hairline crack

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
hairline crack
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 20, 2014 at 5:49 Quote
Got to be honest and say diagnosing a crack successfully is exceptionally hard in person, let alone pictures. Scraping the paint away will help you, but potentially damages things unnecessarily, doing the old "tap test" and searching for a different sound is also useful in some cases though I doubt it would be here due to size & location. Your best bet for peace of mind is the aforementioned highlighting kits.

My personal 2 cents from what I can see is that does not appear to be a crack, purely on location and the smooth appearance, but don't take that as fact by any means!

The dent in the frame would be in the right location to be from triple clamps, is that what was fitted there? You should expect to find the same on the alternative side if that is the case, unless he was using just one rubber on one side for some reason. May be a warning sign in how well the bike was maintained if nothing else!

It's your call, from experience if there was ever any doubt I'd always veer towards side of caution with these kinds of matters.

Posted: Feb 20, 2014 at 12:28 Quote
There is only one way to successfully check frames for cracking. You have to find a shop that specializes in welding and have them check the frame out with an X-Ray machine. This will give details to the welds, the structure of the fame tubing, and all cracks 0.5mm and above in length, will be completely visible in the scans.

I have never done this myself, but with money, just about anything can be done.

FL
Posted: Mar 27, 2014 at 11:42 Quote
bigburd wrote:
Now i'm a bit more concerned , in the 3rd picture there is another line but opposite the 1st one near the weld on the down tube side

And in the 1st picture there appears to be a deformation on the down tube highlighted by the light shining off it , can you see what I mean ?

Looks like it's hit some thing hard to me now.

Try buffing it out with some polish

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010930
Mobile Version of Website