Is it worth upgrsding to a chris king head set?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Is it worth upgrsding to a chris king head set?
Posted: Feb 6, 2008 at 16:36 Quote
ezekiel82 wrote:
Hummeroid wrote:
120 is going rate for the 1 1/8 nothreadset.

This is another classic case of the Canadians getting screwed on imported items. Every King headset I've ever seen was close to $200.

Ouch!!!

Posted: Feb 6, 2008 at 16:45 Quote
the rasta one goes to world bicycle relief

Posted: Feb 6, 2008 at 16:45 Quote
or some other african charity, i forget

Posted: Feb 6, 2008 at 18:01 Quote
neilv wrote:
They are probably the worst headset i have ever used. just got mine. yes it was used but it still felt like crap. i just rebuilt it and it didnt feel much better. its just like a normal headset. cheep regular looseball bearings!! with plastic cages and a little rubber seal. for $200-300!! what are you people on?? my Cane creek S8 cost my $50 and is a sealed cartrage needle bearing. much better and cheeper. ok they have cool colours but its not even close to worth the money. its got a good warrenty but id rather buy a piece of crap and run a $10 headset!

i have a feeling you got screwed with that, kings are known for being one of the first sealed cartridge bearing headsets, so it would seem if yours has loose ball bearings, some one switched the bearings out... unless you are referring to the cartridge bearings as just caged bearings with a seal on the end, which is not really true of any cartridge bearing, much less a king, they are all made in house and are some of, if not the, best bearings money can buy... plus king headsets last for ever, my boss has several that are over 10 years old, and he has one of the first king front hubs (before disc brakes) that still rolls as smooth as new, after 15 years... none of these have had bearings replaced, and all of these have been ridden hard by a big guy 250lb+

Posted: Dec 7, 2008 at 21:34 Quote
king headsets are definately high quality.. but worth the money? only to the people willing to pay it I am not I have only had about 6 headsets in my life and no deadsets..
so what if I have to regrease my pig once every 2 years?

bottom line:
chris king and hope definately get the job done and add resale value..
but the truth is a headset sealed or unsealed will outlast all other parts on the bike if properly installed/maintained

Posted: Dec 7, 2008 at 21:48 Quote
sartana wrote:
king headsets are definately high quality.. but worth the money? only to the people willing to pay it I am not I have only had about 6 headsets in my life and no deadsets..

bottom line:
but the truth is a headset sealed or unsealed will outlast all other parts on the bike if properly installed/maintained

do u not realize how old this forum post is???? its like going on a year old man lol

Posted: Dec 8, 2008 at 19:36 Quote
summit800 wrote:
sartana wrote:

bottom line:

do u not realize how old this forum post is???? its like going on a year old man lol
so??? is it against the rules??

Posted: Dec 8, 2008 at 19:42 Quote
sartana wrote:
summit800 wrote:
sartana wrote:

bottom line:

No. Keep doing it, theres a reason for search. Tell me next time someone gives you crap for it.

Posted: Dec 8, 2008 at 19:49 Quote
thanx man i was just bored i have little knowledge but the things i know for sure i will tell people

Posted: Dec 8, 2008 at 19:53 Quote
Hummeroid wrote:
sartana wrote:
summit800 wrote:

No. Keep doing it, theres a reason for search. Tell me next time someone gives you crap for it.

i'm just saying the forum is pretty dead. i'm glad he hasn't made a new post cause then that's just a waste of time. but theirs no point in putting your feedback mainly because everything he has said has already been said. wich is pretty much why the forum is dead.

Posted: Dec 8, 2008 at 19:55 Quote
this seemed like an faq to me i just didnt realize there were 8 pages on the subject already =]

Posted: Dec 8, 2008 at 19:57 Quote
sartana wrote:
this seemed like an faq to me i just didnt realize there were 8 pages on the subject already =]

its all good man. i once did the same deal then realised i was wasting alot of time. but what ever if it makes u feel good to get your 2 cents out their then go for it.

Posted: Dec 8, 2008 at 20:08 Quote
I was still subscribed, I read what you guys posted. Don't matter to me! P.S. you should ask hummeroid what he thinks about chris king headsets! Razz

Posted: Dec 8, 2008 at 20:11 Quote
willbikeforbeer wrote:
I was still subscribed, I read what you guys posted. Don't matter to me! P.S. you should ask hummeroid what he thinks about chris king headsets! Razz

oh i know something about ordering oversize cups...

Posted: Dec 8, 2008 at 20:16 Quote
sartana wrote:
willbikeforbeer wrote:

oh i know something about ordering oversize cups...
And they cut steerers.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.028105
Mobile Version of Website