advice for all mountain fork please

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
advice for all mountain fork please
Previous Page | Next Page
O+
Posted: Jan 7, 2008 at 20:55 Quote
I have a hardtail that I enjoy riding down moderate Shore style trails. I justify the downhill portion with a good solid slog up-trail to gain elevation even if there might be road access somewhere. What I would like to buy is a 32mm (for the stiffness)fork with travel in the 100 to 130mm max range. I'd like to be able to hit a switch and have it drop to a ride height equivalent to 85-100mm range as I am constantly experiencing front wheel lift when climbing with the 100mm Marz on the bike.

I have read through the various promotional literature but still do not have a clear idea of exactly which forks might best achieve what I want. I don't need a lot of fancy stuff, mine is a coil only with pre-load that's it and it works fine. Wondering if anyone has any tips.

Thanks.

Posted: Jan 7, 2008 at 21:05 Quote
im leaning toward a RS Pike at this point, what bike is it for?

O+
Posted: Jan 7, 2008 at 21:42 Quote
The bike is a Specialized Hardrock Pro with a MZ III and BB7s. Very stock except for an oversized front rotor. Now before anyone suggests upgrading the whole bicycle (and I'm not assuming your motives) my philosophy is to start with a basic product and master that. Too many people purchase their skills with do anything gear that masks faults. (Don't get me started on small displacement rally cars...) I rode an early model Kona Fire Mountain (for 14 years) with no suspension down several of the trails on Cypress (Sex Boy/Fire Hose)but kept buckling the front wheel and going over the bars. Rim brakes sucked hard in the wet Vancouver weather. Now there's better stuff on the market. The Hardrock has passed loads of kids (I'm 39) riding Stinky's and Coilers on downhill trails and can sprint uphill as well as anyone on my regular routes. I'd just feel better with a bit more confidence in what holds me behind the front wheel when I bump a stump but I don't want to sacrifice the climbing abilities.

Posted: Jan 7, 2008 at 21:44 Quote
maxetak wrote:
The bike is a Specialized Hardrock Pro with a MZ III and BB7s. Very stock except for an oversized front rotor. Now before anyone suggests upgrading the whole bicycle (and I'm not assuming your motives) my philosophy is to start with a basic product and master that. Too many people purchase their skills with do anything gear that masks faults. (Don't get me started on small displacement rally cars...) I rode an early model Kona Fire Mountain (for 14 years) with no suspension down several of the trails on Cypress (Sex Boy/Fire Hose)but kept buckling the front wheel and going over the bars. Rim brakes sucked hard in the wet Vancouver weather. Now there's better stuff on the market. The Hardrock has passed loads of kids (I'm 39) riding Stinky's and Coilers on downhill trails and can sprint uphill as well as anyone on my regular routes. I'd just feel better with a bit more confidence in what holds me behind the front wheel when I bump a stump but I don't want to sacrifice the climbing abilities.

HAHA, no need to rant, just judging the headtube of the frame :-) Not trying to tell you you shouldn't be doing this and your moneys better off elsewhere!

Id feel 100% comfortable recommending a PIKE for your application. Great feeling fork, travel adjustment, functional damping adjustment, strong, and reasonably light!

Posted: Jan 7, 2008 at 21:45 Quote
Hummeroid wrote:
im leaning toward a RS Pike at this point, what bike is it for?

I'm digging the Pike that I just got. I got the 426-the cheapest model- because it weighs 5.4 lbs but had adjustable travel from 95-140 via the U-Turn system, it also has compression adjustments (lockout for climbing) and rebound.

Posted: Jan 7, 2008 at 21:45 Quote
the pikes with travel adjustment would be perfect, but you then would have to build up a new front wheel with a 20mm hub.

For a QR fork i would go for one of the fox 32 series, maybe the float.

O+
Posted: Jan 7, 2008 at 22:04 Quote
Sorry about the rant. My friends have Hecklers etc and I get a lot of rubbish about hardtail this and softtail that. The proof should be in the pedaling.

Thank you for the continued advice.

Posted: Jan 24, 2008 at 4:20 Quote
Fox forx every time

Posted: Jan 24, 2008 at 12:56 Quote
if you dont want to spend a lot of money and get a solid strong fork you can ride and forget i got a marzochi all mountain fork with travel adjust and it works great. not as plush as a fox but you can slam it down to 1 inch travel and climb up hills great and twist it again and have 5 inchs to bomb down the hill. it was not expensive and i feel like i can beat it up with out worry. i ride dh and freeride stuff alot and it feels solid and strong. good luck.

Posted: Jan 24, 2008 at 14:28 Quote
Marzocchi All Mountain 1 or 2. They have ETA, which allows you to drop the travel down with one push. Brand new ones from 07 or 06 are super cheap on ebay. I have an 05 All Mountain 1 and an 07 RS Pike. Both are great forks, but you just can't beat the convenience of the ETA on the Marzocchi.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006499
Mobile Version of Website