Evil Owners Club

PB Forum :: Evil
Evil Owners Club
Posted: May 15, 2022 at 7:45 Quote
Randomgoodness wrote:
Can anyone provide me with a second opinion on the Lyrik Ultimate fork (150mm) on the Evil Offering? This is my first RockShox fork and I either can't tune it, or my expectations coming from a 160mm Fox Fit4 are too high. I'm a lightweight rider, only 145 lbs, and this fork is extremely harsh, it is not plush whatsoever. Going downhill I feel every bump, it just doesn't feel like the Fox products.

I've tried removing all the tokens and running various pressures (70 to 90 PSI) and I can't figure it out. What are others doing, or is this just how the Lyrik rides?

Thanks for any advice, I'm almost at the point of selling the Lyrik and installing a Fox Grip 2.

Your experience seems to be the opposite of my experiences on lyrik forks. Do a lower service and report back. Do you know which air spring it has?

Posted: May 15, 2022 at 8:32 Quote
dirtnapped wrote:
When was it serviced last? My Lyrik Ultimate (on a different bike) feels really, really good, and I’ve found there’s a decent range where it feels good. I keep buying Lyrik’s due to how easy they are to set up and service. A simple drop off the lowers, cleaning, and new oil makes a big difference though.

Thanks for the replies guys. The bike is brand new, less than 10 rides on it.
Is it possible the shock is defective?

Given its good reviews, and the opinion that is easy to setup and supposedly plush I'm beginning to think there is something wrong fork. My experience has been nothing but frustrating, continually tinkering and I still find the ride harsh.

It has the latest air spring, the bike is a 2021, purchased last fall. I put a few rides on it before the snow fell, just getting back on the bike this spring.

Posted: May 15, 2022 at 8:38 Quote
Randomgoodness wrote:
dirtnapped wrote:
When was it serviced last? My Lyrik Ultimate (on a different bike) feels really, really good, and I’ve found there’s a decent range where it feels good. I keep buying Lyrik’s due to how easy they are to set up and service. A simple drop off the lowers, cleaning, and new oil makes a big difference though.

Given its good reviews, and the opinion that is easy to setup and supposedly plush I'm beginning to think there is something wrong fork. My experience has been nothing but frustrating, continually tinkering and I still find the ride harsh.

It has the latest air spring, the bike is a 2021, purchased last fall. I put a few rides on it before the snow fell, just getting back on the bike this spring.

Interesting.. Have you deflated the fork completely and then cycled the fork a few times for every 10 psi added until you reach desired air spring pressure?

Posted: May 15, 2022 at 8:46 Quote
[Quote=

Interesting.. Have you deflated the fork completely and then cycled the fork a few times for every 10 psi added until you reach desired air spring pressure?[/Quote]

Good question. I've deflated the fork so many times to tinker with it, that I've forgotten. At first, I was cycling it, not every 10, maybe every 25 psi but the last few times I definitely didn't cycle it. I will deflate it again this morning, ride it and report back.

For comparison, has anyone ridden the Fox Grip 2 vs the Lyrik Ultimate? Should the ride be similar?

O+
Posted: May 15, 2022 at 8:52 Quote
It could be defective, but I’d still drop the lowers and do a service. I just did mine a week or so ago, and having fresh grease and lubricated foam rings can really make a difference. I like to mix a bit of slick honey with the oil I’m soaking the foam rings in (use straight oil for the lowers). It seems to help keep them feeling slick longer than straight oil.

Posted: May 15, 2022 at 9:00 Quote
Randomgoodness wrote:
[Quote=

Interesting.. Have you deflated the fork completely and then cycled the fork a few times for every 10 psi added until you reach desired air spring pressure?

Good question. I've deflated the fork so many times to tinker with it, that I've forgotten. At first, I was cycling it, not every 10, maybe every 25 psi but the last few times I definitely didn't cycle it. I will deflate it again this morning, ride it and report back.

For comparison, has anyone ridden the Fox Grip 2 vs the Lyrik Ultimate? Should the ride be similar?[/Quote]

I do a lower service with new forks. QC has been lacking over the past few years with everything.

Posted: May 15, 2022 at 9:32 Quote
Randomgoodness wrote:
dirtnapped wrote:

I had a very similar experience to you with my Zeb on my Offering. First RS product for me coming from years of Fox use. The Zeb was brand new and felt super harsh. I was running zero tokens and compression wide open. Compared to my 38 it was an entirely different fork where I ran tokens and a fair bit of compression.

After about half a season of use something changed with the fork and I started bottoming out too often and the fork started to feel better. I have no idea what changed but I started to add tokens and compression dampening. Now I’ve got three tokens in there and compression halfway closed. My 38 is still a much plusher fork and overall I prefer it but the Zeb still gets the job done.

Hopefully this helps you? I totally get where you are coming come though. Drop the lowers, replace oil, and check your air spring for excess grease.

O+
Posted: May 16, 2022 at 7:37 Quote
Hey all. Has anyone ridden both a v1 and v2 Offering? Can you comment on differences? I'm most concerned about reach but interested in any noticeable differences in the actual fit and ride.

I have the chance to get a L offering v1 frame that I can afford now. Frame only so no easy way to test ride. I'm 187cm (6''1.5") tall but my arms are 4 inches longer than my height (ape index +4). So, tend to like really long reach bikes but typically don't like XL bikes. I rode a L v2 Offering last summer for a couple of days and liked it a lot. It felt a bit small and BMX-ish to me (not a bad thing). Fun as heck, climbed tech like a goat but not sure if it would end up being the last word in all day comfort for long rides for me. The reach on the v1 is 14mm shorter and I'm concerned that it'll just be too small. Note: I also demoed an XL v2 and begged them to give me back the Large. Anyway, just worried that I could end up feeling more cramped than I want to on a v1. TIA.

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 7:53 Quote
Muchogusto wrote:
Randomgoodness wrote:
dirtnapped wrote:

Thanks for the tip, deflated the fork completely and cycled every 10 PSI until I reached about 80. Fork feels much better but it's still not at the level of my wife's Fox 36 Grip 2, the Grip 2 just seems to glide over rough terrain. I'm going to continue to play with the settings, I feel like I'm much closer.

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 7:58 Quote
mfaughn wrote:
Hey all. Has anyone ridden both a v1 and v2 Offering? Can you comment on differences? I'm most concerned about reach but interested in any noticeable differences in the actual fit and ride.

I have the chance to get a L offering v1 frame that I can afford now. Frame only so no easy way to test ride. I'm 187cm (6''1.5") tall but my arms are 4 inches longer than my height (ape index +4). So, tend to like really long reach bikes but typically don't like XL bikes. I rode a L v2 Offering last summer for a couple of days and liked it a lot. It felt a bit small and BMX-ish to me (not a bad thing). Fun as heck, climbed tech like a goat but not sure if it would end up being the last word in all day comfort for long rides for me. The reach on the v1 is 14mm shorter and I'm concerned that it'll just be too small. Note: I also demoed an XL v2 and begged them to give me back the Large. Anyway, just worried that I could end up feeling more cramped than I want to on a v1. TIA.

I haven't ridden both the V1 and V2 but I would be less concerned with the reach and more concerned with the top tube length. The top tube length is more indicative of your seating position, this is where you'll feel cramped, whereas reach is a measurement of your standing riding position.

O+
Posted: May 16, 2022 at 8:06 Quote
Randomgoodness wrote:
mfaughn wrote:

I haven't ridden both the V1 and V2 but I would be less concerned with the reach and more concerned with the top tube length. The top tube length is more indicative of your seating position, this is where you'll feel cramped, whereas reach is a measurement of your standing riding position.

this for sure. i had a wreckoning in the past and while it was very short by modern reach standards (XL fitted like a large), it was long when seated. the offering has less of this problem but it is still something to be aware of. the TT lengths between the two arent drastically different so id say you would hardly notice the 14mm in reach unless testing back to back, and you can always run a 10mm longer stem.

O+
Posted: May 16, 2022 at 9:38 Quote
mfaughn wrote:

I'm 6'2" long torso, even ape index on a v2 running a 50mm stem. Very appreciative of the longer reach. If looking at a v1 I would have gone xl.

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 10:06 Quote
I'd run less air and more tokens to increase the small bump sensitivity. I'm about 155 and am running 68psi and 1 1/2 tokens. You had said you were at 80psi (with no tokens) which is above the chart. The C1 air spring in the 2021 fork reduces the small bump action but keeps the fork higher in its travel thus run less air and more tokens if you want more small to mid hit.
Muchogusto wrote:
Randomgoodness wrote:
Can anyone provide me with a second opinion on the Lyrik Ultimate fork (150mm) on the Evil Offering? This is my first RockShox fork and I either can't tune it, or my expectations coming from a 160mm Fox Fit4 are too high. I'm a lightweight rider, only 145 lbs, and this fork is extremely harsh, it is not plush whatsoever. Going downhill I feel every bump, it just doesn't feel like the Fox products.

I've tried removing all the tokens and running various pressures (70 to 90 PSI) and I can't figure it out. What are others doing, or is this just how the Lyrik rides?

Thanks for any advice, I'm almost at the point of selling the Lyrik and installing a Fox Grip 2.

Your experience seems to be the opposite of my experiences on lyrik forks. Do a lower service and report back. Do you know which air spring it has?

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 11:10 Quote
kfreedirt wrote:
I'd run less air and more tokens to increase the small bump sensitivity. I'm about 155 and am running 68psi and 1 1/2 tokens. You had said you were at 80psi (with no tokens) which is above the chart. The C1 air spring in the 2021 fork reduces the small bump action but keeps the fork higher in its travel thus run less air and more tokens if you want more small to mid hit.
Muchogusto wrote:
Randomgoodness wrote:

Thanks, the 80 PSI was just a first blush, I will certainly try a lower PSI tomorrow. Will report back.

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 14:11 Quote
Just got a Following and im loving it. Here is a couple things I have noticed. The stock Rockshox Deluxe bottoms out very easily with the stock 2 volume tokens. I am not very heavy and it still bottoms out on rocky terrain. I am buying a Rockshox GnarDog token to remediate this issue. I purchased mine on the BuyandSell and it came with A Maxxis Assegai and an Agressor. They rolled extremely slow so I purchased a Dissector/Rekon tire combo and the bike feels like a rocket ship. However, the weight. I weighed my Following originally when it still had the Assegai/Agressor tire combo and my bathroom scale says that it weighed 35 pounds. That seems extremely off. All of the reviews that I could find online of an XL following said that it weighed around 29 or 30 pounds. Mine is the GX build but does not have extremely heavy parts and now with the Dissector/Rekon combo that should save about a pound of weight. How much does your Evil's weight? Mine is the 2021 frame.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.015378
Mobile Version of Website