Evil Owners Club

PB Forum :: Evil
Evil Owners Club
Posted: May 19, 2022 at 19:14 Quote
Muchogusto wrote:
ethanrevitch wrote:
You think the knocking sound is really anything else?

My insurgent made a weird knocking sound when I was running too much preload on my ext. I also had a creak coming from my bottom bracket that was silenced with a Wheels ABEC 3 BB and some quality grease on the threads. Are you running a bunch of preload? Also, a buddy of mine took delivery of a v3 offering that was shipped without conical washers in on the main pivot. Have you every fully disassembled the linkage and pivot, cleaned, greased and torqued back to spec?
No I haven't gotten around to it yet. Will check after I race this weekend. Thanks for the tip. l'll post back here about what happens.

Posted: May 19, 2022 at 19:20 Quote
ethanrevitch wrote:

Quick way to rule out chain slap: shift to the largest cog and do a DH run. It's large enough that it keeps the chain tensioned and further away from the chainstay that it might be slapping.

If you are 100% certain it's chain slap, what chainring are you running?

When I built up my offering recently, I also thought it had chainslap. Turned out that I forgot to install these on the frame for the shifter/brake housing. The clanking sound, that echoed through the frame loudly, was the housing bouncing around at those entry/exit points for the internal routing near the shock area.

Posted: May 19, 2022 at 22:35 Quote
krau wrote:
ethanrevitch wrote:

Quick way to rule out chain slap: shift to the largest cog and do a DH run. It's large enough that it keeps the chain tensioned and further away from the chainstay that it might be slapping.

If you are 100% certain it's chain slap, what chainring are you running?

When I built up my offering recently, I also thought it had chainslap. Turned out that I forgot to install these on the frame for the shifter/brake housing. The clanking sound, that echoed through the frame loudly, was the housing bouncing around at those entry/exit points for the internal routing near the shock area.

I just tested again. No "chain slap." I did tighten my main pivot and one of the dog links. Might have been it. I'll see this weekend though.

Posted: May 24, 2022 at 8:20 Quote
ethanrevitch wrote:
I just tested again. No "chain slap." I did tighten my main pivot and one of the dog links. Might have been it. I'll see this weekend though.

Find the culprit?

Posted: May 24, 2022 at 11:29 Quote
What do you think of my Uprising? (a few more photos on my profile)

Posted: May 24, 2022 at 11:32 Quote
Muchogusto wrote:
ethanrevitch wrote:

Find the culprit?
Nah not for sure. But I’m 95% sure it’s the chain. Because when I drop it in the biggest cog there’s almost no sound.

Posted: May 24, 2022 at 11:33 Quote
ethanrevitch wrote:
Slyv166Na wrote:

That’s sick! I’ve seen those OG Evil Bikes and they looks is sick!!!
They look just as pretty as the new ones for me!

Posted: May 24, 2022 at 11:35 Quote
Slyv166Na wrote:
ethanrevitch wrote:
Slyv166Na wrote:

That’s sick! I’ve seen those OG Evil Bikes and they looks is sick!!!
They look just as pretty as the new ones for me!
Agreed!

Posted: May 24, 2022 at 11:40 Quote
I am probably going to take the rear triangle off this week. Any tips? I have never disassemble an Evil linkage. What should I look for/be careful for? Anyone got any tips for getting the flip chip out easier?

Posted: May 24, 2022 at 19:14 Quote
ethanrevitch wrote:
I am probably going to take the rear triangle off this week. Any tips? I have never disassemble an Evil linkage. What should I look for/be careful for? Anyone got any tips for getting the flip chip out easier?

I do the following once a month if I’m riding a lot. Remove shock, rear wheel, and chain. Remove dog bones and flip chips. Use a bungee cord or two to suspend rear triangle from seat rails prior to removing the main pivot. Clean everything thoroughly and pack the pivots with quality grease. Reassemble, apply blue loctite to cleaned bolt threads if needed and overtorque trunnion shock bolts by 10 lb-in.

I go through a lot of q-tips to clean all of the pivots and bearing faces. I do this over a drop cloth so the conical pivot and shock spacers don’t roll away if they fall out of the frame during disassembly.

Posted: May 24, 2022 at 21:36 Quote
fredro wrote:
Thorough

Yeah pretty overkill but it beats replacing bearings.

Posted: May 24, 2022 at 22:16 Quote
Muchogusto wrote:
fredro wrote:
Thorough

Yeah pretty overkill but it beats replacing bearings.
I hear ya man.

Posted: May 25, 2022 at 0:30 Quote
Muchogusto wrote:
ethanrevitch wrote:

I do the following once a month if I’m riding a lot. Remove shock, rear wheel, and chain. Remove dog bones and flip chips. Use a bungee cord or two to suspend rear triangle from seat rails prior to removing the main pivot. Clean everything thoroughly and pack the pivots with quality grease. Reassemble, apply blue loctite to cleaned bolt threads if needed and overtorque trunnion shock bolts by 10 lb-in.

I go through a lot of q-tips to clean all of the pivots and bearing faces. I do this over a drop cloth so the conical pivot and shock spacers don’t roll away if they fall out of the frame during disassembly.
Got any tips on disassembling the old Uprising?

Posted: May 25, 2022 at 5:43 Quote
Slyv166Na wrote:
Muchogusto wrote:
ethanrevitch wrote:

Got any tips on disassembling the old Uprising?

I’ve never seen an uprising in person.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008846
Mobile Version of Website