MTB or BMX

Posted: May 31, 2008 at 16:37 Quote
bmxerdude1 wrote:
if u can't decide y not go in the middle...24"...
thats good idea to 24's with single speed

Posted: May 31, 2008 at 17:34 Quote
I've been riding MTB in Street/Park/DJ for 3 years, with a Norco 250. I bought my first BMX, an Eastern Element, two weeks ago, and I think it worth the $530.

Yeah, tricks come more easier and there is many new tricks that you can't do with MTB, as peg stall, footjam tailwhip, [...]

Also, it's a lot lighter and smaller; smaller --> easier to do tricks with it.

Anyway, it's your call, but I think BMX is great.

Posted: May 31, 2008 at 19:57 Quote
depends you like forks or not

Posted: May 31, 2008 at 20:00 Quote
jesse49 wrote:
depends you like forks or not

I've never seen a BMX without a fork. It's called suspension.

Posted: Jan 25, 2012 at 22:54 Quote
grampa wrote:
I ride both a BMX (Macneil) and MTB hardtail (Giant STP). The MTB works for all those situations, but a BMX is meant for all those situations. If I'm feeling lazy and don't want to try anything technical, I take the MTB. If I want to do anything technical I take the BMX. I like the BMX for its stiffness, simplicity and potential for technical stuff - if I have been riding the MTB for a bit the BMX feels like it will kick my ass because it has such fast handling - that tells me you become a better rider on the BMX than the MTB. Add to that the difference in cost and ongoing maintenance and I give BMX the thumbs up.

So, since it's harder to ride, that makes it better? I look at bmx like a training tool... like running with a mini parachute on or swinging a bat with a weight on it. It has improved my mountain bike game. Important, since that is the more enjoyable and useful bike choice.

Posted: Jan 26, 2012 at 6:44 Quote
I have both, Trek Ticket, and Kink Whip. I still suck, but I'm learning. I bought the Ticket for dirt, and the Whip for street. I'm finding the BMX is easier to learn street on, it's lighter and handles faster, and I can hop it higher, and manual it easier. I like riding dirt jumps better on the Ticket.

Posted: Jan 26, 2012 at 8:00 Quote
Buy both. 7 days in a week. Plenty of time to get a lot of rides on each!

Posted: Jan 27, 2012 at 0:12 Quote
LeroyRochester wrote:
Buy both. 7 days in a week. Plenty of time to get a lot of rides on each!

i ride a bmx (fly luna) and a mtb (abd derelkit) and i like my bmx for at the skatpark,its more flickable and has helped my dh and freeride more than anything"go big or go home"hehe Razz
but the mtb i can ride smoother on dj's etc butt i can jump on any mtb and do all my tricks but on a bmx i can only ride my bike normally ): but really , IT'S PERSONAL PREFFERANCE!!

Posted: Jan 27, 2012 at 11:05 Quote
GO ROADIE!! ...jokes.
BMX is much better for street and park so if you do more of that stuff...get a 20 inch.
MTB can also do that stuff but only get it if you plan to do more djing.

The only downside of BMX is that I find it hurts the knees after a while.

Posted: Apr 12, 2012 at 12:37 Quote
Get an MTB. Whether its easier on a bmx or whatever, if you can do those tricks on a big boy its much more respected. The type of terrain you ride on is irrelevant when your on a mtb but bmx are limited. And for those kids saying mtb in a skatepark is pointless, lets play a game of bike....

Posted: Apr 12, 2012 at 14:54 Quote
right so this is really stupid question to ask, well not stupid

pro of bmx:
easier
small
cheap

cons of bmx:
can be hard for tall riders on their bodys
wrist problem may affect abilty of riding rigid

pros of mtb
deppending on wheels size they can just as short as a dirt frame for a bmx
run sus
comfortable
can be riden like a bmx if set up right
ride more then jump park and street, some are used for a casual xc course
also once you pull a trick on a mtb you feel that you accomplished more.

cons
expensive
can be a rather long frame
always evolving which can be a pro to

so theres your pros and cons if that helps.

Posted: Sep 17, 2015 at 12:23 Quote
heres the truth. subrosa its a shitty bike and so is eastern. and mountian bikers are not as talented. so the steer clear of big jumps and gaps. i mountian bike myself to just have a lil fun taking it easy, but if you really wanna improve your riding get a specialized p.26 or p.3 its a super fun bike that you can ride the trials with and parks and street. good luck due.

Posted: Sep 18, 2015 at 7:53 Quote
Funny this old thread popped up as I am currently experiencing a similar dilemma.

I have been riding my 26 inch Eastern Night Train for about 3 years now (after not riding for several years before that) and I do love it, however 99% of the time I ride concrete skate parks with my BMX mates. I am at a point where I need to spend some money to upgrade/fix parts on my Night Train. After riding so much with the BMX guys I am tempted to spend that money on a 20" instead.

I find the 26" doesn't hold me back from doing quarter pipe airs, wall rides, lines/transfers at the park, manuals, and some tricks like 180's, roll backs, tables, toboggans, etc. But on the other hand it is much more work to do techie stuff like quick spins, tailwhips, manual 180's etc. All of which I witness my BMX friends do and learn with ease. Also, can't do turndowns which is a bummer because I use to be able to (years ago during my BMX days)

I am at a point where I am decently good for the average enthusiast, but for me it will never be a career or money making endeavor so I am not to worried about throwing the craziest tricks. On the other hand, I do enjoy doing tricks and it would be nice to be able to do them with less effort and learn fun/new stuff more frequently.

The things I like about the 26" are; It separates my older ass from all the yougin's at the park, it feels like a boss when doing big transfers or nice manuals around the park, and it probably looks better to an outside observer.

Things I don't like; It's so much heavier, it's hard to maneuver quick spins and takes a lot of effort, parts are expensive.. and I'm that old weirdo on a mountain bike at every skatepark I go to (Lol, not really a concern).

BUT I have been riding some of my friends 20" bikes at the parks lately and while they are so easy to hop and spin on I have to say they feel almost too "flickable", like if I lean back just a little bit the bike feels like I am gonna loop out, and all the brakes suck so much compared to my XT's haha (gotta love those hydraulic disc brakes).

TL/DR; decisions decisions, sorry for the novel.

Posted: Sep 26, 2015 at 15:55 Quote
bmx are bullshit for me its look Stupid and Small !!! on my city many riders prefer bmx !!! i'm Only one ride Mtb street/ark on my town i really love my P 26 custom its so light now i beat bmx riders hahah Soo my only advise get mtb dude !!!!

Posted: Sep 26, 2015 at 16:25 Quote
danherz wrote:
Funny this old thread popped up as I am currently experiencing a similar dilemma.

I have been riding my 26 inch Eastern Night Train for about 3 years now (after not riding for several years before that) and I do love it, however 99% of the time I ride concrete skate parks with my BMX mates. I am at a point where I need to spend some money to upgrade/fix parts on my Night Train. After riding so much with the BMX guys I am tempted to spend that money on a 20" instead.

I find the 26" doesn't hold me back from doing quarter pipe airs, wall rides, lines/transfers at the park, manuals, and some tricks like 180's, roll backs, tables, toboggans, etc. But on the other hand it is much more work to do techie stuff like quick spins, tailwhips, manual 180's etc. All of which I witness my BMX friends do and learn with ease. Also, can't do turndowns which is a bummer because I use to be able to (years ago during my BMX days)

I am at a point where I am decently good for the average enthusiast, but for me it will never be a career or money making endeavor so I am not to worried about throwing the craziest tricks. On the other hand, I do enjoy doing tricks and it would be nice to be able to do them with less effort and learn fun/new stuff more frequently.

The things I like about the 26" are; It separates my older ass from all the yougin's at the park, it feels like a boss when doing big transfers or nice manuals around the park, and it probably looks better to an outside observer.

Things I don't like; It's so much heavier, it's hard to maneuver quick spins and takes a lot of effort, parts are expensive.. and I'm that old weirdo on a mountain bike at every skatepark I go to (Lol, not really a concern).

BUT I have been riding some of my friends 20" bikes at the parks lately and while they are so easy to hop and spin on I have to say they feel almost too "flickable", like if I lean back just a little bit the bike feels like I am gonna loop out, and all the brakes suck so much compared to my XT's haha (gotta love those hydraulic disc brakes).

TL/DR; decisions decisions, sorry for the novel.

My recommendation would be to go 24". I rode 26 for almost 10 years between trials, street, dirt and park. After all that time, I bought a 24" wheelset and a Suburban 24 frame. I have to say, for such a small size difference the actual feel of 24s is much better than 26s for bmx style whips and rotations. The best part is, you can learn tricks easily on 24s and transfer them to 26s quickly. I've heard a few other people on this board mention the wheel rigidity of 24s being exponentially better, as well. I still have 2 26" bikes in my 'stable' and I barely ride either of them anymore.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010020
Mobile Version of Website