what do you do for a living?

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
what do you do for a living?
Posted: Nov 1, 2015 at 19:19 Quote
Well for non stop industrial work your gonna be up north.
From the sounds of it your struggling to find work....... I got a few welder buddies who do nothing but bitch how much work they have. Not sure exactly what their doing. When we all get together we do our best to NOT talk work. Not sure this helps lol

Posted: Nov 1, 2015 at 19:29 Quote
kent wrote:
Well for non stop industrial work your gonna be up north.
From the sounds of it your struggling to find work....... I got a few welder buddies who do nothing but bitch how much work they have. Not sure exactly what their doing. When we all get together we do our best to NOT talk work. Not sure this helps lol

Im in residential and it is busy - townhouse, apartments and hi rise especially. We don't use a a lot of structural steel here like the east though - all reinforced concrete. BUT, Im doing commercial right now and my steel guys are so busy they can't keep up.

Posted: Nov 1, 2015 at 21:53 Quote
I'm not super fussy about what I work on, the problem is that my entire work history has revolved around the pipe trades end of things. Great for oil and gas, not so great for the commercial sector.

Posted: Nov 2, 2015 at 7:37 Quote
jonbikes wrote:
I'm not super fussy about what I work on, the problem is that my entire work history has revolved around the pipe trades end of things. Great for oil and gas, not so great for the commercial sector.

You are young, time to think about plying your skills to growing sectors as I'm afraid the oil and gas work isn't going to be viable for your entire career. Skilled, hard working, young guys are in demand here. Good luck!

Posted: Nov 2, 2015 at 10:05 Quote
bigredride wrote:
jonbikes wrote:

You are young, time to think about plying your skills to growing sectors as I'm afraid the oil and gas work isn't going to be viable for your entire career. Skilled, hard working, young guys are in demand here. Good luck!
I agree on the oil but natural gas is booming.

Posted: Nov 2, 2015 at 18:05 Quote
Anyone here self employed?

I'm giving it a go, so far so good!

Posted: Nov 2, 2015 at 19:24 Quote
Another week or so and I will be! Live in the lower mainland is too expensive to work for someone else.

Posted: Nov 2, 2015 at 19:57 Quote
Ya, but to tell you the truth where I live near Toronto it's about as expensive as whistler. As far as food and rent go...

Bikes are cheaper, since everyone in bc rides Smile

Ranting aside what type of work? I do barn and house repairs. Anything exterior roofs siding masonry. I like it. Learned and still work with my grandpa! I think he can outwork me maybe haha

Posted: Nov 4, 2015 at 20:19 Quote
I never really found whistler that expensive. pub food is expensive poor quality with shitty service. grocery stores are roughly the same, rent is the same just slightly smaller sq feet but the type of person who lives in whistler isnt a 'homebody' so its not an issue for most people. the problem is there is not much work up there for jobs over $30/hr becuase what few there are people are willing to do for less.

Im an A gas fitter. I do mainly residential since thats where all the contacts for weekend work come from. i dont work any weekends in the summer but work most saturdays in fall winter and pull in more $$ those 2 saturdays than I make in a 2 week pay period.
Im in the midst of getting my gas contractors license and my bond/liability hopefully end of next week its all finished up.

Posted: Nov 5, 2015 at 17:25 Quote
Nice man, good luck

Posted: Nov 8, 2015 at 16:52 Quote
I work on gas stations, mostly chevrons.
Everything thing from fuel tank installs and dispenser installs to Ada upgrades to painting the buildings. Kind of fun job always working somewhere different. Was a carpenter for 20+ yrs before.

O+
Posted: Dec 21, 2015 at 3:12 Quote
bigredride wrote:
jonbikes wrote:

I did a lot of research when I switched careers last year. I became a heavy equipment operator. Huge demand in BC. Most of it is seasonal though and this is not a 40 hour per week job. All summer I was doing 60 to 70 hours per week. Most companies want to get their projects completed before winter. The pay isn't too bad. A new operator out of training school just starting out would make between $24 to $28. The lead operators at the company I work for make $40.

Posted: Dec 21, 2015 at 19:34 Quote
I just got hired by a fire suppression company doing sprinkler fitting, it is still contract to contract so I have arrangements to flip flop between them and pipe fitting with another company. Should prove to be a solid set up for a while given the fact that I'm already in the shift work end of things. Sprinkler gig is all in town work and pipe fitting is all camp work.

Posted: Dec 22, 2015 at 15:18 Quote
Sprinkler fitting! dope as long as its all new construction, and now a days its usually all victaulic fittings too.

Posted: Dec 25, 2015 at 12:14 Quote
Mercedes-Benz Sales. If you're in WA, hit me up!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.086664
Mobile Version of Website