Evil Owners Club

PB Forum :: Evil
Evil Owners Club
O+
Posted: Aug 2, 2022 at 16:57 Quote
initforthedonuts wrote:
What!? Evil actually stood behind their premium product? Say it ain’t so! I thought it was all a giant conspiracy to sell crap bikes for exorbitant prices. [sarcasm based on some of the comments that tend to show up on premium bike co threads]

Haha! To be honest, I was slightly worried when purchasing due to how easy it was to find long complaints on forums about negative warranty experiences and frame cracks. Having found out for myself and been thoroughly impressed I figured I'd share.

O+
Posted: Aug 3, 2022 at 6:25 Quote
**fingers crossed** No cracks here, 2K miles on V3 Wrecker. Not ridden lightly.
Also not a big guy. 150 lbs.

Posted: Aug 3, 2022 at 11:13 Quote
fullback40 wrote:
initforthedonuts wrote:
What!? Evil actually stood behind their premium product? Say it ain’t so! I thought it was all a giant conspiracy to sell crap bikes for exorbitant prices. [sarcasm based on some of the comments that tend to show up on premium bike co threads]

Haha! To be honest, I was slightly worried when purchasing due to how easy it was to find long complaints on forums about negative warranty experiences and frame cracks. Having found out for myself and been thoroughly impressed I figured I'd share.

There are rumors floating around the NW that Evil will have new owners in the near future if not already.

Posted: Aug 3, 2022 at 12:33 Quote
hugo-m123 wrote:
Hi guys, anyone else having issues with there evil wreckoning V3 frame cracking? I’m on my 3rd rear end and had 1 front end. The rear ends keep cracking under the bridge between the chain stays. I’ve had the bike 9 months but only 6 months of riding on it as I’ve been off with injury for 2 months and 1 month with the full frame away for warranty when I had to send it back to Spain for them to inspect. Saw a guy at ARDROCK and he had a similar sized crack in his rear triangle and he didn’t even know.

Hey hope you don't mind me asking, but since I have a wrecker V3, how much do weigh? And what size is your bike?

Posted: Aug 3, 2022 at 14:16 Quote
Damn, I started to worry about my frame seeing these cracks. I have another issue. I rode my wreck v3 maybe 100miles, and seat tube right underneath the main pivot, rear side, where the tire shoots most of the garbage against the frame is completely stripped out of paint. The interesting part is that even ridewrap didn't stop peeling off the paint. It's hard to see but under this large foil peel, paint is stuck to a ridewrap rather than to carbon. Tomorrow I'm going to my shop to start the replacement process, but honestly I'm disappointed af. I hope they will not have any problems with it .... Anyone had same/similar issue?

and another angle:

O+
Posted: Aug 3, 2022 at 15:10 Quote
PRek wrote:
Damn, I started to worry about my frame seeing these cracks. I have another issue. I rode my wreck v3 maybe 100miles, and seat tube right underneath the main pivot, rear side, where the tire shoots most of the garbage against the frame is completely stripped out of paint. The interesting part is that even ridewrap didn't stop peeling off the paint. It's hard to see but under this large foil peel, paint is stuck to a ridewrap rather than to carbon. Tomorrow I'm going to my shop to start the replacement process, but honestly I'm disappointed af. I hope they will not have any problems with it .... Anyone had same/similar issue?

and another angle:

i had that issue with an evil a few years ago. seems like there should be a plastic guard there.

Posted: Aug 3, 2022 at 23:53 Quote
Exactly, sort of a mudguard should do the trick. To be brutally honest, when I was wrapping it in foil this paint job already felt a bit odd. It was sort of inconsistent in texture, there were some scratches and other small issues. I didn't care about those that much (just document them) because 2 days after picking up my bike I went for a mtb vacation. The worst part is that the paint job was so bad it peeled off underneath the foil. That's something I haven't considered at all. Next time what should I do? Put like 5 layers of foil in this region? Sounds silly af. Especially when you take a closer look at the chainstay visible on these pictures: everything is fine there.

Has anyone fitted a rear mudguard on Wreck v3? Seems like there is not much space between rear triangle and tire. Maybe, if that's an issue, it would make sense to 3d print a mounting piece which would fit Wreck much better than a regular folded sheet of plastic on a zipties and then attach this mudguard to it?

Posted: Aug 4, 2022 at 5:22 Quote
@PRek
Back when I had my V1 wrecker, I got some massive paint/carbon chips under the BB and around that pinch point in your photos. I emailed Evil and they said there is so much material in that region, it is not a structural concern.
Now with my V3, it is similar and I just don't care. It is a bike that gets smashed through vertically mobile rocks and they are gonna hit things.
I had my V3 RideWrapped before it left the shop and there is a huge gap in coverage, at those 2 locations.

Cut up a roadie tire and get some construction adhesive. Be sure to overlap the chipped paint well so it has something to bond to.

Posted: Aug 4, 2022 at 5:25 Quote
PRek wrote:

and another angle:

I filled that hole with moto foam, works good!

O+
Posted: Aug 4, 2022 at 5:47 Quote
PRek wrote:
Exactly, sort of a mudguard should do the trick. To be brutally honest, when I was wrapping it in foil this paint job already felt a bit odd. It was sort of inconsistent in texture, there were some scratches and other small issues. I didn't care about those that much (just document them) because 2 days after picking up my bike I went for a mtb vacation. The worst part is that the paint job was so bad it peeled off underneath the foil. That's something I haven't considered at all. Next time what should I do? Put like 5 layers of foil in this region? Sounds silly af. Especially when you take a closer look at the chainstay visible on these pictures: everything is fine there.

Has anyone fitted a rear mudguard on Wreck v3? Seems like there is not much space between rear triangle and tire. Maybe, if that's an issue, it would make sense to 3d print a mounting piece which would fit Wreck much better than a regular folded sheet of plastic on a zipties and then attach this mudguard to it?
Same issue here on the V3. Not really an "issue" other than it being cosmetic. I "fixed" it by reapplying an extra piece of frame protection from the bottom all the way up. PIA since you need to remove the rear triangle to access that area. If it were wrapped that way from the get-go the chips wouldn't happen. Wish I would have known, but it's not that big a deal (to me).
I did ride with a rear mud-guard I made from a front one. Cut it up to fit. Didn't stop the chips. A thicker piece of rubberized material would have been a good idea from the factory. I highly doubt they'll warranty that since it's wear-and-tear territory. It is a MTB after all, and some parts are more vulnerable to that kind of cosmetic damage.

Posted: Aug 4, 2022 at 7:08 Quote
hilldescentcontrol wrote:

I filled that hole with moto foam, works good!

That's actually quite smart. Before that I'll try to fit some spare tubes there. Maybe stretch it to form a membrane or something.

After a closer look I'm sure it was a sharp rock from where I rode last week (Livigno, Italy). You can see some deep cuts where it bit into carbon. I'll clean it, paint it, cover it with a THIKK foil/rubber tape, make some getto-style mudguards and try to forget about it. I am also sure what Evil will say - it’s MTB, rocks might happen when you least expect them.

O+
Posted: Aug 4, 2022 at 14:33 Quote
Coil shock on a offering V2, looking at a ohlins ttxm2.
I'm 190# confusing spring weight responses from all over, from 400 to 600 and everything in between.
Whatchu runnin. lookin for 30% thinking 525/550?

Posted: Aug 4, 2022 at 17:41 Quote
y9pema wrote:
Coil shock on a offering V2, looking at a ohlins ttxm2.
I'm 190# confusing spring weight responses from all over, from 400 to 600 and everything in between.
Whatchu runnin. lookin for 30% thinking 525/550?

210 lbs rider
550 spring
Hard bottomouts on bad landings. Push11/6. HBO is a joke.

Posted: Aug 4, 2022 at 22:14 Quote
Hey guys, new to pinkbike here.

I just picked up a 2021 evil offering v2 GX build in a size small. I want to keep the bike in the low setting but have been considering one of those 1 degree headset angle things. I'm not terribly familiar with what my options are or models except for what was on evil's website, which I believe was the 1 or 1.5 degree works components headset.

How will the new angle headset affect the bike? I do plan on riding the bike how it was built for a while to see what I like and don't like about it first, but having a 65.4 degree head tube angle sounds pretty nice over 66.4 while not lowering the BB.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Posted: Aug 6, 2022 at 12:58 Quote
Anyone have a MEDIUM WLB frame they’d trade for a LARGE WLB frame? Preferably rusty trombone.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011194
Mobile Version of Website