Do you want to make Pinkbike and Trailforks better? Pinkbike is looking for full time Software Developers - Check Available Jobs

Specialized Enduro 29 or 26?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Specialized Enduro 29 or 26?
Previous Page |
Posted: Dec 4, 2013 at 16:17 Quote
Hey all I'm relatively new to this site and have been finding great stuff here. I'd love everyone's opinion on this.

For years I rode a 26 inch hardtail but one day I wrecked my fork and decided it was time for a new bike. I got a 2014 Trek Superfly with 100ml of travel and 29 inch wheels. I absolutely love it, for me on that bike the 29er absolutely does work and my times on the local trails show a massive improvement. Even though I am always amazed how maneuverable the bike really is at all speeds I do feel like it's not quite as agile on tight switch backs. I tried a top of the line Remedy on our trails on 650b and even with all the extra travel I felt the my 29er got over stuff easier. Going down stuff was a different story, that bike was awesome and it also did better in the loosest terrain.

I ride a lot of trails that don't get ridden that often and they can be in pretty rough shape. I like to explore and I want a bike that will handle any thing I come across and keep me comfortable on those trails when I want to go long. This will be my first full suspension bike and I figure if I go full suspension I want to go all in. I'll be keeping the Superfly for going fast. I'd like to try Enduro racing if that makes a difference but just for fun, I know I'll get smoked.

I would like to get a Specialized Enduro Comp (if I buy new) but I can't decide between 26 or 29. I'm not worried about this bike being fast but I do want it to be fun. I noticed that the 650b Remedy was more willing to jump than my 29er but they are two differen't bikes. I like the agile turning of the 26 but will I be giving up rollover and efficiency for my long rides (overnight type journeys) ? Is the 29 Enduro able to deliver a similar fun factor while giving me all the big wheel benefits?
I know that some of you will be biased to one side or the other but I just want the best bike.

Posted: Dec 5, 2013 at 16:01 Quote
I'm interested in what all of you have to say.

Posted: Dec 7, 2013 at 0:09 Quote
i have a 29r 2014 endur comp that i enjoy although i havent been riding it much because of my injured shoulder. the DH trail i went on todat isn't very technical but a lot of loose rocks & dirt and i felt the bike handle it well. also the trail i went on is a trail you can't ride up completely however there are very small portions of the trail you can ride up & i felt my enduro handle those climbs better than the 29r 2013 camber comp i had(as it should have) but my point is that it does in fact climb better because it is designed for that & it also downhilled better than the camber(as it should have).
(i compared it to the camber because it's the only other bike i've owned recently)

i've never ridden a 26r. my LBS threw me on a 29r so i don't have any comparison of the two. i wish i would have tried a 26r because everyone seems to like those more but at the same time im glad i didnt because i would have made a similar thread like this asking for which one to get. i feel like you should rent both bikes if you can & do a side by side session with them.

i'm very new to the sport. less than 6 months to be exact so i dont have any experience compared to 99.9% of the forum.

also

idk i feel like he's not excited about his 29r but that's the impression i get

Posted: Dec 10, 2013 at 8:52 Quote
I've been around bikes for a little bit, but I'm no expert. I understand the fun factor that almost everyone refers to when talking about 26 inch wheels. It's the same flickability I feel when going from mtn bike to bmx. It seems smaller will always be more "playful". That being said, I was recently in the market for a stable killing ride that could handle all trails in my way(currently bootleg canyon) and be entertaining in doing so. My lbs put me on the enduro comp, and closing my eyes, it felt very nearly like I wasn't on a 29er. I've been on the big bikes before and had been put off on the handling or the feel of them. With the new enduro, and the short seat stays, I feel that it's almost as playful as a smaller bike. I notice the size of the bike when it comes to tight slow 180 switch backs, but that's a given. Otherwise, hauling down the trails, I'm bunny hopping over boulders, and boosting off of rocks and lips to my hearts content and not noticing the really big wheels I'm running. I do however relish the opportunity big wheels afford me to monster truck over baby head rocks if I don't feel like going around them and the over all boost of speed you get when the road is laid smooth in front of you. I think if you're willing to sacrifice a little bit of playfulness to keep the big wheel benefits, you would do a pretty good job dealing with the new enduro. I certainly don't mind

Posted: Dec 10, 2013 at 11:26 Quote
It's definitely good to hear that they did a good job on the Enduro 29er. I love the big wheel benefits of my Trek and even though my Superfly 29er feels playful and sharp, I know that not all big wheel set ups are so fortunate. Thanks guys I think I'm definitely leaning towards the 29er now.

Posted: Dec 10, 2013 at 11:43 Quote
Enduro 650b is the way Salute

Posted: Dec 10, 2013 at 12:10 Quote
According to the Specialized website they don't make a 650b, unless you are saying I should get a 26inch Enduro and put 650b on it? I tried a 650b Remedy and personally if I am going to have smaller wheels I would rather have 26inch wheels and get the full benefit of the smaller package. 650b feels to me like it's trying to please everyone and ending up not really pleasing anyone at all. The Remedy still felt like a big wheeled bike but it didn't have the roll over capability or the momentum that I've experienced with 29. If I give up 29 I feel like I better be getting the best of 26 in return.

Posted: Dec 10, 2013 at 14:16 Quote
i read an article saying that the new is-x frame with 650b had improvements were not that noticeable compared to a 26r & that going 29r instead of 650b was because they were able to make the 29r enduro maneuver similar to a 26r yet it has 29r wheels so the added climbing/roller benefits made it worth it.

if i find the article ill post it.

Posted: Dec 10, 2013 at 14:28 Quote
found it. maybe i didnt quote the article from memory spot on, actually added some stuff to it lol Wink but you get the picture

http://www.bikeradar.com/us/mtb/news/article/specialized-enduro-29-launched-36583/

'While Specialized proved it could create an all-mountain 29er with a reasonable wheelbase, it begs the question: wouldn't it have been easier to build a 650b Enduro?

Go big or go home

The answer, of course, is yes. It would have been relatively easy for Specialized to squeeze 650b wheels into the Enduro. But, according to Specialized, the benefits of 650b are not as great as those of 29-inch wheels. “If you can make a great handling bike out of a 29er, why not do it?” said Specialized’s mountain bike product manager Brad Benedict."

Posted: Dec 29, 2013 at 20:19 Quote
Good point from Specialized. I bought a Giant Anthem 29er last year, short travel xc bike and I ride all the same stuff as my Giant trance 26er mid travel. Same thoughts, a little less playful, but I bunny hop it, jump it, and it has long chainstays. Very stable on rough, rocky downhills. No regrets on purchase. btw, i'm only 5'6"

Posted: Dec 29, 2013 at 22:52 Quote
I've only ridden the 29 and 26 stumpys and I'd go for a 26 only for the geometry.
For specialized the geo is everything
Is just got a 2014 trance 27.5 and feels amazing
But definetly 26 over 29
You can't substitute fun for ease

Posted: Dec 30, 2013 at 20:48 Quote
I'm kind of leaning toward the 26 now. It's a tough decision but I've got some time I guess. I feel like with that much travel and with the bike being built more for fun and technical that I'll like having the 26 more in that package. I guess I'll need to ride both, but I've already got a go fast 29er hard tail, the Enduro will be purely for fun. If I don't get an Enduro at all I'll probably be looking at a Trek Slash (not a fan of the new 650b though) or a Cannondale Jekyll (my wife has a pretty sweet 2004). I'll keep waiting to see if anyone has ridden both but for the intended use 26 sounds a little bit better. I completely believe those that have the 29 though.

Posted: Dec 31, 2013 at 2:02 Quote
I don't know if it helps but here we go. I had a 2013 stumpjumper evo 26 comp last year and it was a superb bike then due to the terrain where I live I decided to try a 29 thinking it will be Moore fun in between the downhill sections and Moore eficient, was a shity Rockhopper from a rental place. Sold the 26( got a good offer on it the kind you can't say no) afther 8 months of trashing it and ordered a 2014 stumpjumper expert evo 29 now afther 3 month riding it 4 times a week I can say my skepticism is gone. Is just feels Moore comfortable on fast descents and on steep stuff now I don't live in bc or the Alps but I took it to Tenerife on some steep terrain and just feels better Moore grippy if that makes any sense at all. I don't know if is the new pike, carbon frame or 29 wagon wheels but it just works and feels much Moore stable stiff and responsive than my 26 and puts the same smile on my face afther every ride. And Yea I was one of those that makes funn of clown wheels. Any way bouth will be funn to ride. Good luck.

Posted: Dec 31, 2013 at 9:58 Quote
"the Enduro will be purely for fun"

Get the 26". I haven't ridden the 29 version, but have ridden other 29'ers. My feeling is that 26'ers are not necessarily better or worse, but are more fun.

Posted: Feb 24, 2014 at 20:17 Quote
Specialized ^^^^^ if you are listening; please send us the Enduro 650!! Just give me a sign and I will start saving my money tomorrow, believe that!

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012371
Mobile Version of Website