Ridding 3/4 times a week and not loosing fat ?

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Ridding 3/4 times a week and not loosing fat ?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 5, 2014 at 4:03 Quote
Been stuck at 11 half stone now for months rideing 3/4 times a week . I cover 24miles of hard going muddy xc on each ride . Been doing this for months now but still the fat won't shift . I lost allmost 4 half stone before this and my goal was to get to 11 stone but just can not seem to shift this last half ... I eat very well no beer no take outs .

Posted: Mar 5, 2014 at 6:11 Quote
superbikes wrote:
Been stuck at 11 half stone now for months rideing 3/4 times a week . I cover 24miles of hard going muddy xc on each ride . Been doing this for months now but still the fat won't shift . I lost allmost 4 half stone before this and my goal was to get to 11 stone but just can not seem to shift this last half ... I eat very well no beer no take outs .

Do some 'fasting', for two days a week only eat 500 calories, on those days your body will break down and use the fat, my Wife does it and as it's only two days per week she can stick to it.

Posted: Mar 5, 2014 at 11:43 Quote
danrack wrote:
superbikes wrote:

Do some 'fasting', for two days a week only eat 500 calories, on those days your body will break down and use the fat, my Wife does it and as it's only two days per week she can stick to it.
you really think regular fasting is healthy?

Your body will burn fat when you ride (for long enough at low intensity).

Posted: Mar 5, 2014 at 12:05 Quote
brianl wrote:
danrack wrote:
superbikes wrote:

I don't intend to be fasting . I don't think that's the way . I'm eating well

FL
Posted: Mar 5, 2014 at 12:44 Quote
Fasting is hard for most people to do, and its not always effective. It can cause huge swings in energy levels and depending on the length also hormone levels too. Many people go into a "starvation" state where their body retains fat and lowers resting metabolic rate (RMR) when they fast for exteneded periods. Another negative is that after fasting the tendency to engorge is there and most over eat. That coupled with the body's response to lower RMR and a couple days fasting may cause weight gain. So fasting is definitely not for every one. My opinion is to lower total caloric intake by rationing small portions through out the day. The closest you should come to fasting is the time period at night when you're sleeping.
@Brianl; Your body will utilize a higher percentage of fat for fuel, as opposed to carbohydrate(CHO), when you work out at lower intensity. But, it is more effective to do higher intensity exercise even though it burns a greater percentage CHO you will have a greater caloric expenditure, which means it will be easy to produce calorie deficit for the day/week/month and lead to weight loss. (i.e. if on a two hour ride you ride low intensity you may get 50% energy from fat but only burn calories. where as if you did the same 2 hour ride at higher intensity, perhaps only 15% energy comes from fat but you burn 700 calories.) The difference in calorie expenditure that causes fat lose later as long as you don't over eat. With weight loss through exercise it is more important to have a greater caloric deficit than to have a higher % fat for fuel if the total expenditure is less.

I would suggest getting several values for your basil metabolic rate or resting metabolic rate via an online calculator such as: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
However input your target weight not your current rate. find out how many calories you would need to consume to live at you target wieght and then consume that many calories. Be sure to also include how many calories you burn each day and replace them. Eating healthy foods that are satiating will be important As well as getting proper amount of sleep and staying hydrated. Talking to a nutritionist may be massively helpful as they will get into the nitty-gritty details and macro/micro intake and ratios, as well as expenditure.
Another thing that may help is adding resistance training. Which can help build lean body mass and increase metabolic rate. With that said you really should seek a trained and certified health/ fitness professional to get you on a safe and effective program specific to you.

Posted: Mar 6, 2014 at 4:58 Quote
When I suggested 'fasting' and eating 500 calories, its not technically fasting, which as everyone's pointed out, is generally not a good idea. Its just eating a lot less on a couple of days, which to be honest I often do at work when I'm too busy to eat. I tend to catch up the following day though. You don't suffer unnecessarily, your concrenration does not waver and you don't go weak at the knees. Man up for Fux sake.

Posted: Mar 7, 2014 at 12:21 Quote
I've had to battle weight gain in the past, and after not being able to do much, or pretty much no exercise for 5 months, I get to start the battle again. Use programs such as Mapmyride.com to figure out what your daily caloric intake should be. You can also log the foods you eat and track your calories. It also logs your exercise and keeps track of how many calories you have burned off. This is a great tool that I like to use to keep me on track. In my experience, you don't want to eat too few calories because your body will stop burning calories and start storing them instead. I know you say you eat well, but how well do you really eat? To start losing more weight start eating fat free and super low fat foods in smaller portions multiple times a day. Fruits in their natural form get processed by your body better than if it is altered in some way. One example is an apple. Its a fantastic food, but if you make apple sauce out of it, its no longer as good. If you eat too much at one sitting, you may feel full for a long time, but it will cause an insulin spike and your system will slow down. Plus, you get to eat another meal sooner so you can enjoy your tasty food again instead of in just 1 sitting. The human body is very smart, which can be problematic when trying to lose weight. When you hit a plateau, you need to trick your body to bust through that plateau. Keep the calories up but change the way you exercise in some way. Maybe do shorter rides but increase the intensity. Drink only water and plenty of it. it will help you feel full during the smaller meals and help your system process food better.

Posted: Mar 7, 2014 at 20:07 Quote
hit some hills... that'll burn that grissol off.

I've gone from 114.6kg to 104.5kg since getting into mtb-ing at start of November.

My goal is 102.5kg... wife's goal really ^^

won't let me ride new kona process 134 until I hit mark. tempted to jump in sauna & then weigh self.

Throwing in some more hills last couple days and tomorrow. Hopefully it helps with shrinking.

Posted: Mar 8, 2014 at 12:44 Quote
superbikes wrote:

It all comes down to diet. You can workout as much as you want but if you're not in a calorie deficit then you will not lose any weight. So if you are stuck at a certain weight then you are eating too much even if it is healthy foods. I suggest going to IIFYM.com and calculating your macro's so you're aware of how much protein, carbs, and fats you should be consuming a day to drop your weight based on your age, height, weight, and physical activity per week. Bodybuilding.com is also always a great resource to become more educated on proper nutrition for whatever goals you may have... and no do not fast. That is just setting yourself up for some metabolic damage and really unnecessary.

Posted: Mar 10, 2014 at 4:30 Quote
brianl wrote:
danrack wrote:
superbikes wrote:

Look at the research fasting is healthy WHEN DONE RIGHT. I would not suggest fasting for the OP though, fasting can be dangerous it needs to be monitored and administered with a professional.

OP make sure you are including resistance exercise in the routine, weights and resistance is crucial to weight loss.
If you dont do anything weights or resistance your body has no need to keep the muscle around. (ever notice how long distance runners and even cyclist are really skinny? That's because the body learns from the stimulus its given and with long riding your body wants to be efficient which means dropping weight where it can and it will use muscle to do this if it needs. So the goal when ever in a calorie deficit (ie losing weight) is to maintain muscle while dropping fat.

You maintain muscle by giving it a reason to stick around by training a certain way or with resistance exercise.

The importance of this
muscle has a direct effect on your metabolism, the more muscle you have the more calories your body will burn each day, when you do only long distance exercise you will loose some muscle mass. this slows down the metabolism. This is where people start thinking well ill drop my calories and add more exercise, this lowers muscle again and makes the metabolism slower. If this cycle is followed too long you eventually drop calories too low and the body goes into survival mode where it hold onto its weight because you are underfeeding and nourishing it.

Finally mix it up. The body adapts to what you give it and becomes more efficient so you need to change the pattern up a bit.

disclaimer.
I am not qualified in anyway and this information is from online research on my own into health and fitness, all information should be used at your own risk. Any new exercise or diet should only be undertaken with the guidance of a medical professional

Posted: Mar 10, 2014 at 8:35 Quote
slidways wrote:
brianl wrote:
danrack wrote:

Look at the research fasting is healthy WHEN DONE RIGHT.

OP make sure you are including resistance exercise in the routine, weights and resistance is crucial to weight loss.
If you dont do anything weights or resistance your body has no need to keep the muscle around. (ever notice how long distance runners and even cyclist are really skinny? That's because the body learns from the stimulus its given and with long riding your body wants to be efficient which means dropping weight where it can and it will use muscle to do this if it needs. So the goal when ever in a calorie deficit (ie losing weight) is to maintain muscle while dropping fat.

You maintain muscle by giving it a reason to stick around by training a certain way or with resistance exercise.

The importance of this
muscle has a direct effect on your metabolism, the more muscle you have the more calories your body will burn each day, when you do only long distance exercise you will loose some muscle mass. this slows down the metabolism. This is where people start thinking well ill drop my calories and add more exercise, this lowers muscle again and makes the metabolism slower. If this cycle is followed too long you eventually drop calories too low and the body goes into survival mode where it hold onto its weight because you are underfeeding and nourishing it.

Finally mix it up. The body adapts to what you give it and becomes more efficient so you need to change the pattern up a bit.

disclaimer.
I am not qualified in anyway and this information is from online research on my own into health and fitness, all information should be used at your own risk. Any new exercise or diet should only be undertaken with the guidance of a medical professional

I think for someone who is just trying to lose weight and maintain it that it would be good idea just to stay clear from any fasting like that until he becomes more informed about proper diet and exercise. But that being said I train for fitness competitions and do a lot of intermittent fasting before my morning cardio. Doing a low intensity cardio in the mornings prior to eating breakfast is supposed to promote fat loss more effectively. But I also make sure I'm taking my bcaa's and glutamine and eating immediately afterwards to maintain my muscle and not risk catabolic damage. Taking your amino acids is crucial for maintaining muscle while trying to cut fat. Also what he said above. Lift weights and lift heavy and do low intensity fat burning cardio or interval training after your weights as the combination will help your weight loss drastically along with proper diet. And once you hit your goal weight then pick your calories up to your maintenance level because it's not healthy to be in a deficit for too long. I would recommend having a refeed Day once a week as well. Seriously look to bodybuilding.com And read the nutrition sticky. It's always good to be informed.

Posted: Mar 10, 2014 at 20:26 Quote
bcfong wrote:

I think for someone who is just trying to lose weight and maintain it that it would be good idea just to stay clear from any fasting like that until he becomes more informed about proper diet and exercise. But that being said I train for fitness competitions and do a lot of intermittent fasting before my morning cardio. Doing a low intensity cardio in the mornings prior to eating breakfast is supposed to promote fat loss more effectively. But I also make sure I'm taking my bcaa's and glutamine and eating immediately afterwards to maintain my muscle and not risk catabolic damage. Taking your amino acids is crucial for maintaining muscle while trying to cut fat. Also what he said above. Lift weights and lift heavy and do low intensity fat burning cardio or interval training after your weights as the combination will help your weight loss drastically along with proper diet. And once you hit your goal weight then pick your calories up to your maintenance level because it's not healthy to be in a deficit for too long. I would recommend having a refeed Day once a week as well. Seriously look to bodybuilding.com And read the nutrition sticky. It's always good to be informed.

yep I agree.
I would not suggest fasting for something trying to lose weight. Fasting has a range of benefits but i think using it to loose weight is not ideal it is also a dangerous message for people to just think "ills top eating' that's not really a safe method of loosing weight. People who are knowledgeable enough to use it and need to for things like fitness competitions and fighting weigh ins or people who are just well informed to use it for cutting that's fair, but I dont suggest people jump onto it without proper knowledge, its also fairly drastic to the body and may be dangerous so fasting really should be given the all clear by a doctor first to say its fine for you to do it.

I agree jump on over to BB.com, the community can be pretty stupid at times, lots of people who just talk BS but the sticky threads are a great source of information.

As always this is just my personal opinion not a professional one, make decisions at your own risk. Seek professional medical advice before under going any change to diet or exercise.

Posted: Aug 11, 2015 at 2:33 Quote
Follow the Paleolithic diet. Don't cheat. Continue riding. You will lose fat and gain muscle. I've been doing it for 3 yrs now. Best thing I ever did for my health and fitness.

Posted: Aug 11, 2015 at 3:30 Quote
Limbic wrote:
Follow the Paleolithic diet. Don't cheat. Continue riding. You will lose fat and gain muscle. I've been doing it for 3 yrs now. Best thing I ever did for my health and fitness.

i went the Ketosis diet at the start of the year..lost 12kg's there a bout's(not much exercise really just eating habits) once i reach my target(88kg) i will go Paleo!

Posted: Aug 16, 2015 at 15:06 Quote
I am nationally recognized in the field of food and nutrition. If you want some information feel free to PM me. I usually can't get all of my thoughts and information together on a post.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014590
Mobile Version of Website