even tried the trail or climb settings.

The bike is super stable at speed, begs for more- and corners like a dream. I'm playing with the air pressure/compression/rebound on the DPX2 just to learn the possibilities- and feel like I'm getting pretty close to the sweet spot. I'm feeling like I need more time to refine my body position before I make too many shock adjustments. It seems like the bike rewards a neutral stance for climbing and defending, and I need to NOT lean forward when climbing or scoot back when descending, modern geo has sorted that out and I just need to stay in the bike and be more subtle. Same goes for pre-loading/jumping, Ov2 has a different feel than the old Chilcotin. I'm having a lot of fun learning, and clearly need to clean up my handling habits before thinking too much on shock setup. I felt the speed/stability in rough stuff right off the bat, and am now getting the pop I wanted as I refine air/rebound- still some learning to do, but I'm super stoked with the initial experience.

I've still got the brand new never ridden Lyrik and Super Deluxe if anyone is interested, will list it on BuySell soon. I've heard some say that Evil bikes are designed around, and perform better with, RS suspension. That may be true, but I just felt a brand preference for Fox and while I've kept the RS just in case I couldn't get Fox to feel right, I'm now pretty confident that the DPX2/36 will do everything I want and more.

FWIW, I'm currently at 200 psi with 8 clicks of compression and 8 of rebound on the DPX2, would love to hear the set up others are running. I've got the air volume reducer kit in hand- may experiment with that next spring, having too much fun as is right now and only have a few weeks of riding left before the snow flies.

Anyway, thanks to this community for all the posts I've read over the years- appreciate the resource and am proud to be part of the Evil Owners Club.

Posted: Nov 8, 2021 at 9:01 Quote
Hey, I am new to Evil Bikes and I get an Insurgent V3 last June. I rode the bike for a while with the stock 350lbs coil spring form the GX build and it felt a little stiff. I contacted Evil to see if that was too stiff for me and they said yes. But they also said that if I go down the a 300lbs that that rebound damping might not be fast enough to mach it at a 350lbs spring. Any thoughts? Anyone done this in that past? Please feel free to reply if you need more info.

Posted: Nov 8, 2021 at 9:10 Quote
Muchogusto wrote:
newbermuda wrote:
Yeah of all the things my wreckoning was, creaky was never one of them.

Have you noticed a slight lack of alignment at the reunion mount when bolting up the shock? I noticed this on a following and insurgent, both v3.
I have noticed it is hard to mount the shock because you have to screw in one side then line up the other. But it’s not that much of a problem. If your having the alignment problem I would suggest checking the torques of those dog bone links below.

Posted: Nov 8, 2021 at 10:23 Quote
ethanrevitch wrote:
Hey, I am new to Evil Bikes and I get an Insurgent V3 last June. I rode the bike for a while with the stock 350lbs coil spring form the GX build and it felt a little stiff. I contacted Evil to see if that was too stiff for me and they said yes. But they also said that if I go down the a 300lbs that that rebound damping might not be fast enough to mach it at a 350lbs spring. Any thoughts? Anyone done this in that past? Please feel free to reply if you need more info.

get a 325

Posted: Nov 8, 2021 at 12:33 Quote
Any shorter riders (I'm 5'4) having any issues on small offerings? It seems way longer than the past models (reach/wheelbase).

Posted: Nov 8, 2021 at 13:22 Quote
I’m 5’5.5, 5’6 on a good day. Riding a small offering V2. Pretty happy. Seat angle could be better, but otherwise bueno.

Posted: Nov 8, 2021 at 14:22 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
ethanrevitch wrote:

get a 325
It’s a Super Deluxe. There’s not 325lbs springs. I think there’s only 300lbs or 350lbs

Posted: Nov 8, 2021 at 14:41 Quote
Get a Sprindex? Works great at dialing in spring rate with one spring.
Or.... Custom valve.

Posted: Nov 8, 2021 at 14:46 Quote
Abacall wrote:
Get a Sprindex? Works great at dialing in spring rate with one spring.
Or.... Custom valve.
I used that to get the 300lbs.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008154
Mobile Version of Website