Oneup Components 42 tooth - 1x10, reviews, set ups, etc...(1x11 killer?)

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Oneup Components 42 tooth - 1x10, reviews, set ups, etc...(1x11 killer?)
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 30, 2014 at 20:45 Quote
So, I've got one of these on order http://www.oneupcomponents.com

I really wanted XO1 or XX1, in 1x11, but I didn't want to buy a whole set up , i.e. Chainring, cassette, chain, Derailer and shifter. $$$$

So I ordered the 42 tooth cog($100), and a 34th Raceface chainring($40).

So, for $140, I'm hoping to have 11-42 transmission, close to Sram's 10-42.

My fingers are crossed this works.

Is anyone running a similar set up? Or is it still too early?

Is anyone planning on running a similar set up?

Thoughts? Comments?

Am I missing anything.

Posted: Jan 31, 2014 at 5:42 Quote
Yep i've ordered one also.Doesn't arrive until end of February though which is a bummer.

Currently i'm running a 33t up front with an 11-36 cassette. Range is ok but i have to do some steep climbs to get to where i ride and its killing me a bit. Looking forward to being able to drop it down one more gear.

Will likely pair it with N/W 34t but considering 32t

Posted: Feb 5, 2014 at 11:34 Quote
i found a cheaper verson on ebay. cant decide if its worth getting or not, looks ligit. i'm running 36t front and 11-36 rear. so i figure if i get the 42t cassette upgrade, i'll be fit enough from riding my 1:1 chain ring ratio to get a larger front ring and still benifit in comparison to my current set up. maybe a 37t or 38t front ring.

Posted: Feb 7, 2014 at 20:37 Quote
I just received mine, pictured above. I hope to install it this weekend.

Posted: Feb 15, 2014 at 15:49 Quote
Do you need to run a long cage derailer with the oneup?
I am running a Zee medium

Posted: Feb 17, 2014 at 0:17 Quote
I have been riding a 1x10 drive for about 3 months; wolftooth 26 gxp ring, sram 11-36 rear and x9 med cage clutch - simply awesome on trail but no high gear for fast open descents. This has been fine for the areas I generally ride.

The reduction of so many components; no chain device, no front derailleur, no front shifter can not be overstated. It really is great to find the gear you need with one shifter - and I haven't dropped a chain since day one with this set up. Hats off to wolftooth for such a great simple product - its the 26 gxp front ring that makes it work so well.

Hoping for a better gear range, I just received my oneup order and tried it out today with a wolftooth 30 up front. It shifts absolutely perfect, at least I don't notice any difference in shifting performance.

The range of the 30x11-42 is slightly better than the 26x11-36 set up was, with a bit taller gearing, but doesn't really feel that different through the gear range and doesnt give that much taller a final gear.

The 30x11-42 gearing is ideal for the trails I ride but I bet a lot of people are going to find they don't have either the top or bottom end of the range they need. You really need to sacrifice one to fit your riding area. For me I can dump the tallest gears and I don't miss them 99% of the time.

If you ride through your whole range of gears often - do lots of fast descents with steep climbs - then no 1x10 setup is going to work well for you. If you can bias your gearing to one end - like DH riders have for years - then the 42 tooth cogs, clutch derailleurs and low tooth narrow wide rings are exceptional upgrades to a trail bike.

Also I really must thank these two companies for offering such simple great working products - they definitely made my riding more fun by making it simpler.

Posted: Feb 17, 2014 at 6:50 Quote
How steep are the hills near you where you need to run 30x42?

I run 33x11-36 and can manage most climbs. Will plan on running 34x11-42 and that should cover all my gearing requirements

Posted: Feb 17, 2014 at 8:56 Quote
I live in BC - my main riding is North Shore - the trails are very technical and steep

the younger riders around here seem to run on 30x11-36 - frankly thats too tall a gear for me

whitey161 wrote:
How steep are the hills near you where you need to run 30x42?

I run 33x11-36 and can manage most climbs. Will plan on running 34x11-42 and that should cover all my gearing requirements

Posted: Feb 17, 2014 at 20:01 Quote
photo

Got one installed on my sons bike.

I was being over zealous in my thread title about these Oneup's being a 1x11 killer, as 10-42 is pretty awesome for a 1X. But, for budget minded guys, with a $40 chainring, and $100 for the Oneup, at a total of $140, this 11-42 is hard to beat. Can't wait to get out on the trail.

Posted: Feb 17, 2014 at 20:03 Quote
Here it is with 34 tooth chainring.

photo

Posted: Mar 25, 2014 at 9:47 Quote
ridden mine for a while now matched with R/F N/W 32t up front. Great range, almost perfect shifting, ever so slight delay compare to rest of the range. WOUld highly recommend it.

Posted: Mar 26, 2014 at 12:55 Quote
I'm running a oneup with a m786 clutch mech and a 30t n/w ring....it's steep here Smile It works really well but i might move up to a 32t soon as I could use some more gearing on the other end of the scale. It shifts in and out of the 42t real nice but the big b-screw adjustment makes shifting a bit soft in the smaller cogs.
photo

I also got a wolf tooth 42t for my Bandit 26, but haven't tried it yet as the SLX clutch mech I have does not have enough capacity Facepalm I'll report back when my 786 comes in, but upon initial inspection the wolf tooth is beefier and is specific to Shimano or Sram eliminating the separate little spacer
photo

Posted: Mar 26, 2014 at 18:22 Quote
I got a Wolftooth 42t and a Raceface 30t with newXT midcage, shifter and chain. Previously I ran 2 ring 9s setup 24/36 front and 11-32 rear.

For the trails i usually ride I think the 1x10 speed should work well. I get slightly more lowend gearing and 30/11should be high enough. I rarely used the 36 front with the 13t and almost never used the 11t.

The WT 42t setup shifts as good as my 9s setup did , with the exception of the 15-19 jump which is a little clunky.
wolftooth 42t
  wolftooth 42t

WT 42t
  WT 42t

Raceface 30t
  Raceface 30t

O+
Posted: Mar 27, 2014 at 8:21 Quote
I'm running a ONE UP with a Zee Freeride mech (not the DH version). It shifts better with the zee than it did with the xt mid cage. All shifts are flawless, even the 15-19.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.032289
Mobile Version of Website