Trek Ticket S Build

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Trek Ticket S Build
Author Message
Posted: Nov 20, 2016 at 19:04 Quote
Fritobandito wrote:
I was wondering if anyone has had issues with the frame bearings? I'm looking at getting a ticket s shortly and someone else mentioned he has to replace the bearings every month. A guy I ride with has one and the bearings fell right out of his frame while we were sitting there talking. I'm wondering if they were unlucky or if others have had the same problem.

Only issues I have had have been in the Evo-link, and Trek has taken care of them on warranty every time,

Posted: Jan 5, 2017 at 6:57 Quote
ZenkiS14 wrote:
Fritobandito wrote:
I was wondering if anyone has had issues with the frame bearings? I'm looking at getting a ticket s shortly and someone else mentioned he has to replace the bearings every month. A guy I ride with has one and the bearings fell right out of his frame while we were sitting there talking. I'm wondering if they were unlucky or if others have had the same problem.

Only issues I have had have been in the Evo-link, and Trek has taken care of them on warranty every time,


are the EVO links the center bolt on the linkage triangle that holds the rear end to the main frame? i smashed that bearing out, you really have to just check that the linkage bolts often, if they com loose you may destroy the bearings. but they have all the bearings and bolts easily available. i just took mine apart and replaced all the bearings and painted the bike. amazing feeling bike!

Posted: Jan 5, 2017 at 7:33 Quote
painting the Frame Start to finish is more than $600! if you dont have the bike and are willing to buy new then have them paint it at trek. for me to airbrush a bike you will have to take all the bearings out, find some one to sandblast or you can wreck the bearings even if you tape them up good. after sand blasting you may be able to get a buddy deal at an autobody shop for $300 - $700 then you have to press all the bearings back in. having it done at Trek is a much better price than i expected! painting a bike after its been put together is 5 times the work than a fresh frame at the factory. for those who love playing with bikes it can be worth it but if your looking at cost and convenience then there is more to consider

Trek Ticket S
  Trek Ticket S
Trek Ticket S Custom Painted by myself

Posted: Jan 6, 2017 at 13:06 Quote
Just wanna push back a little on your numbers. I work seasonally at Trek and when I was gonna have them paint my frame it was gonna be several months and cost an additional $600. The frames now just come in black, there isn't really an option to have them take a raw frame and paint them up, so it requires as strip down and paint.

I have a buddy who does cars and he rides so he taped my frame up (after I removed all the bearings, I don't know if the bearing press kit is something shops stock now, I would assume they would need to), he painted it, and then I put it back together. And he only charged $200.

I don't know your connections at Trek, but I'm in the MTB department and have all the connections and it was still more efficient and economical to do it out of the company.


o2art wrote:
painting the Frame Start to finish is more than $600! if you dont have the bike and are willing to buy new then have them paint it at trek. for me to airbrush a bike you will have to take all the bearings out, find some one to sandblast or you can wreck the bearings even if you tape them up good. after sand blasting you may be able to get a buddy deal at an autobody shop for $300 - $700 then you have to press all the bearings back in. having it done at Trek is a much better price than i expected! painting a bike after its been put together is 5 times the work than a fresh frame at the factory. for those who love playing with bikes it can be worth it but if your looking at cost and convenience then there is more to consider

Trek Ticket S
  Trek Ticket S
Trek Ticket S Custom Painted by myself

Posted: Jan 7, 2017 at 9:45 Quote
thanks for the update man. thats rad that you got a good buddy deal at $200. i was simply saying that getting a frame done by trek is just cost an convenience wise a good way to go. the guy painting there now is creating some cool stuff. if you already have the frame then finding buddies to paint it for you is the best. if you were to ask a shop to take your frame and take it apart and do all the prep and paint and put it back together then it would be well over $1000 and if you wanted fancy colours and airbrushing then you add a bit on top of that. of course there is always the chance a parent or a good friend works at a shop and can do it for the cost of materials or free. i have been doing custom airbrushing for around 10 years, i encourage people to search out those friends in the industry and customize their stuff. a lot of the guys, including myself are willing to help people out.
if someone wanted their frame done i would have them take it apart and remove bearings, then find a sandblaster. if a sanded frame is brought to a shop it is easy for them to toss it in the spray booth and spray it black or white or a common automotive car colour and get it back to you quick for a few hundred. for me to airbrush a sanded frame it can be 5-40 hours. Then to have it clear coated is another couple hours and cost of clear. The actual painting part is not the hard part, its all the prep that leads up to the painting, the fancy colours and clears add a bit too

t1maglio wrote:
Just wanna push back a little on your numbers. I work seasonally at Trek and when I was gonna have them paint my frame it was gonna be several months and cost an additional $600. The frames now just come in black, there isn't really an option to have them take a raw frame and paint them up, so it requires as strip down and paint.

I have a buddy who does cars and he rides so he taped my frame up (after I removed all the bearings, I don't know if the bearing press kit is something shops stock now, I would assume they would need to), he painted it, and then I put it back together. And he only charged $200.

I don't know your connections at Trek, but I'm in the MTB department and have all the connections and it was still more efficient and economical to do it out of the company.


o2art wrote:
painting the Frame Start to finish is more than $600! if you dont have the bike and are willing to buy new then have them paint it at trek. for me to airbrush a bike you will have to take all the bearings out, find some one to sandblast or you can wreck the bearings even if you tape them up good. after sand blasting you may be able to get a buddy deal at an autobody shop for $300 - $700 then you have to press all the bearings back in. having it done at Trek is a much better price than i expected! painting a bike after its been put together is 5 times the work than a fresh frame at the factory. for those who love playing with bikes it can be worth it but if your looking at cost and convenience then there is more to consider

Trek Ticket S
  Trek Ticket S
Trek Ticket S Custom Painted by myself

Posted: Jan 8, 2017 at 17:55 Quote
Yup, I hear you on all of that, and yes, the paint folks at Trek are doing rad stuff. My point is to get a frame painted ... just painted ... as an employee ... was going to cost me $600 (and the guy that I work for that runs the trails is good friends with him and was trying to do a work around and get it as cheap as possible). It just sounded like you could order a frame and have them paint it, which its not that simple. They come off the boat in Black and would have to be stripped and painted ... custom stuff through Trek, unless you are sponsored, employed at Waterloo, or getting a P1 would be miraculous.

o2art wrote:
thanks for the update man. thats rad that you got a good buddy deal at $200. i was simply saying that getting a frame done by trek is just cost an convenience wise a good way to go. the guy painting there now is creating some cool stuff. if you already have the frame then finding buddies to paint it for you is the best. if you were to ask a shop to take your frame and take it apart and do all the prep and paint and put it back together then it would be well over $1000 and if you wanted fancy colours and airbrushing then you add a bit on top of that. of course there is always the chance a parent or a good friend works at a shop and can do it for the cost of materials or free. i have been doing custom airbrushing for around 10 years, i encourage people to search out those friends in the industry and customize their stuff. a lot of the guys, including myself are willing to help people out.
if someone wanted their frame done i would have them take it apart and remove bearings, then find a sandblaster. if a sanded frame is brought to a shop it is easy for them to toss it in the spray booth and spray it black or white or a common automotive car colour and get it back to you quick for a few hundred. for me to airbrush a sanded frame it can be 5-40 hours. Then to have it clear coated is another couple hours and cost of clear. The actual painting part is not the hard part, its all the prep that leads up to the painting, the fancy colours and clears add a bit too

t1maglio wrote:
Just wanna push back a little on your numbers. I work seasonally at Trek and when I was gonna have them paint my frame it was gonna be several months and cost an additional $600. The frames now just come in black, there isn't really an option to have them take a raw frame and paint them up, so it requires as strip down and paint.

I have a buddy who does cars and he rides so he taped my frame up (after I removed all the bearings, I don't know if the bearing press kit is something shops stock now, I would assume they would need to), he painted it, and then I put it back together. And he only charged $200.

I don't know your connections at Trek, but I'm in the MTB department and have all the connections and it was still more efficient and economical to do it out of the company.


o2art wrote:
painting the Frame Start to finish is more than $600! if you dont have the bike and are willing to buy new then have them paint it at trek. for me to airbrush a bike you will have to take all the bearings out, find some one to sandblast or you can wreck the bearings even if you tape them up good. after sand blasting you may be able to get a buddy deal at an autobody shop for $300 - $700 then you have to press all the bearings back in. having it done at Trek is a much better price than i expected! painting a bike after its been put together is 5 times the work than a fresh frame at the factory. for those who love playing with bikes it can be worth it but if your looking at cost and convenience then there is more to consider

Trek Ticket S
  Trek Ticket S
Trek Ticket S Custom Painted by myself

Posted: Mar 18, 2017 at 11:54 Quote
Hey guys! I have a ticket too with rockshox pike 140 mm but I can't decided about handlebar width and rise... What is your handlebar settings with your forks? And what is your opinions about 140 vs 100 mm forks on ticket? Which one is better? Thanks!

Posted: Mar 18, 2017 at 20:44 Quote
I guess it depends on what you're using the bike for, but 100mm is the only way to go for me on my Ticket S.

I also ride a 750mm wide bar with a 50mm rise.

Posted: Jul 3, 2017 at 12:58 Quote
ZenkiS14 wrote:
Just finished mine up the other day, using a YESS tensioner. Haven't had it out on any real rides yet, just messing around on the street. But it doesn't look too bad, its light, and so far seems very very solid and reliable.




Long term review on that tensioner?

Posted: Jul 3, 2017 at 22:05 Quote
f*cking solid. Been 2 years now, not a single hiccup yet. Riding light DH trails, racing DH trails, slope parks, street riding, dirt jumps.

Never a problem yet. f*cking love it.

Posted: Jul 3, 2017 at 22:06 Quote
ZenkiS14 wrote:
f*cking solid. Been 2 years now, not a single hiccup yet. Riding light DH trails, racing DH trails, slope parks, street riding, dirt jumps.

Never a problem yet. f*cking love it.

Nice, can't seem to find them anymore though.

Posted: Jul 4, 2017 at 20:19 Quote
I had a hard time finding this one when I bought, I dont think they have been in production for a few years now

Posted: Aug 3, 2017 at 15:27 Quote
Ditched a ton of stuff and went back to my old air fork since it pretty much only sees smooth dirt jumps these days. Dropped 5 lbs haha.


Posted: Aug 3, 2017 at 16:00 Quote
Nice! That's a light build for an FS!

Posted: Aug 3, 2017 at 20:23 Quote
ZenkiS14 wrote:
Nice! That's a light build for an FS!

Its super nice setup singlespeed. Salute


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009587
Mobile Version of Website