Evil Owners Club

PB Forum :: Evil
Evil Owners Club
Posted: Sep 9, 2022 at 12:55 Quote
Quick update regarding a boo-boo made by a rock stuck in a rear linkage. Evil said that, rock can happen, but stripping of paint away from scratches shouldn't happen at all. Therefore that's a legit warranty claim and a new front triangle is already waiting for me in my bike shop. Pretty neat and well executed by Evil. As a customer I have nothing to complain about. Smile

Rear triangle is also damaged a bit (few minor dips and deep scratches), but not even close to a damage from a picture below. Probably I'll just clean these scratches and paint them, to protect a composite and then: try to forget.

BTW. I tried to make a usable deflector to protect this rear linkage cavity from any rocks in a future. I tried already quite a few solutions using tubes and cut them in a fancy way. Some of those were glued (bad idea - lasted 3 days of riding) and now, Mark 5, is running on a zip-ties plus one side is jammed between chain guide and frame from a drive side. It's working and it's pretty durable, but it's a pain in the ass to replace. I have an idea to take it to a next level and 3d print a fender similar to a what santa cruz (and some other brands) is using. Does anyone know about someone who's done that already?

Posted: Sep 9, 2022 at 14:29 Quote
PRek wrote:
Muchogusto wrote:
How many volume reducers?

For now: zero. I honestly didn't see a need for one. But you got a point here. I'll add one and reduce a pressure by 2-3 psi.

jzdyrko wrote:
What sag are you running? RS recommends 90psi at your body weight. At 75psi maybe your running too deep into ur travel

With my setup I think I'm at 30-35% which is plush enough for chattery trails in Italy and Austria. With 80PSI I was using maybe 150-160mm of travel. Now I'm close to bottom out but I haven't done that yet. Recommended 90PSI was giving me 20ish % sag and absolutely horrible ride. I'd describe my riding style as quite aggressive, but without huge jumps.

hilldescentcontrol wrote:

Another world compared to the previous Zeb, holds you up better, the butter cups work wonders in the chattery bits, seems a bit odd that you don’t notice any difference with different compression settings.

As I said: I didn't compare new vs old Zeb back to back, ride, after ride, in a single day. Can't really tell whether this is just yet another bike industry marketing BS or not. As an engineer I do understand how it works and why it should work, but let's not forget that butter cups are working it's magic in a small window of load frequencies. Maybe I'm off the chart and my speed, weight, trails chatters etc. are not in line with design stiffness of the buttercups. Who knows. Maybe in few months, there will show up in a market different stiffnesses of buttercups to fine tune a damper.

Have you tried the same trails back to back and made changes?
I did exactly that. I tried to put a placebo effect as far from my mind as possible and I was struggling to find any difference. And it's not like I don't feel any difference in a suspension setup at all. For example one click on a RS super deluxe coil select+ of LSC or rebound makes huge difference. I only wish the access to rebound knob was better in a wreck v3 but I can't have everything, can I?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. From all forks I rode prior to purchase, Zeb was best match for me. Full stop. BTW, I was testing 2022 zeb ultimate. New one is supposed to be better at everything.

30-35% sag, no tokens and you don’t bottom out? That doesn’t seem right to me. You sure everything works as it should with that fork? I really think you would benefit from less sag as it isn’t designed to be ridden deep in its travel all the time. I’m at about 20% sag, 1 token and find the bottom a couple of times per ride at 65kg body weight

Posted: Sep 9, 2022 at 14:55 Quote
I’d prob do a lower service and then pump up the fork in 10 psi increments, cycling fork 10x each iteration.

Posted: Sep 9, 2022 at 22:16 Quote
Just finished building my Insurgent MX...

Posted: Sep 10, 2022 at 1:13 Quote
Muchogusto wrote:
I’d prob do a lower service and then pump up the fork in 10 psi increments, cycling fork 10x each iteration.

Absolutely, For now I have ~100hrs on this fork so it's a high time to do it. I'll do it when they'll be replacing my front triangle.

30-35% sag, no tokens and you don’t bottom out? That doesn’t seem right to me. You sure everything works as it should with that fork? I really think you would benefit from less sag as it isn’t designed to be ridden deep in its travel all the time. I’m at about 20% sag, 1 token and find the bottom a couple of times per ride at 65kg body weight

hmmm, maybe you're taking much bigger hits than me? Still, it's weird... I'm heading to park now and I'll be experimenting with settings.

O+
Posted: Sep 10, 2022 at 6:15 Quote
Anyone have any experience riding the Wreck V3 and a WAO Arrival? I'm considering swapping and was curious if anyone had any experience with both.

Posted: Sep 12, 2022 at 7:19 Quote
Muchogusto wrote:

I did that when I was tuning it for shockwiz. But since you mentioned that I do remember having A LOT of trouble in releasing pressure from a negative chamber. I had to put axle back into a fork, lock it with a foot and use all my core strength to extend the fork. It wasn't alarming to me especially because some forks might do behave like that. I'll check that once I'll do a basic service.

Yesterday I took some natural double black trails in Dolomiti Paganella, fully opened LSC/HSC and reduced pressure to 72psi. I used 175 of 180mm of travel ergo: not bottomed out even once. I do also remember claims from RS that with a new Zeb you'll never have to use volume spacer anymore. Maybe it's working as intended? With few psi less it's definitely much more plush than it was before. I did also check how it's going behave with LSC/HSC fully closed and I was using ~170 out of 180mm of travel. Honestly: indistinguishable from one another in riding feel.

Next thing is that Charger 3.0 is a closed system. I shouldn't be impacted by excessive over greasing (if that's the case ofc) at all. Is that right?

Posted: Sep 12, 2022 at 12:43 Quote
PRek wrote:
Muchogusto wrote:

I did that when I was tuning it for shockwiz. But since you mentioned that I do remember having A LOT of trouble in releasing pressure from a negative chamber. I had to put axle back into a fork, lock it with a foot and use all my core strength to extend the fork. It wasn't alarming to me especially because some forks might do behave like that. I'll check that once I'll do a basic service.

Yesterday I took some natural double black trails in Dolomiti Paganella, fully opened LSC/HSC and reduced pressure to 72psi. I used 175 of 180mm of travel ergo: not bottomed out even once. I do also remember claims from RS that with a new Zeb you'll never have to use volume spacer anymore. Maybe it's working as intended? With few psi less it's definitely much more plush than it was before. I did also check how it's going behave with LSC/HSC fully closed and I was using ~170 out of 180mm of travel. Honestly: indistinguishable from one another in riding feel.

Next thing is that Charger 3.0 is a closed system. I shouldn't be impacted by excessive over greasing (if that's the case ofc) at all. Is that right?

I think you´re right about the over greasing part. I´m a bit curious about your level as a rider as well as rider style. We dont recomend dropping the fork pressure in order to maximise the travel being used as it compromises the bikes charecteristics, steepening the headtube angle, lowering the bb height, less effective on the pedals etc. Also the initial "small bump sensitivity" will be heavily compromised.

I believe that compression settings might play a smaller roll/ is much harder to notice when already deep in it´s travel. Maybe try pump it up to the recomended settings, play around with the compression settings, and run it like that for while becouse it will take time to get used to, coming from a much softer spring rate.

Posted: Sep 12, 2022 at 13:39 Quote
I think you´re right about the over greasing part. I´m a bit curious about your level as a rider as well as rider style. We dont recomend dropping the fork pressure in order to maximise the travel being used as it compromises the bikes charecteristics, steepening the headtube angle, lowering the bb height, less effective on the pedals etc. Also the initial "small bump sensitivity" will be heavily compromised.

I believe that compression settings might play a smaller roll/ is much harder to notice when already deep in it´s travel. Maybe try pump it up to the recomended settings, play around with the compression settings, and run it like that for while becouse it will take time to get used to, coming from a much softer spring rate.

Yeah, I think that's a next logic step. I'll do tomorrow a small service and then return back to 90psi + nominal positions of LSC/HSC. I'm pretty sure I did that on first few runs and wasn't happy with a harshness. Btw. These compressions are a bit hard to feel. On less complicated dampers like fit4 / grip1 each click on LSC makes noticeable difference. With Charger 3.0 it is a kind of guessing game. Honestly I can't even check this just trying to pump a fork with hands on a low pressure. I just can't generate that many m/s so that damper will start to dissipate energy in such a way that I can tell a difference. I know it's dumb, but that's the first and easiest check I can make. If that makes sense....

Also the initial "small bump sensitivity" will be heavily compromised.

Can you explain that? Do you mean, that with low pressure and higher sag, fork will sunk too much to eat these small bumps? And for the sake of argument: small bump is how much in travel counting from a 0%. I'm sure you have some rule of thumb Smile Can you share that?

Posted: Sep 12, 2022 at 14:02 Quote
Its common to find "more pressure" actually makes the fork take those small bumps better. - it sits it higher in the travel where that "soft" part of the stroke is.

When running more sag you sit the fork lower and it can pack down and feel much worse, basically everywhere.

Posted: Sep 12, 2022 at 14:39 Quote
PRek wrote:

Yeah, I think that's a next logic step. I'll do tomorrow a small service and then return back to 90psi + nominal positions of LSC/HSC. I'm pretty sure I did that on first few runs and wasn't happy with a harshness. Btw. These compressions are a bit hard to feel. On less complicated dampers like fit4 / grip1 each click on LSC makes noticeable difference. With Charger 3.0 it is a kind of guessing game. Honestly I can't even check this just trying to pump a fork with hands on a low pressure. I just can't generate that many m/s so that damper will start to dissipate energy in such a way that I can tell a difference. I know it's dumb, but that's the first and easiest check I can make. If that makes sense....

Yeah it makes sense, but as I said put some time in to riding the stiffer fork, it won’t feel the best in the beginning because you have to adapt your riding style and get used to the feel Smile

Also the initial "small bump sensitivity" will be heavily compromised.

Can you explain that? Do you mean, that with low pressure and higher sag, fork will sunk too much to eat these small bumps? And for the sake of argument: small bump is how much in travel counting from a 0%. I'm sure you have some rule of thumb Smile Can you share that?

Heatedrotor described it good, the way dampers are tuned, and friction. Especially true with those buttercups. Difficult to put a percentage number on that as it will vary between makes and models, as well as it will change gradually with travel, but perhaps somewhere in the 0 to 30 percent range.

How much sag do you run in the rear?Smile

O+
Posted: Sep 13, 2022 at 5:21 Quote
Also, some forks and shocks just seem a bit harsh for their first 100 miles or so. Just need a little time to break in.

Posted: Sep 13, 2022 at 9:20 Quote
2018 Wrecker LB in Large.

Listed for 4000. Will listen to all offers. I need it gone.

Posted: Sep 13, 2022 at 9:56 Quote
Selling in the forums is a no no. Keep it in the buy/sell section.

Posted: Sep 13, 2022 at 16:48 Quote
This is how I customized the Wreckoning. All of it is my work: ideas, the concept, the assembling, the design of Alien decals and "Trail Wrecker". I called the project "Red Alien". The reason I built it is because I like mechanics and I'm an artist. Combining colors and conceptualizing ideas is something I excel in. Enjoy the view guys.

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.021576
Mobile Version of Website