The Saddle Thread (User reviews,swaps and more) Read 1st Post!

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
The Saddle Thread (User reviews,swaps and more) Read 1st Post!
Posted: Mar 5, 2015 at 11:15 Quote
OliOliOli wrote:
Right I know this isn't strictly reviewing a saddle but this thread came up and seems like you guys may know a thing or 2 about saddles Wink
I'm going on a long distance road trip on my Nukeproof BUT the railed saddle I have (Spank tweet tweet) gets really quite sore after 30 miles or so (I'm planning to 2400 soooo!) the thing is the pivotal seat on my Identiti (Amity Bmx) is surprisingly good at long distance rides, so do any of you know of a conversion system to put pivotal seats onto railed posts? I've had a little browse on that there t'interweb but can't seem to find anything I'm looking for Frown
Any info, tips or help will be much appreciated
Thanks Big Grin

I am afraid you can't convert it. Better you find alternative saddle for your long trip.

Posted: Mar 5, 2015 at 13:39 Quote
Its not worries, I've bitten the bullet and just gone and bought a new post for the pivotal seat so its all sorted now, cheers! I was just looking to save a few quid

Posted: May 11, 2015 at 5:09 Quote
hello everyone,
i too am looking and keeping an eye out for my perfect seat/saddle.
everyones butt is different, same same butt different Smile
to help anyone looking thru a bunch of reviews and forums,
i myself have an ARS so far seems to be the best i tried, but i admit over time i feel it.
and everyone seems to boast alot about wtb laser V, many have said it wider than the rest,
i ordered it, it feels ok but its pretty small compared to my ARS, i prefer a wide seat

anyone with the same preference as me ,
feel free to shoot me suggestions, i still got my eye out on a great seat

Posted: May 13, 2015 at 16:21 Quote
Recommend checking out specialized saddles as they offer a variety of widths. If you have a shop nearby that carries specialized they can do a quick fit to tell you what width you'll need. Most folks a riding saddles that are to narrow.

Posted: May 30, 2015 at 23:43 Quote
Guys, just started using a Specialized Power Saddle Expert; these things are the bomb. Pricey, but awesome. Doesn't look/feel comfy but it has a perfect amount of padding and flex once you get it sized right, and that inch-shorter tongue makes a huge difference when leaning in to climb. Would recommend.

Posted: Jul 13, 2015 at 0:54 Quote
photo
photo
http://revanchebike.com/2015/07/12/saddles/
Been recovering my saddles for several years now, just plain leather.
I thought I'd go a step further.

hope you like 'em

Posted: Jul 13, 2015 at 1:14 Quote
Saddles above are nice. Good work.

Just purchased a Fabric Scoop elite in 'flat', and in the black/black colour which also is the only colour to come with black steel rails, the others have silver rails.

I choose the 'flat' shape over the radius or shallow because I just thought it looked nicer with the cut away shape showing the rails.

Although its supposed to be more of a road bike saddle in the flat shape I didn't find it any more uncomfortable on my mtb, infact I actually prefer it to my old Charge Scoop radius.

It can be purchased for £37.99 if you look. It was purchased from Sigmasport.co.uk and the postage was free and sent by Royal Mail 48hr tracked.

Really pleased with how it looks and comfort wise its fine. I really like the way these saddles are made and they're nice and easy to keep clean. They also don't have horrible metal staples in the base which I hate to see on saddles.

Fabric Scoop elite black black flat.
Fabric Scoop elite black black flat.
photo

O+
Posted: Aug 6, 2015 at 17:34 Quote
I just got my Tioga Spider Outland seat today. I hope to put some miles on it soon before reporting back, but my inital impression is that despite being a harder seat, it feels more plush than my WTB Volt (2014 Kona Process 153). Lightweight too!

O+
Posted: Aug 21, 2015 at 13:06 Quote
Swapped a Chromag Trailmaster DT out for a Chromag Moon about a month's worth of riding ago. Huge improvement, I couldn't be more pleased.

The Moon is relatively heavy for an otherwise "minimal" saddle - it's very firm both in terms of flex and padding and is narrow and well-rounded. I was comparing to the WTB Devo Carbon which is noticeably lighter, but also shorter and less comfortable to my butt.

The moon is great for extended seated climbing as well as great for moving around on when dropped riding steep and technical trails. None of its corners hook clothing or body parts and it's a nice shape for locating and/or driving with the inner legs.

Cheers,
Cam

Posted: Sep 14, 2015 at 13:47 Quote
Just wondering what saddle shape would be better for a skinny rider (5 foot 6 and size 28 waist) who will spend most of the saddle time climbing and XC singletrack stuff.

photo
SDG Falcon

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.wigglestatic.com/product-media/5360092521/Duster%20Ti%20Alloy%20Fusion.jpg?w=2000&h=2000&a=7Or SDG Duster

Also the reason why I'm going with SDG is because of the cutout for your perineum canal. I find on my current saddle (cheap WTB Volt comp) my perineum artery or whatever it's called get's very numb on long climbs. Should the cutout prevent that or would it just be an uncomfortable trench? Thanks Salute

Posted: Sep 17, 2015 at 8:25 Quote
NotDannyHart wrote:
Relief channels are great, if you're running into issues with your perenium, that'll probably help. If you get a chance, if there's any Specialized shops nearby, swing by and sit on the ass-o-meter and find your ischial tuberosity width, and that'll give you an idea of what width saddle you ought to look for; I'm pretty skinny too, but I have a wider than average set of sit-bones, so I've gotta go for a fairly wide saddle.

O+
Posted: Sep 17, 2015 at 8:45 Quote
NotDannyHart wrote:
Just wondering what saddle shape would be better for a skinny rider (5 foot 6 and size 28 waist) who will spend most of the saddle time climbing and XC singletrack stuff.

photo
SDG Falcon

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.wigglestatic.com/product-media/5360092521/Duster%20Ti%20Alloy%20Fusion.jpg?w=2000&h=2000&a=7Or SDG Duster

Also the reason why I'm going with SDG is because of the cutout for your perineum canal. I find on my current saddle (cheap WTB Volt comp) my perineum artery or whatever it's called get's very numb on long climbs. Should the cutout prevent that or would it just be an uncomfortable trench? Thanks Salute
i'm similar build & was suffering from discomfort when using a italia flite ti. great for about 6 months then started getting pains on longer rides - cummulative affect so was getting worse over time. changed to sdg circuit ti, has channel & is fairly flat so many positions are comfortable. too some getting accustomed to because there really is a solid support to your sit bones with the minimal padding so was unsure initially if i had made a good choice. dont wear padded liner ever & more than happy to ride 4-5hrs.
the falcon looks well padded but if you move fore aft a lot then the duster would better suit.

Posted: Sep 25, 2015 at 15:55 Quote
I still have my SDG Bel Air,and it's comfortable for about 30 miles of trails and commute to the trails also,then gets a bit sore afterwards.
I don't know if it's just getting a bit older now with literally thousands of miles riding behind it(get it).
I think a Charge Spoon is on the cards,as they look good and are cheap as chips.Plenty of brilliant reviews as well.
Charge have really pulled it off with this saddle,even though I'm not too impressed with their bikes

Posted: Oct 4, 2015 at 13:23 Quote
http://www.cervelo.com/en/engineering/ask-the-engineers/the-four-and-a-half-rules-of-road-saddles-.html
FOr mtb saddles there are other considerations, such as the need to move behind your saddle. so it can't be much wider than necessary.
also the nose and tail need to be padded differently as you will hit your saddle with your arse or legs occasionaly.
The nose padding is useful, as you're going to be sitting on it on steep climbs.
padded sides are nice, as the saddle tears there in falls, or laying your bike down.
saddles are mostly produced by Velo, so a lot of the changes are really just cosmetic.
fizik and Selle Italia are tailored to smaller lighter riders I feel.
PAdding in shorts makes more difference than you think.
both need to work, padding and saddle shape/width.

do the sit bone measurement with some cardboard and make your own informed decision.

The two rules of saddles are.

You're the one who'll be sitting on it.
and you can't see it when you're using it.

Posted: Oct 27, 2015 at 2:39 Quote
I'm using a San Marco Dirty One now and it's actually really comfortable. It's branded as an "enduro" saddle but it's really thinly padded so it's more XC oriented. However it's more comfortable than my old WTB Volt even without wearing a padded liner and it's about twice as light lol However it can creak a bit if you land heavily on the back of it and I'm not too sure on how strong magnesium rails are...

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.022726
Mobile Version of Website