Thoughts on the new Kona Process 134 DL?

PB Forum :: Kona
Thoughts on the new Kona Process 134 DL?
Posted: Mar 1, 2016 at 7:52 Quote
dkcove wrote:
Hi,I'm looking on a size recommendation on a 134,I'm 5'11" and have a 2005 Kona Dawg that's a medium,think that's an 18" frame that's about right for size, and also a Cove Handjob XC in a medium frame,the cove is only just right in size,if it was even a little bit shorter I would find it too small,I tried a large Cove but found it too big.
I like the low standover I get on both bikes but it looks like the 134 also has pretty good standover?
Also I've read the 134 is a bit on the heavy side,but it seems from what I've searched its around the same weight as the Dawg?

I'm 6' and ride a large, it doesn't feel too big at all. The stand over is super short, my 5' tall son can stand over it comfortably. The reach is what changes most for the different sizes. If I were you I'd get the large with a short stem.

My bike weighs 30 lbs with stans flow ex wheels set up tubeless, pike RC fork, reverb dropper, 1x10 gearing, etc.

Posted: Mar 2, 2016 at 13:41 Quote
Thanks for the reply Morgan,looks like weight wouldn't be an issue,I think the weight and sturdiness of the Dawg is great for ploughing straight through stuff so the extra travel on the 134 should be great for the bigger stuffSmile

Posted: Mar 14, 2016 at 19:31 Quote
could you run a vivid air on the process they sell the size for it?

Posted: Mar 14, 2016 at 23:24 Quote
Iv seen plenty on 153s and there's plenty of space under there so can't see why not on 134. Tho not sure why you would

Posted: Mar 15, 2016 at 9:01 Quote
markg1150 wrote:
Iv seen plenty on 153s and there's plenty of space under there so can't see why not on 134. Tho not sure why you would

https://www.sram.com/rockshox/products/vivid-air-r2c

The 167s come with a vivid. They don't come in the correct eye to eye or stroke length for the 134s.

Posted: Mar 15, 2016 at 11:58 Quote
what are some good shocks to run on the back just the monrach does not seem strong enough?

Posted: Mar 15, 2016 at 17:25 Quote
fmogan77 wrote:
what are some good shocks to run on the back just the monrach does not seem strong enough?

What does "strong enough" mean? I think that the monarch is great for the amount of travel the 134 is designed around. I'm 200 lbs, and riding some pretty rocky/rooty terrain in the PNW. It's not a shock you'd see on a DH sled.

Posted: Mar 15, 2016 at 18:30 Quote
Well what I meant was can it last long desents

Posted: Mar 15, 2016 at 19:39 Quote
My 153 has the basic Monarch, and for nearly 2 years it's been fine. I've put it through looooong trail rides that include long, continuous descents, as well as bike park jumping. No complaints. (Tho to be fair, I've never owned a bike with a blingy shock, so maybe I don't know what I'm missing?)

Posted: Mar 15, 2016 at 20:09 Quote
True my frame is coming on Thursday so we will see how the bike rides

Posted: Mar 15, 2016 at 23:21 Quote
I swapped the basic none debonair shock on my 2014 153 after a year becaues on proper ruff dh tracks it did get a bit soft towards the end of a run but it was never uncontrollable and it never missed a beat reliability wise. The rc3 deb that replaced it didn't stay reliable but did resist fade better. But
Given what your more likely to be riding a 134 down I wouldn't both changing it tbh. And if you did I'd probably go dB inline

Posted: Apr 19, 2016 at 9:40 Quote
Hey I'm trying to decide between a Process 134 and a precept 130, i have a really low budget. component wise the bikes seem almost the same, so i would like to know. Is the suspension design of the process better? is it stronger/stiffer than the precept? what I'm looking for is a nice frame who's components i can upgrade over time. Also i honestly like the aesthetic of the precept a lot more than the process. so anyone who has ridden both over a variety of trails, let me know how you compare the two as far as the frame goes.

Posted: May 9, 2016 at 15:11 Quote
Considering the 134 vs a Trance 2. This will be my first FS bike and i am 6'2" 230. The 134 i was thinking XL and the Trance 2 a L. I feel like i like the 134 better but it seems that i would have better quality components on the Trance 2..? Just looking for some EXPERIENCED knowledge on the pros/cons. Am i giving up a ridiculous amount if i go with the 134? (2016 models) Also the lbs with the Kona's more suits my personality! Thanks!

Posted: May 9, 2016 at 18:39 Quote
skillethead wrote:
Considering the 134 vs a Trance 2. This will be my first FS bike and i am 6'2" 230. The 134 i was thinking XL and the Trance 2 a L. I feel like i like the 134 better but it seems that i would have better quality components on the Trance 2..? Just looking for some EXPERIENCED knowledge on the pros/cons. Am i giving up a ridiculous amount if i go with the 134? (2016 models) Also the lbs with the Kona's more suits my personality! Thanks!

Kona because geometry and more respect Big Grin

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006187
Mobile Version of Website