Sram xo 10spd advice needed

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Sram xo 10spd advice needed
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 29, 2013 at 10:18 Quote
Hi, at the moment I am using shimano xtr medium cage non clutch type rear mech, I run a single race face narrow/wide 32t ring up front, I am still dropping the chain on fast rough ground and i am thinking of swapping to sram xo clutch mech and shifter, can I use a sram short cage with my sram 36t rear cassett or will I have to use a med length xo rear mech,
also I like the shimano xtr rapid fire shifting as I can go up 2 gears and down 3 gears in 1 full stroke of the lever, can this be done with sram xo gearing or do you have to flick the shift lever for every single gear, if you under stand what I mean, as in 10 flicks for 10 gears compared to 3 flicks for 9 gears, thanks for any advice
ps, I don't want to swap to a shimano clutch mech as I want to use a long cage mech

Posted: Dec 30, 2013 at 2:45 Quote
I am using the medium x0 with a 36tooth cassette and 32t narrow wide ring with no probs.
It's a non clutch type derailieur...

You shouldn't need a short cage but maybe check you have enough chain tension?
With the sram shifter you can go down a few gears at a time but up only one at a time.

Hope this helps, maybe it is worth putting more chain tension on before changing

Posted: Dec 30, 2013 at 4:47 Quote
supermike306 wrote:
I am using the medium x0 with a 36tooth cassette and 32t narrow wide ring with no probs.
It's a non clutch type derailieur...

You shouldn't need a short cage but maybe check you have enough chain tension?
With the sram shifter you can go down a few gears at a time but up only one at a time.

Hope this helps, maybe it is worth putting more chain tension on before changing

thanks mike, I tried putting more chain tension on but tit didn't make much difference, I've just ordered a xt clutch rear mech so will see how that goes, thanks for the help

O+
Posted: Dec 30, 2013 at 8:25 Quote
Hope the XT works out. For future reference, you want a short cage if your running a single ring upfront. The shorter cage will give you more reliable shifting and better clearance. Longer cages are designed to compensate for front mech shifting. You want a long cage for 3X setups, Medium cage for 2X setups and short cage for single ring.

As for shifting, I've known people to run 10 speed shimano shifters with a sram mech, but I have not personally tried it. Shimano rapid fire is sooo much better than sram. I was always a shimano guy, but thought I'd try XX1 on my new bike. Love the 1X11, but miss the shimano shifting. If XTR comes out a compatible 11 speed shifter, I'll be switching back.

Posted: Dec 30, 2013 at 9:40 Quote
DoubleDog wrote:
Hope the XT works out. For future reference, you want a short cage if your running a single ring upfront. The shorter cage will give you more reliable shifting and better clearance. Longer cages are designed to compensate for front mech shifting. You want a long cage for 3X setups, Medium cage for 2X setups and short cage for single ring.

As for shifting, I've known people to run 10 speed shimano shifters with a sram mech, but I have not personally tried it. Shimano rapid fire is sooo much better than sram. I was always a shimano guy, but thought I'd try XX1 on my new bike. Love the 1X11, but miss the shimano shifting. If XTR comes out a compatible 11 speed shifter, I'll be switching back.

thanks for that doubledog,i must admit I do like the shifting on the rapid fire shifters, they don't do a short xt rear mech though, so the medium will have to do

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010279
Mobile Version of Website