Buying a bike in US shipping to BC

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Buying a bike in US shipping to BC
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Feb 17, 2014 at 9:44 Quote
Hi
I am about to buy a bike Ibis HDR.
I need it to be shipped to Victoria BC.

Should I buy it in CA? or US? I heard about a tax in BC.

Any wise words?

Thanks

Posted: Feb 18, 2014 at 3:18 Quote
I'd buy it across borders and tell the border you brought it from Canada into the USA on the drive back.

When shipping stuff from outside of Canada, customs can peg you with a massive import fee. On top of that shipping fees are ridiculous.

Posted: Mar 26, 2014 at 17:49 Quote
If the bike is made in the states or mexico and the proper NAFTA paperwork is filed duty should be around 5%.
If the bike is made elsewhere (ie in Taiwan) and then distributed through the states it will be around 20%.
You will likely be charged applicable sales tax in BC which is 15% HST???
Also you will need to cover brokerage fees which are about $100 with UPS but significantly less with USPS.

Posted: Mar 26, 2014 at 20:07 Quote
Alrex wrote:
I'd buy it across borders and tell the border you brought it from Canada into the USA on the drive back.

When shipping stuff from outside of Canada, customs can peg you with a massive import fee. On top of that shipping fees are ridiculous.

you know that they check your credit card purchases made in US while away, thru their database access, right? hard to escape tax on major purchases

Posted: Mar 31, 2014 at 21:52 Quote
Also, if it is a 2014 model then it can be more tricky to proove it is 'used' in terms of duty etc. Ibis's are pretty non-descript and you can always buy it on your gf's credit card. There are lots of ways around it, but you would need to get it shipped to the american side and drive it across to have any hope... and if you are not Canadian or American it might not be worth it to risk getting in that much trouble with border services in terms of coming back again. They can actually straight up take it away from you I believe. Same risk as a Canadian/American it's just that we have more experience with loopholes and poker faces... and it would really impact your trip to not have a bike.

Posted: Apr 5, 2014 at 16:50 Quote
gnarbar wrote:
Alrex wrote:

you know that they check your credit card purchases made in US while away, thru their database access, right? hard to escape tax on major purchases
I never buy stuff with credit card

Cash is untraceable

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007701
Mobile Version of Website