hairline crack

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
hairline crack
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 15, 2014 at 18:32 Quote
ive recently bought a mongoose boot'r 2010 frame on the top tube on the underside near the headtube area about 1.5cm away from the weld that meets the down tube and headtube but goes over the small weld that goes down the the bottom of my top tube ( also have a weld that goes down the top of top tube but thats conpletly fine ) appears to be a hairline crack or paint crack the guy i bought it from raced it for 2 years with it like this and it hasnt gotten anyworse would it just be a paint crack or does anyone know of anyways i can check ive scraped away the paint and it dosnt looked crack and my dads nows welding and he said its a funny place for one to be any thoughts?

Posted: Feb 15, 2014 at 19:39 Quote
Holy no punctuation...

Got any pictures of it? Kind of hard to diagnose a crack without seeing it. But sounds like you scraped away the paint and didn't see the crack continuing in the actual metal of the frame?

Posted: Feb 15, 2014 at 22:23 Quote
What you need is one of those flaw/crack highlighter sets . 3 stage sprays , one is a cleaner , the other penetrates the crack , the other highlights it.

Infact I have a a brand new . unused set if you are looking to buy one.

Posted: Feb 16, 2014 at 3:02 Quote
i scraped away the paint and there dosnt seem to be anything under it but still abit worryed about riding it

Posted: Feb 17, 2014 at 0:52 Quote
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flawtek-Weld-Crack-Flaw-Detection-Complete-3-Part-Kit-/301086705383?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item461a2a86e7

If you want to be sure order one of these kits.

Posted: Feb 17, 2014 at 14:11 Quote
Hi i recently bought a 2012 Kona operator frame and upon checking it over I found this, not sure if its a hairline crack or a scratch or paint crack etc

could only just about see it and when i used flash on my camera it popped up

Any help would be awesome
Thanks

hopefully not a crack

Posted: Feb 17, 2014 at 14:37 Quote
Konakonakona-Chameleon wrote:
Hi i recently bought a 2012 Kona operator frame and upon checking it over I found this, not sure if its a hairline crack or a scratch or paint crack etc

Thanks

hopefully not a crack

I'm not sure if thats a crack , all the cracks I have found on bikes don't make such a perfectly smooth line , it's allways tiny little zigzag shaped lines , not a flowing line like that.

But they do nearly allways run along the weld in the same area in relation the weld , the same area the the line in your photo, but it would be very unusual for it to crack on the head tube side of the weld , it's 99.9 percent of the time on the opposite side of the weld where you expect to see a head tube failure ( that is the head tube junction right ? )

And did you buy this from new or 2nd hand ?

Posted: Feb 17, 2014 at 14:52 Quote
bigburd wrote:

Thanks

hopefully not a crack

I'm not sure if thats a crack , all the cracks I have found on bikes don't make such a perfectly smooth line , it's allways tiny little zigzag shaped lines , not a flowing line like that.

But they do nearly allways run along the weld in the same area in relation the weld , the same area the the line in your photo, but it would be very unusual for it to crack on the head tube side of the weld , it's 99.9 percent of the time on the opposite side of the weld where you expect to see a head tube failure ( that is the head tube junction right ? )

Hi thanks for quick reply

I bought this 2nd hand but the seller accepts returns for 2 weeks so if it's a confirmed crack at least I can send it back

yeah its on the junction on the right hand side, hopefully I'm just being a bit pedantic about it all

Did take some finding and shows up like this only when I use flash

Posted: Feb 17, 2014 at 14:59 Quote
bigburd wrote:

Thanks

hopefully not a crack

I bought this 2nd hand but the seller accepts returns for 2 weeks so if it's a confirmed crack at least I can send it back

yeah its on the junction on the right hand side, hopefully I'm just being a bit pedantic about it all

From the pic it looks like a scratch or mark in the clear coat and no deeper , it looks very clean , can you feel any edge with your fingernail ?

Quite hard to say from a photo , or even in person , could you maybe get a few other angles ?

Posted: Feb 17, 2014 at 15:23 Quote
bigburd wrote:
bigburd wrote:

From the pic it looks like a scratch or mark in the clear coat and no deeper , it looks very clean , can you feel any edge with your fingernail ?

Quite hard to say from a photo , or even in person , could you maybe get a few other angles ?

On some parts i can feel a mark with my fingernail but not for most of it

photo

photo

photo

Posted: Feb 17, 2014 at 16:17 Quote
Now i'm a bit more concerned , in the 3rd picture there is another line but opposite the 1st one near the weld on the down tube side

And in the 1st picture there appears to be a deformation on the down tube highlighted by the light shining off it , can you see what I mean ?

Looks like it's hit some thing hard to me now.

Posted: Feb 17, 2014 at 16:58 Quote
bigburd wrote:
Now i'm a bit more concerned , in the 3rd picture there is another line but opposite the 1st one near the weld on the down tube side

And in the 1st picture there appears to be a deformation on the down tube highlighted by the light shining off it , can you see what I mean ?

Feeling it does have a very small dent looks like it's from forks not having bumpers on it

Had a feel of the other line and cant get my nail in it or anything

Posted: Feb 18, 2014 at 0:45 Quote
bigburd wrote:

Feeling it does have a very small dent looks like it's from forks not having bumpers on it

Can you see the line from the inside of the headtube ?

I would be getting my money back personally , your call but I think it's had big front end impact from these pictures.

Also I would post these pics in the mechanics quick question thread see some more opinions

Posted: Feb 18, 2014 at 1:16 Quote
bigburd wrote:
bigburd wrote:

Can you see the line from the inside of the headtube ?

I would be getting my money back personally , your call but I think it's had big front end impact from these pictures.

Also I would post these pics in the mechanics quick question thread see some more opinions

ok probably safe than sorry. Will check out that mechanics thread

Thanks again for your help with this, appreciate it Smile

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015908
Mobile Version of Website