X Fusion Metric

O+
Posted: Jul 3, 2014 at 5:41 Quote
The Vengeance is being phased out. I think this is the last year. I had an opportunity to be the first guy in western Canada to get a Metric so I jumped on it. While the chassis of the Vengeance is stiff, the Metric is DH-fork stiff and I like that. Nothing on the market compares to its torsional and fore & aft rigidity.

The Metric is like a pumped up version of the Vengeance anyway, but just in a better overall package. The Metric dwarfs the Vengeance, but its not so big that its awkward. I use mine for XC-type rides and it definitely doesn't hold me back.

Either way you'll be happy, but if you can, the Metric is the fork to have.

Posted: Aug 19, 2014 at 13:39 Quote
Can you guys help me out setting my new metric up? I'm coming from a POS Fox Talas CTD so I don't know of a good starting point for my high and low speed compression. Air pressure and rebound recommendations are also welcome.

To keep things simple, please describe clicks as in or out rather than left or right. I don't even know which is the high, and which the low, so please initially describe those by color hah.

Lastly, a bit about me and my riding to aid in the discussion:

I weigh 220 geared up and ride at n*, loose, dry, and rocky.

Thanks!

O+
Posted: Sep 1, 2014 at 18:22 Quote
Anyone find the pressure recommendations a bit high? I weigh around 190 at the moment and using just under 50 psi for proper sag. I have high and low compression all the way off. Maybe the recommended settings are for doing rampage sized hucks.

O+
Posted: Sep 1, 2014 at 19:07 Quote
loamydog wrote:
Can you guys help me out setting my new metric up? I'm coming from a POS Fox Talas CTD so I don't know of a good starting point for my high and low speed compression. Air pressure and rebound recommendations are also welcome.

To keep things simple, please describe clicks as in or out rather than left or right. I don't even know which is the high, and which the low, so please initially describe those by color hah.

Lastly, a bit about me and my riding to aid in the discussion:

I weigh 220 geared up and ride at n*, loose, dry, and rocky.

Thanks!

All I adjusted on mine out of the box other than air pressure was rebound. I have rebound set 10 clicks off of the fastest setting. Low and high compression all they way off for a super plush feeling fork.

Posted: Sep 2, 2014 at 10:19 Quote
All I adjusted on mine out of the box other than air pressure was rebound. I have rebound set 10 clicks off of the fastest setting. Low and high compression all they way off for a super plush feeling fork.[/Quote]

Thanks for the reply, mine was actually purchased used though so I started from scratch.

However, I have just started taking notes and it seems to be super helpful.

@kitejumping, I definitely found the recommendations way too high. The dude from the Vital review said he ran 30 PSI under recommended I think. His riding style and weight sounded similar to mine, so I went with 55 PSI (instead of recommended 85) and it wasn't enough. Had too much reliance on compression to keep fork sufficiently high in travel, which made landings harsh and handling finicky. Trying the following settings this Friday:

73 PSI
11 clicks clockwise for high speed
4 clicks clockwise for low speed
4 clicks slow for rebound

I'll let you know how it goes.

Posted: Sep 2, 2014 at 10:52 Quote
Yh right bring bk 20mm axle SC's as standard!

Am well impressed with the stiffness of my XF velvets and feel.

The metrics look the dogs!
Nice one!
Sound like my old vanillas or idylle sc's where they are super supple but progressive through the compression stroke so are super inspiring.

Posted: Sep 2, 2014 at 11:02 Quote
where to buy a Metric online in Europe? Looks like not a single shop have it in stock

Posted: Sep 2, 2014 at 20:06 Quote
I run about 10psi less than recommended, H and L all the way off. For the real gnarly tech tracks, I'll give the H and L 4 or 5 turns in. This is an awesome fork, and gets even plusher after the break in.

I'm thinking this is the best fork I've run, and there have been at least 12 of them over the years including a bunch of triples. Talus, and Boxxer were money in the toilet. 40's are good but super expensive to maintain properly. The old black 888 (2006 I think) is a solid contender for best fork ever, I ran mine for 2 full seasons at the Whis bike park without an oil change, insane reliability.

O+
Posted: Sep 3, 2014 at 7:20 Quote
Yeah I agree, this fork is better than any others I've ever ridden so far including the new fox 36. I think the closest single crown I've been on was a 170mm coil lyric or maybe a new pike.

Posted: Sep 3, 2014 at 7:23 Quote
I am running 30 psi less than recommended (in 160mm setting)to get proper sag and all the travel. Two clicks of rebound and high and low speed compression all the way off. The fork works very well in all conditions. Stiff and responsive and I am totally happy with it's performance in the 2 months I have had it.

O+
Posted: Sep 3, 2014 at 7:47 Quote
I'm running it at about 75psi at ~180lbs, lots of rebound damping, little to no compression damping, 5wt oil. I also set it at 163mm travel. I'm a ride over the front kind of guy too, so I mash the fork into things if need be.

Posted: Sep 7, 2014 at 14:51 Quote
[/Quote]
73 PSI
11 clicks clockwise for high speed
4 clicks clockwise for low speed
4 clicks slow for rebound

I'll let you know how it goes.[/Quote]

This was a pretty harsh setup. Felt like riding with a lockout on over small chatter. On the plus side, charging through rock gardens at 20+ mph was awesomely controlled. Landings from tables and drops were better than low pressure and more compression damping, but it was still hard to get full travel and soak things up nicely.

Going to try full open for the HSC and LSC with fast rebound next time at 10 PSI less than recommended.

I can feel the potential just oozing out of this thing and can't wait to get it dialed in.

Posted: Oct 26, 2014 at 14:27 Quote
Does anybody know where you can buy one of these online? I've looked but my search results were really strange.

O+
Posted: Oct 26, 2014 at 16:57 Quote
Try Renegade Cycle Solutions (Canadian Distributor). He will sell direct if you can't get the product through a local shop. Awesome guy too! http://www.r-c-s.ca/

Based on the Aussie and Canadian dollars being pretty much on par with each other, pricing should be reasonable.

BTW, you will love the fork. I'm always shocked at how good it is whenever I come back from a ride.

Posted: Oct 26, 2014 at 18:24 Quote
WayneParsons wrote:
Try Renegade Cycle Solutions (Canadian Distributor). He will sell direct if you can't get the product through a local shop. Awesome guy too! http://www.r-c-s.ca/

Based on the Aussie and Canadian dollars being pretty much on par with each other, pricing should be reasonable.

BTW, you will love the fork. I'm always shocked at how good it is whenever I come back from a ride.

Thanks. I'll give it a try. Its a shame that the Nz dollar is a bit lower than both of them.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.021655
Mobile Version of Website