MTB or BMX

• Previous Page
Posted: Jan 8, 2008 at 10:37 Quote
So im getting a new bike in spring, but i have to make a decision MTB or BMX.
If i would get an MTB then i would probably have the NS Metropolis, but if i would get a BMX then i would get some Eastern bike or Subrosa. I would street/park/dj with it.
BMX plusses
+ weight
+ cost
+ would get parts more easier
+ tricks come more easier
BMX minuses
- back starts hurting
- you just can't kinda cruise with it lol

MTB plusses
+ more comfortable
+ better for DJing

MTB minuses
- cost
- harder to get parts etc..

so what is your opinion? explain it plz
(ps im not an native English speaker)

Posted: Jan 8, 2008 at 10:45 Quote
i would get a MTB but thats my opinion. i have riddin a bmx but it was like you said it hurts your back a while of ridding it

Posted: Jan 8, 2008 at 10:49 Quote
I would get a mtb if ur doing more djing, street and cruising around. But if you will mainly ride park i say go for the bmx. I think that you can do more variaties of biking when u have a mtb

Posted: Jan 8, 2008 at 10:50 Quote
blind123456 wrote:
I would get a mtb if ur doing more djing, street and cruising around. But if you will mainly ride park i say go for the bmx. I think that you can do more variaties of biking when u have a mtb

yer i would agree with that 2

Posted: Jan 8, 2008 at 10:51 Quote
blind123456 wrote:
yea usually i ride street/dj's, but some weekends i go to park and so on.

Posted: Jan 8, 2008 at 10:56 Quote
mtb all the way man!

bmx are to small! plus if ya learn summin on a mtb then ya could take the trick into the woods!

Posted: Jan 8, 2008 at 10:58 Quote
Bmx is the obvious choice, its better in every respect for the type of riding you do. If you have the choice i cant see why you would want a mtb, its just makes all of those styles of riding more difficult plus they cost more and break easier.

MTB on street and park is just woeful, absolutely no point in it, especially if you can get a bmx instead.

BMX is better for dirt jumping, end of. If you are riding badly made jumps then mtb might be better but if your jumps are well made bmx is far better, you get more pump off the take off.

If you get a bmx which is the correct size for you it shouldnt hurt your back, and whats more, any back pains will probably go after riding it for a while.

BMX ftw

Posted: Jan 8, 2008 at 11:01 Quote
davidtaylforth wrote:

If you get a bmx which is the correct size for you it shouldnt hurt your back, and whats more, any back pains will probably go after riding it for a while.

BMX ftw

once ya spine deforms!!!!!!

to be fiar it is all personal choice but imagin a BMXer and a MTBer fullin the same trick

it looks fare better on MTB

Posted: Jan 8, 2008 at 11:06 Quote
timmi wrote:
davidtaylforth wrote:

BMX ftw

once ya spine deforms!!!!!!

to be fiar it is all personal choice but imagin a BMXer and a MTBer fullin the same trick

it looks fare better on MTB

Yeh, except mtbers can only pull about 1/3 of the tricks bmxers can.

Check out the top mtb street, park and dirt jump riders compared to the top bmx riders. Now if mtb was so good surely they would be able to do the same tricks? But they cant because mtb's are soo big and clumsy for those styles of riding - hence get a bmx.

Plus if you ever come to ride a mtb you will be one step ahead of the game with your smooth stylish riding you carry over from bmx (aka brian lopes, cedric gracia etc).

Posted: Jan 8, 2008 at 11:10 Quote
[Quote="davidtaylforth"][Quote="timmi"]
davidtaylforth wrote:

(aka brian lopes, cedric gracia etc).

that is true but the same flow can be againd from a fully ridged MTB

only tricks i know of that MTB can do is all the peggrinds!

wat trick u have in mind!

i still say it personal preference

Posted: Jan 8, 2008 at 12:30 Quote
[Quote="timmi"][Quote="davidtaylforth"]
timmi wrote:

that is true but the same flow can be againd from a fully ridged MTB

only tricks i know of that MTB can do is all the peggrinds!

wat trick u have in mind!

i still say it personal preference

yer i agree

Posted: Jan 8, 2008 at 12:42 Quote
davidtaylforth wrote:
Bmx is the obvious choice, its better in every respect for the type of riding you do. If you have the choice i cant see why you would want a mtb, its just makes all of those styles of riding more difficult plus they cost more and break easier.

MTB on street and park is just woeful, absolutely no point in it, especially if you can get a bmx instead.

BMX is better for dirt jumping, end of. If you are riding badly made jumps then mtb might be better but if your jumps are well made bmx is far better, you get more pump off the take off.

BMX ftw
I disagree, i wouldnt do stret with a BMX, no good for stairs and drops etc.

You may be able to do more tricks on BMX but mountain bikes are far more versitile, they are open to a change in the disciplines of your riding, say you fancied going to the woods for a muck about one day.

As for MTB's being woeful at skate parks, a lot of my friends ride MTB and go to our skatepark every sat and sunday, some of them can pull tricks like 3's and supermen and NFCC's, they are definitley not eld back by their bikes.
BMX's are good for what they are made for but awful for anything else, MTB's are descent at most, i would go for MTB.

Posted: Jan 8, 2008 at 12:47 Quote
get a MTB

It's super expensive, but if you buy used, and upgrade with barley used parts, it's a hell of a lot cheaper (WHAT IM DOING!)

would def. go with MTB, beats a BMX any day IMO.

you can do bigger stuff (unless you are made of steel and your bones can handle drops and stairs.) and it's more comfortable.

beats MTB

just my opinion though

Posted: Jan 8, 2008 at 12:52 Quote
well its up to u i bmx but its wat u like

Posted: Jan 8, 2008 at 12:57 Quote
ghburdon wrote:
davidtaylforth wrote:

BMX ftw
I disagree, i wouldnt do stret with a BMX, no good for stairs and drops etc.

You may be able to do more tricks on BMX but mountain bikes are far more versitile, they are open to a change in the disciplines of your riding, say you fancied going to the woods for a muck about one day.

As for MTB's being woeful at skate parks, a lot of my friends ride MTB and go to our skatepark every sat and sunday, some of them can pull tricks like 3's and supermen and NFCC's, they are definitley not eld back by their bikes.
BMX's are good for what they are made for but awful for anything else, MTB's are descent at most, i would go for MTB.

Great, your friends can do those tricks, but they are all tricks that you can do simply do over a jump box regardless of whether you on an mtb or bmx

The great thing about bmx in a park is that you can ride lines that wouldn't really be possible on an mtb, check out some of the backyard jam vids on youtube, I would like to see someone ride the lines there on an mtb.

Yeh mtb are more versatile, expect it doesnt matter cos he's riding street, dirt and park which bmx is better at in all respect.

Posting this topic on this forum probably wasnt a great idea anyway since most of the people here ride mtb and probably havent been able to ride a bmx properly anyway.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.087385
Mobile Version of Website