Thoughts on the new Kona Process 134 DL?

PB Forum :: Kona
Thoughts on the new Kona Process 134 DL?
Posted: Sep 13, 2014 at 16:47 Quote
Wow, sounds like most of you guys really dig the Process 134 DL. I managed to take one for a test ride @ a shop in Boulder,CO and it was awesome! Aside from the dropper post not dropping it was a great test ride. The guy at the shop just said it was 'stuck' and need to be moved again to get the dropper post working again.

He also mentioned he owns one and has been loving it. He said he was debating between the Process and one of the Giants the shop carries.

Anyway, the bike 134 DL is on sale for $3300 and I'm entertaining the idea of getting it but not sure since I have way too many 26'ers. LOL. I just bought a DH bike this season so it's debatable if I'll do it but it seems like a great bike for the $!!

I would love to go to the 27.5" platform to see how it can improve my riding but I still love 26'ers. The thing that appealed to be most about the Process was the nice fitting/feeling geometry of this bike. From what I gathered from that shop and a local shop in Colorado Springs is the 27.5" is more than capable for a lot of harsh and rocky terrain. I was thinking about the 153 model but that would be overkill for trail riding. The shops I talked to said the Process 153 is more suited for people that don't have a DH bike and would like to use it for DH at resorts and trail riding.

Also, do you think the DL model is worth the extra cash? And did you set yours up tubeless right away? Thanks for anymore info.

I'm a HUGE Kona fan and I haven't really tested any other 27.5"ers but this one just seems well suited for me. My 2005 Kona Dawg has been great for everything from local trail riding to DH at the resorts. The paint has also help up well.

Posted: Sep 13, 2014 at 19:50 Quote
Going to 27.5 from 26 probably won't improve your riding much, if at all. That's not what makes this bike good. As you said, it's the geometry, balance, and fit. If you have a DH bike for parks and, well, DH, then a 134 probably would be better for you than the 153.

As for the DL model? Yes, it's worth it. The difference in the fork, shock, dropper post, drivetrain, and brakes make it worthwhile. The non-DL model will allow people on a tighter budget to get a great bike, but if you have the $3300 or so you'll be happier on the DL. (For me and the 153, the non-DL model was good enough...and fit my budget.)

Posted: Sep 15, 2014 at 16:05 Quote
patwoods wrote:
Going to 27.5 from 26 probably won't improve your riding much, if at all. That's not what makes this bike good. As you said, it's the geometry, balance, and fit. If you have a DH bike for parks and, well, DH, then a 134 probably would be better for you than the 153.

As for the DL model? Yes, it's worth it. The difference in the fork, shock, dropper post, drivetrain, and brakes make it worthwhile. The non-DL model will allow people on a tighter budget to get a great bike, but if you have the $3300 or so you'll be happier on the DL. (For me and the 153, the non-DL model was good enough...and fit my budget.)

Cool, Thanks for the feedback Pat. I'm still debating on it and if I see the price drop lower I'll probably pull the trigger. The DL model definitely seems worth the extra $.

If I can get rid of some extra wheel sets and other stuff I might justify getting the Process. The fit and feel of the bike is great! I'd love to take it out on the trails for a real test!

Posted: Nov 16, 2014 at 5:34 Quote
Hey guys - I'm thinking about getting a process so I have two questions. I'll start by saying im primarily planning on using this as a trail bike to complement by DH- but down the road. It would be nice if I could use is for light DH biking. Obviously nothing crazy, but small jumps and stuff at the local park.

So,
1) Any suggestions between the 153 and 134. I want the 153 if I'm being honest. But I don't want another large travel bike that will be hard to pedal. I fear the 134 might be a better trail bike but suck at a park. Any input?

2) I'm 6'4 with roughly a 36-37" inseam. Is it safe to assume I should be on an XL?

Posted: Nov 16, 2014 at 21:01 Quote
I have been riding a 2015 Process (non-DL) for a month now. First thing I did was put a 150mm Pike on it and I must say it is a totally awesome bike. This fork does *slightly* change the geo, but the Pike is superb, with the slightly longer fork (stock is 140mm) really only noticeable on steep technical climbs where I need to really be on the very nose of my saddle and over the bars to maintain good control. Going down I have a ton of confidence now and it feels like a mini-DH bike. I live near Seattle, and Tiger Mtn, Grand Ridge, Duthie, Henry's, and Summit Ridge are my local spots, and I think this bike is perfect for all these. I also replaced the Maxxis Ardents with Nobby Nicks for the winter since they are better in the mucky conditions around here. BTW, I'm 6'0 w/ a 33" inseam and the large is sized perfect for me.

Posted: Nov 23, 2014 at 12:25 Quote
BryanBobo wrote:
Hey guys - I'm thinking about getting a process so I have two questions. I'll start by saying im primarily planning on using this as a trail bike to complement by DH- but down the road. It would be nice if I could use is for light DH biking. Obviously nothing crazy, but small jumps and stuff at the local park.

So,
1) Any suggestions between the 153 and 134. I want the 153 if I'm being honest. But I don't want another large travel bike that will be hard to pedal. I fear the 134 might be a better trail bike but suck at a park. Any input?

2) I'm 6'4 with roughly a 36-37" inseam. Is it safe to assume I should be on an XL?
I've ridden both the 134 and 153 at Summit bike park in SoCal, and both are lots of fun. What I noticed most was the fork options on the 134 don't match the performance of the frame/rear susp. I found through lots of test-riding that I kept saying that the 134 needed a Pike on it. Then, to help it climb, I would have wanted the shock with the climb switch on it, so either I was ordering a 134 and changing the fork and shock, or the 134 DL and still changing the fork. Ooooor, ordering the 153 and not having to make any changes. (It comes with the Pike and a shock with a climb switch.)

The 153 doesn't pedal uphill easily, but it gets there. (My own fitness seems to be the bigger limiting factor here.) Pedalling will be greatly affected by the rear tire - the stock HighRoller II is a sloooow-pedalling tire. I switched it for a Rock Razor for the summer and recently put a Continental X-King on the rear for winter trail rides. For me, the pedalling trade-off was 100% worth it. For others, it may not be.

At 6'4", even the XL may be a tad small. I'm 6'1", 33" inseam, and I was borderline L/XL. I went with a L, and have no regrets.

Posted: Nov 23, 2014 at 13:00 Quote
patwoods wrote:
BryanBobo wrote:

So,

I've ridden both the 134 and 153 at Summit bike park in SoCal, and both are lots of fun. What I noticed most was the fork options on the 134 don't match the performance of the frame/rear susp. I found through lots of test-riding that I kept saying that the 134 needed a Pike on it. Then, to help it climb, I would have wanted the shock with the climb switch on it, so either I was ordering a 134 and changing the fork and shock, or the 134 DL and still changing the fork. Ooooor, ordering the 153 and not having to make any changes. (It comes with the Pike and a shock with a climb switch.)

The 153 doesn't pedal uphill easily, but it gets there. (My own fitness seems to be the bigger limiting factor here.) Pedalling will be greatly affected by the rear tire - the stock HighRoller II is a sloooow-pedalling tire. I switched it for a Rock Razor for the summer and recently put a Continental X-King on the rear for winter trail rides. For me, the pedalling trade-off was 100% worth it. For others, it may not be.

At 6'4", even the XL may be a tad small. I'm 6'1", 33" inseam, and I was borderline L/XL. I went with a L, and have no regrets.

Thank you! Very helpful! My heart will always be downhill, so honestly I normally search for single track with a bit knarlier DH sections. I just want to make sure the 153 would get me to the top. I'm not planning on any 30 mile XC rides. As for the height - at 6'4 idt I have ever found a bike big enough. It's just a matter of finding one that works haha

Posted: Nov 24, 2014 at 6:40 Quote
I've done some long trail rides on the 153 - it will get you to the top. The price is a bit higher for the fun you'll have on the DH, that's all. And, ooohhhhh, that fun!

Posted: Nov 24, 2014 at 14:59 Quote
134DL is the best bike I've owned to date.
It's fun both going up and coming down but if you are looking for something to do big drops and gaps on, it's not the bike.

Posted: Nov 26, 2014 at 7:56 Quote
So stoked! Just ordered mine yesterday. Opted to get the base model for the nicer blue color and the fact that I would be changing most components anyway regardless of build spec. Shop is setting it up with a Race Face NW, tubeless, and new Fox factory 34 float @140mm. Will post pics upon delivery Smile

Posted: Nov 26, 2014 at 12:28 Quote
The Dl version wasn't worth it for me, plus the base model is a better colour. I was upgrading crankset and cassette anyway. The Slx brakes are cheap. Just fitted a Pike, awesome bike. With careful shopping you can get better spec than the Dl for not much more money.

Posted: Nov 27, 2014 at 10:28 Quote
patwoods wrote:
I've done some long trail rides on the 153 - it will get you to the top. The price is a bit higher for the fun you'll have on the DH, that's all. And, ooohhhhh, that fun!

I also do long climbs on the 153 with my pack and full face and it's O.K. Not the best thing in the world but if you must, you will make it to the top. I run the 153 Non DL with Zee brakes and Renthal fat bar. Best bike i've ridden. So much travel and confidence. The 134 with the 150mm Pike someone mentioned should also be a blast.

Overall the Process line was a homerun. Reasonable prices and very capable bikes.

Hope you enjoy your bikes!

Posted: Dec 20, 2014 at 20:15 Quote
If you guys had a choice between a yeti sb66 or a Kona process 134, which would you get? This will be my do everything bike in the Seattle area.

Posted: Dec 21, 2014 at 6:09 Quote
MorganBH wrote:
If you guys had a choice between a yeti sb66 or a Kona process 134, which would you get? This will be my do everything bike in the Seattle area.
I haven't ridden an SB66, but the 134 with a decent fork was a really good bike. It can do just about do anything (climbing, descending, cornering, jumping). It would have difficulty in rougher sections, but I think it would make a great do-all bike. Its 5.25" of travel feels like more than that coming downhill.

With that said, I know a couple people who ride an SB66, and they love them. They also do everything on that bike.

I guess that doesn't help your decision much huh?Blank Stare

Posted: Dec 21, 2014 at 7:50 Quote
patwoods wrote:
MorganBH wrote:
I haven't ridden an SB66, but the 134 with a decent fork was a really good bike. It can do just about do anything (climbing, descending, cornering, jumping). It would have difficulty in rougher sections, but I think it would make a great do-all bike. Its 5.25" of travel feels like more than that coming downhill.

With that said, I know a couple people who ride an SB66, and they love them. They also do everything on that bike.

I guess that doesn't help your decision much huh?Blank Stare

How about this: used yeti sb66 with pretty decent components vs new non dl process?

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005499
Mobile Version of Website