Trek Ticket S Build

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Trek Ticket S Build
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 20, 2014 at 10:28 Quote
Hey PB!

I recently made the decision to build up a ticket s, as I live on a acreage, have built a pump-track. I also have plans for multiple dj/ss lines from a 10+ foot high drop-in I shall be building early spring. As for the bike, I plan on riding dj/ss of course, as well as local (edmonton) river valley trails, so i plan on keeping the bike geared. Tell me what you think I should build the ticket with, as well as why, with notable pros/cons, features, etc. I want to build the bike as light as I can without sacrificing any durability or performance. I am fairly light (sub 140) at 5 foot 8 inches tall. As per cost, it is not an issue, and want to go to near top/top end components, as I am 15(almost all disposable income) with a job at a LBS. I will be bolding any parts I am unsure or indecisive of, and italicizing any parts I have already purchased for the build.

Here's my planned build.

Frame: Trek Ticket S (Alpha Platinum Aluminum, ABP Convert, Full Floater, E2 tapered head tube, press fit BB, ISCG 05, Mino Link, alloy EVO link, 100mm travel)
http://www.trekbikes.com/ca/en/bikes/mountain/gravity/ticket/ticket_s_frameset/#/ca/en/model/details?url=ca/en/bikes/mountain/gravity/ticket/ticket_s_frameset)
Matte Black

Rear Shock: Fox Evolution Series Float w/CTD (climb-trail-descend) damper, rebound, tuned by Trek in California, 6.5x1.5"

Fork: Rockshox Argyle RCT (orange) or Fox 34 831 26
I do not want to include an angleset, but would not mind running the argyle, as I would buy the 140mm travel version, and lower it to 120 for the extra 20mm of travel, and slightly slacker HT angle(due to the longer fork). As for the 34 831, I like the 34mm stanchions, but am not sure about the 15mm axles. Are they strong/stiff enough?

Cockpit

Bars: Easton Havoc 20mm rise, 35mm o/d 800mm rise, will be cut to 780-750mm (orange)

Stem: RaceFace atlas 35mm reach, 35mm o/d 0 degree rise (black)

Pedals: Spank spike flats orange

Saddle: SDG Patriot I Beam orange

Seatpost: SDG I Beam aluminum

Grips: ODI Ruffian 130mm, Black

Brakes: Shimano Zee

Wheels:

Hubs: 2014 Hope Pro2 evo 40 point engagement, Black or Chris King Iso(rear)/ Iso 20/15mm(front), mango, 72 point engagement At the moment I am leaning towards the Hope, as they are much cheaper, and I already owned a set, and they proved very durable & light (on a Flatline).

Rims: Stans Notubes flow EX or Spank Spike race28, or something else. I am looking for reliability, with sub 500g for weight. Not considering CF.

Spokes. dt swiss champion, 2.0/1.8, black

Tires: Maxxis ardent, possibly exo, except I'm not sure it is necessary except for possibly taking the bike to ride prostar/ pipedream at silver star.

Note - I can lace & true my own wheels, so there as no extra costs associated with building a set up from scratch.

Drive train literally lost sleep wracking my brain with gear ratios, ways to save weight, all of the damn options!

Crankset: Shimano Zee, with 32 tooth ring. May replace stock ring with

Chainring: raceface narrow/wide, 32 tooth

Chainguide (for stock zee ring) e13 lg1+ or lg1r or Straightline silent guide or DO I EVEN NEED ONE?? assuming I run the narrow/wide, is it even necessary to run a chainguide for slopestyle?

Cassette: Shimano Ultegra 11-28t

Rear derailler: shimao zee dh ratio (max 28t)

Shifter: Shimano zee 10 speed

Chain: shimano 10 speed

Tell me what you think, what you think I should change and why. Any comments are appreciated!

Thanks,
Dylan

O+
Posted: Jan 20, 2014 at 12:09 Quote
Don't bother with the chain guide. I am doing a very similar build on my ticket s when it comes. There will be a big difference in shifter from zee to saint, so maybe consider getting cheaper pedals (deity compound) and upgrading that.

O+
Posted: Jan 20, 2014 at 12:10 Quote
Also, you probably don't need the 4 piston zee brakes. I'd probably go xt.

Posted: Jan 20, 2014 at 12:36 Quote
byubound wrote:
Also, you probably don't need the 4 piston zee brakes. I'd probably go xt.

I already have a set of zee s ready to go, I do realize there's no way I'd need the power but I have the brakes. May consider XT though, depends on the pricing. As for the pedals, I already have the pedals purchased, and I am super finicky regarding pedals, need to be thin with good grip, except usually the bearings are fked within a season, but hopefully the larger inboard bearing fixes that problem (had ht aeo1s) also the lbs I work at and get cheap parts at cannot get diety, as they currently don't have a Canadian distributor. Anyways, would you run a bash guard if you went without a guide?

O+
Posted: Jan 20, 2014 at 14:57 Quote
I am running saint cranks with a narrow wide ring, no bash or guide. I might consider running one of those quarter bashguards though.

Posted: Jan 20, 2014 at 15:02 Quote
byubound wrote:
I am running saint cranks with a narrow wide ring, no bash or guide. I might consider running one of those quarter bashguards though.

What bike is that on? I doubt I'll move up too saints, as the weight is nearly the same(compared to saint), and I'd rather spend a bit more on a fork and wheelset.

O+
Posted: Jan 20, 2014 at 18:26 Quote
I'm getting a ticket s too.

Posted: Jan 20, 2014 at 18:28 Quote
byubound wrote:
I'm getting a ticket s too.

The black or r-dog edition? And forks will you be putting on the bike?

O+
Posted: Jan 20, 2014 at 20:52 Quote
R dawg. I got a circus expert for it.

Posted: Jan 20, 2014 at 21:15 Quote
byubound wrote:
R dawg. I got a circus expert for it.
Ah sick paint job but I'm going with the black! (Canada eh?) what about the option of lowering a fox 36 (float)?

O+
Posted: Jan 20, 2014 at 21:35 Quote
A lowered 36 would be sweet. I just went for the circus because they are so cheap, and minimally heavier than the 36. Another option would be a lowered lyric or x fusion vengeance.

Posted: Jan 20, 2014 at 21:43 Quote
byubound wrote:
A lowered 36 would be sweet. I just went for the circus because they are so cheap, and minimally heavier than the 36. Another option would be a lowered lyric or x fusion vengeance.
A lyric I haven't looked into much, but sadly the lbs I get the good pricing at cannot order in x fusion even if I'd want to run it. Hopefully a 36 is within reasonable $$, would be awesome at bike parks w/ the beefier stanchions.

O+
Posted: Jan 21, 2014 at 18:46 Quote
Yeah, I was looking into a 36 or a lyric because I wanted to see how the frame rode at like 140mm vs 100. With the circus I am stuck at 100, but I can spend more money on other stuff, which is good.

Posted: Jan 21, 2014 at 19:19 Quote
I just got zee brakes on my aurum today! Only took two quick runs on em, but I'd say they'd be a bit overkill on a SS bike. So much power.. I'm not really gonna be able to test them out for real till I hit some chutes or big mountain lines lol A nice pair of trail/AM brakes would save some weight, and maybe be a better fit?

Posted: Jan 21, 2014 at 19:31 Quote
byubound wrote:
Yeah, I was looking into a 36 or a lyric because I wanted to see how the frame rode at like 140mm vs 100. With the circus I am stuck at 100, but I can spend more money on other stuff, which is good.
Not sure if 140mm would be too far off from the 100mm rear, but I was going to probably lower whichever fork I get to 120, as I plan to also ride trail, and don't mind kicking the bike out a hair. I get what you're saying though, but I also want something plush enough for trail, not just to set something up to take the larger hit without any sensitivity.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012578
Mobile Version of Website