Is it worth upgrsding to a chris king head set?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Is it worth upgrsding to a chris king head set?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 at 7:38 Quote
right now i have a TH w/Big Nut is it worth upgrading?

O+
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 at 8:48 Quote
konarider6666 wrote:
right now i have a TH w/Big Nut is it worth upgrading?

Unless there is a fit issue with your current headset and the head tube...I ould say no.

Posted: Jan 10, 2008 at 11:02 Quote
when Chris King says it's the last headset you will ever buy, they mean it.

Paying the full price of like $250 would be retarded, but if you can find a cheap one, i would go for it.

I am buying 1 in a few days actually.

Posted: Jan 10, 2008 at 11:26 Quote
They're cheap online. $120ish is a pretty common sight.
They're awesome headsets, however I've heard the Sunline one's are just as good, if not better.
And they're cheaper.
They just don't come in all the sweet colors.

Posted: Jan 10, 2008 at 11:47 Quote
I say yes,
if you get them for cheap.
Like the one I just gave away.

Posted: Jan 10, 2008 at 15:02 Quote
I have one on my rig. I had allot of problems with it at first...but then found out it was the star nut in my steering tube giving me all the headaches. I dont remember the last time I had to clean it or have it pressed in again. If you're willing to add a touch of bling and fair quality to your bike, I'de say it isnt exactly wasted money.

Posted: Jan 10, 2008 at 15:08 Quote
They only cost around $120 in the states, but I'd say no. WTB makes really good headsets that last just as long, for a fraction on the price (I got mine for $35, but I don't pay retail). Crank Bros. new headset might be worth waiting to get too.

Posted: Jan 10, 2008 at 17:08 Quote
Cane creek 110? 110 year warranty and WAY cheaper retail then the king something like 145$?

Posted: Jan 10, 2008 at 17:17 Quote
I have to take this opportunity to bitch about Chris King. I will NEVER buy one of their products again.

I bought a gold nothreadset in late November, and was measuring it in comparison to my frame, and noticed the frame was about .002 oversize on the top, but the bottom was a perfect press fit. SO since Kings website states "oversize cups available" I felt fine about this, and went to the LBS to have them get one in in gold, as CK does not deal with end-users directly. So first it was, "Yes, it'll be there in 2 weeks", after those 2 went by, it was "We pushed back production, not itll be 6 more weeks." Whatever, its snowy and I need brakes anyway, so I pressed in an aheadset top cup I had laying around just to hold the fork on correctly.

Now, those 8 weeks have passed, and guess what? ANOTHER call from CK saying " Oh, its gonna be another 8 weeks" because they pushed back production on gold ones again!(they made silver and black ones)

Is it just me, or is this ridiculous? It clearly states on their site, that the cups are AVAILABLE, not "made sometime next year, when we get around to it." I run a heat treating shop, and deal with GREAT machinists every day, if I wanted a custom made headset I WOULD HAVE HAD SOMEONE DO IT!

Thank you for reading my rant, and do pm me with advice.

Posted: Jan 10, 2008 at 17:22 Quote
Hummeroid wrote:
I have to take this opportunity to bitch about Chris King. I will NEVER buy one of their products again.

I bought a gold nothreadset in late November, and was measuring it in comparison to my frame, and noticed the frame was about .002 oversize on the top, but the bottom was a perfect press fit. SO since Kings website states "oversize cups available" I felt fine about this, and went to the LBS to have them get one in in gold, as CK does not deal with end-users directly. So first it was, "Yes, it'll be there in 2 weeks", after those 2 went by, it was "We pushed back production, not itll be 6 more weeks." Whatever, its snowy and I need brakes anyway, so I pressed in an aheadset top cup I had laying around just to hold the fork on correctly.

Now, those 8 weeks have passed, and guess what? ANOTHER call from CK saying " Oh, its gonna be another 8 weeks" because they pushed back production on gold ones again!(they made silver and black ones)

Is it just me, or is this ridiculous? It clearly states on their site, that the cups are AVAILABLE, not "made sometime next year, when we get around to it." I run a heat treating shop, and deal with GREAT machinists every day, if I wanted a custom made headset I WOULD HAVE HAD SOMEONE DO IT!

Thank you for reading my rant, and do pm me with advice.
the products are dyrable as hell Razz but the service can suck [/endthread]

O+
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 at 17:31 Quote
hm, just gonna through this out their, my friend had a chris king and it busted(intense m3 is his bike) then i saw another dude with the same bike as him an it was also creaky and loose. i run an fsa pig pro dh. they are a tad heavier but they get the job done. they are extremly strong and you can get one off ebay for around 30$$

Posted: Jan 10, 2008 at 17:33 Quote
-eric- wrote:
hm, just gonna through this out their, my friend had a chris king and it busted(intense m3 is his bike) then i saw another dude with the same bike as him an it was also creaky and loose. i run an fsa pig pro dh. they are a tad heavier but they get the job done. they are extremly strong and you can get one off ebay for around 30$$

I ran the pig dh for a year and have absolutely no complaints. Its still buttery smooth, and silent.

Posted: Jan 10, 2008 at 17:37 Quote
btw, the creaking can be solved with correct installation. CK cups run small as compared to the other headsets. Small, but very consistent.

Posted: Jan 10, 2008 at 17:39 Quote
windsorbighitrider wrote:
-eric- wrote:

I ran the pig dh for a year and have absolutely no complaints. Its still buttery smooth, and silent.
I ride one on my dj bike Big Grin

Posted: Jan 10, 2008 at 17:41 Quote
ride24bikes wrote:
windsorbighitrider wrote:
-eric- wrote:

I ride one on my dj bike Big Grin

I've ridden a pig on three bikes, and yet to complain about them.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.144606
Mobile Version of Website