Evil Owners Club

PB Forum :: Evil
Evil Owners Club
Posted: Jun 28, 2022 at 20:20 Quote
inktender wrote:
Ianjmalcolm wrote:
Anyone had any positive experiences with Evil's warranty/crash replacement program? I had a wet log on a skinny make contact with my non-drive side rear triangle (Offering V2). Shop says it cracked the rear triangle. Hard to describe how light of an impact this, was but I assure you it was light. Evil is calling it a crash replacement. I am happy to pay but it does feel like a bit of a slap in the face for a 10K CAD bike that is basically rendered useless after one light impact.

I would recommend checking out Robert's composites in Vancouver if going through evil gets you nowhere. They do great carbon bike repair; I sent them my rear triangle off my M16 (put a massive crack in the seatstay) and had it back within three weeks (I live in Calgary and shipped it out.)
Bike has been great since then and that was about 5 years ago now.

I appreciate that and will look into them.

It was truthfuly more of a concern where I feel like I own an expensive frame that isn't backed by the manufacturer. I am hearing from my shop that deals with a number of manufacturers and has stated that a similar issue wasn't treated in their opinion well by Evil. Their experience was "this wouldn't even be a conversation with Pivot or SC". Just a little bummed because everything else had been great with Evil.

O+
Posted: Jun 28, 2022 at 22:27 Quote
Ianjmalcolm wrote:
inktender wrote:
Ianjmalcolm wrote:
Anyone had any positive experiences with Evil's warranty/crash replacement program? I had a wet log on a skinny make contact with my non-drive side rear triangle (Offering V2). Shop says it cracked the rear triangle. Hard to describe how light of an impact this, was but I assure you it was light. Evil is calling it a crash replacement. I am happy to pay but it does feel like a bit of a slap in the face for a 10K CAD bike that is basically rendered useless after one light impact.

I would recommend checking out Robert's composites in Vancouver if going through evil gets you nowhere. They do great carbon bike repair; I sent them my rear triangle off my M16 (put a massive crack in the seatstay) and had it back within three weeks (I live in Calgary and shipped it out.)

It was truthfuly more of a concern where I feel like I own an expensive frame that isn't backed by the manufacturer. I am hearing from my shop that deals with a number of manufacturers and has stated that a similar issue wasn't treated in their opinion well by Evil. Their experience was "this wouldn't even be a conversation with Pivot or SC". Just a little bummed because everything else had been great with Evil.

I completely understand that. Would have been over a year to get a new rear end from intense when I was at the bike shop and they recommended this Roberts to me saying it would be much less of a headache. It was around 500 for the repair and paint match and you can't even tell where it starts or ends. Hopefully my evil just stays in once piece... seems reading through the thread that they can be a little fragile for what they are. Took a huge impact to crack the intense frame.

O+
Posted: Jun 29, 2022 at 7:07 Quote
Ianjmalcolm wrote:
inktender wrote:
Ianjmalcolm wrote:

Evil has a history of doing this. When i bought a wreckoning a few years ago, i looked at plenty of forum posts about how peoples frames cracked from things that seemed abnormal and then evil wouldnt warranty, always had to do crash replacement. with all the other options currently available that have no-questions-asked warranties (like sc and pivot) especially when evil pricing is about the same, i wouldnt buy an evil again.

Posted: Jun 29, 2022 at 8:35 Quote
As unfortunate as it is no bike company will warranty a frame from an impact/crash. It’s just the way it is. Free frame warranties are limited to “craftsmanship defects.”

Even Santa Cruz will not warranty for an impact. Check out this video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tP_zKzbsNjY

Posted: Jun 29, 2022 at 9:16 Quote
a-prince wrote:
As unfortunate as it is no bike company will warranty a frame from an impact/crash. It’s just the way it is. Free frame warranties are limited to “craftsmanship defects.”

Even Santa Cruz will not warranty for an impact. Check out this video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tP_zKzbsNjY

Really good video. Thank you for sharing. It is counter to what I had heard, but likely the more common result with SC/Pivot/etc.

He makes the point that I think is very much in line with my current feeling, "I own a bike that the manufacturer does not recommend riding on mountain bike trails."

Posted: Jun 29, 2022 at 9:17 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
Ianjmalcolm wrote:
inktender wrote:

Evil has a history of doing this. When i bought a wreckoning a few years ago, i looked at plenty of forum posts about how peoples frames cracked from things that seemed abnormal and then evil wouldnt warranty, always had to do crash replacement. with all the other options currently available that have no-questions-asked warranties (like sc and pivot) especially when evil pricing is about the same, i wouldnt buy an evil again.

Yeah that is where I am currently sitting on next bike. "Great ride, looks cool, goes high and fast, don't let it touch literally anything".

Posted: Jun 29, 2022 at 9:53 Quote
a-prince wrote:

Specialized is very lenient and helpful with damage to their frames. They even replace the warranty frames with the s-works model sometimes.

O+
Posted: Jun 29, 2022 at 11:35 Quote
Xanderxcl wrote:
a-prince wrote:

Specialized is very lenient and helpful with damage to their frames. They even replace the warranty frames with the s-works model sometimes.

specialized is pretty good, ive dealt with SC a few times and have never had to pay aside from once when it was unavoidably my fault. When i did have to deal with Evil, it was because i tried to swap the linkage into the x-low position after my first ride on it, and one of the bolts sheared. Even after explaining that i had had the frame for all of 4 days and had done nothing from the factory set up, they still implicated it was my fault.

O+
Posted: Jun 29, 2022 at 12:21 Quote
a-prince wrote:

Not to sound like a shill, but I started working at a Trek store a couple of months ago and seeing their customer care from the inside is pretty mind-blowing. Even if I didn’t work for them and get hookups, I would highly consider buying a Trek.

Example: Customer brought in a bike a couple of weeks ago, that they had bought second-hand (so no warranty) and literally folded in half in a crash (so not warranty). Although it was most assuredly not a warranty job, Trek agreed to replace the frame like-for-like as a goodwill gesture with zero quibbling. I’ve seen a lot of very generous warranty claims over the past couple of months.

Posted: Jun 29, 2022 at 15:36 Quote
Xanderxcl wrote:
a-prince wrote:

I have a 2020 Enduro that was cracked from a down tube strike. Spec. gave me a 30% off crash replacement for a new frame. I was happy with it. No way I’m going to find a cheaper frame, but that was also after 1.5 seasons of use.

Posted: Jun 29, 2022 at 22:24 Quote
Transition is probably the best company to deal with as far as frame replacement, based on personal experience and those of riding buddies.

Posted: Jun 30, 2022 at 18:17 Quote
Looking for a rear triangle for a XL Calling. Anyone have one?

Posted: Jul 3, 2022 at 23:05 Quote
seismicninja wrote:
Looking for a rear triangle for a XL Calling. Anyone have one?
Ooo that's going to be kinda hard to find because as you probably know they sadly don't make the Calling anymore. I do know a guy is trying to unload his XL Calling frame on Facebook "Evil Owners Club." PM me I can send you his contact info.

O+
Posted: Jul 4, 2022 at 9:48 Quote
tuupj wrote:
Somebody here that have ridden the insurgent and the wreckoning?

I have a insurgent, size M, it's good, but sometimes I think that a size L was better for me, or rides better, more stable, faster.

My height is 1.82m / 5.971128609 ft., converter Razz .

Now I'm thinking of building a wreckoning, maybe not now, but in the future. The size M wreckoning has almost the same wheelbase, reach, chainstay length as the insurgent.

Should I go for a size L on the wreckoning or should I stay on a size M? Because of the 29 wheels that the bike will feel bigger and therefore my problem about sizing is solved?

182cm is 71.65" (5'-11 1/2"+). You'd be cramped on a medium. You're way better off on a large.

Posted: Jul 4, 2022 at 10:40 Quote
HouseofDaedalus wrote:
tuupj wrote:
Somebody here that have ridden the insurgent and the wreckoning?

I have a insurgent, size M, it's good, but sometimes I think that a size L was better for me, or rides better, more stable, faster.

My height is 1.82m / 5.971128609 ft., converter Razz .

Now I'm thinking of building a wreckoning, maybe not now, but in the future. The size M wreckoning has almost the same wheelbase, reach, chainstay length as the insurgent.

Should I go for a size L on the wreckoning or should I stay on a size M? Because of the 29 wheels that the bike will feel bigger and therefore my problem about sizing is solved?

182cm is 71.65" (5'-11 1/2"+). You'd be cramped on a medium. You're way better off on a large.
The medium does in fact go to around 6ft at the top end. (5’6”-6ft) I am 5’9” and on a medium and it works good. I would do a medium if I were you. Most people my hight ride medium Insurgents.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014854
Mobile Version of Website