How to trade a bike long distance?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
How to trade a bike long distance?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+ FL
Posted: Dec 14, 2013 at 11:29 Quote
is there a way to do it? I know its the sketchiest feeling in the world but i imagine people have pulled it off, ive traded shocks long distance but never a bike, any input?

Posted: Dec 15, 2013 at 16:38 Quote
It's like rolling the dice ,Try to feel out the buyer get his number call to chat about the deal you can get an idea if he's shady or not have him send you a photo of the bike with a date on paper in the photo.Ask if hes bought and sold stuff with other people check up with them.

O+ FL
Posted: Dec 15, 2013 at 16:40 Quote
slowrider998 wrote:
It's like rolling the dice ,Try to feel out the buyer get his number call to chat about the deal you can get an idea if he's shady or not have him send you a photo of the bike with a date on paper in the photo.Ask if hes bought and sold stuff with other people check up with them.
i did the ol date paper with my name thing a while ago, but thats because i was buying a bike that seemed too good to be true but i just happened to snatch up a bike with an amazing build for like $3100

Posted: Dec 15, 2013 at 17:04 Quote
is the trade guy in the usa?

O+ FL
Posted: Dec 15, 2013 at 17:12 Quote
slowrider998 wrote:
is the trade guy in the usa?
yessir, im in san fran, hes in seattle

Posted: Dec 22, 2013 at 18:05 Quote
San Fran to Seattle is what ? 10hr drive??? Why don't you just meet in the middle somewhere???? You can actually see the bike significantly smaller chance of getting shafted

Posted: Dec 23, 2013 at 9:35 Quote
There are escrow companies, which would probably handle something like this. You both send the bike to the escrow company, the escrow company would send the bikes on. Problem being this would be quite pricey. Paying shipping twice, plus the escrow fees.

The other thing you might consider is buying each other's bike through paypal goods. That way if one of the bikes is not shipped, or is vastly different then what is advertised, there is some recourse.

If you don't want to use paypal or an escrow company due to the extra costs, either you meet, or you have to place a fair bit of trust in each other. For a straight exchange of goods via the mail, there is very little recourse.

Posted: Dec 24, 2013 at 7:16 Quote
Yeah a nice road trip would be the best. But what I would do is actually go through paypal and buy the bike for a fictionnal price from the other guy and him selling his to me for the exact same price. This way you get the paypal protection in case things go wrong all this for a small fee, probably lower than gas to drive there.

O+ FL
Posted: Dec 24, 2013 at 10:02 Quote
MaxAlary wrote:
Yeah a nice road trip would be the best. But what I would do is actually go through paypal and buy the bike for a fictionnal price from the other guy and him selling his to me for the exact same price. This way you get the paypal protection in case things go wrong all this for a small fee, probably lower than gas to drive there.
oh yeah I did that when I traded a shock long distance, we paypal gifted each $70 back and forth

Posted: Dec 24, 2013 at 10:10 Quote
jonathanheierle wrote:
oh yeah I did that when I traded a shock long distance, we paypal gifted each $70 back and forth

If you used paypal gift, you were really not getting any protection. If he had not sent the shock, you could not have opened a dispute. In fact, you would actually have been a little worse off then just sending each other the shocks blindly, as you would have also been out the $2.10 paypal fee you got charged send the $70 gift through paypal.

Paypal goods. Always.

Posted: Dec 24, 2013 at 12:22 Quote
Cackerman wrote:

Paypal goods. Always.

Everybody should listen these wise words, never use paypal gift unless it really is. Never.

Posted: Dec 25, 2013 at 7:36 Quote
It always amazes me that people are willing to risk their money over such a small fee for "insurance"
Example above whether $70 or $75 comes off your visa are you seriously going to actually notice the difference?

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010851
Mobile Version of Website