Fox fork scratches

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Fox fork scratches
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 14, 2014 at 12:05 Quote
Hello,I'm new here and I would like to ask one question.How can I fix my Fox 32 F100RL, 100mm travel fork.The problem is oil is leaking and there are scratches on the upper crown.Scratches are deeper than in this photo: Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://media.thehubsa.co.za/forum/uploads/monthly_02_2011/post-7306-0-80644200-1298612457.jpg

O+
Posted: Mar 14, 2014 at 17:09 Quote
I'm afraid that's pretty serious. Those types of scratches are typically caused because the bushings ran dry, usually due to a lack of maintenance. You will need to have the uppers replaced. Some LBSs can help you or you might have to send it to Fox. Where do you live?

Posted: Mar 14, 2014 at 23:45 Quote
I agree that's pretty bad.

You need new stantions and need to do some fork services once In a while.
I recently learned how to service my boxxer it takes under 1/2 hr and dirt cheep for oil ~$8
First time took me about 45 min including seal replacement.
Learn how to do it yourself save $$$ keep your fork buttery smooth and avoid problems like you have now

Posted: Mar 23, 2014 at 13:19 Quote
What if I minimize travel of the fork would it help?From 100mm to 80mm.

Posted: Mar 23, 2014 at 13:43 Quote
Just cause you can't see it doesn't make the problem go away...

Posted: Mar 27, 2014 at 8:17 Quote
PauliusB wrote:
What if I minimize travel of the fork would it help?From 100mm to 80mm.

It would likely happen again at the new height setting.

Posted: Mar 27, 2014 at 14:28 Quote
Yikes. Honestly, that thing is toast. If you're comfortable working on it yourself then try to track down some new/used but good condition stanchions to replace those and inspect everything else to make sure it's ok. If you aren't comfortable working on it yourself... I'd scrap it and try to find a good deal on a used fork that's in good condition. If you're paying someone to fix that it's going to end up costing more than it's worth.

Posted: Mar 27, 2014 at 16:29 Quote
Enduro seals are far not the last reason of these scratches. But the main one is the lack of service. I advise you to change your uppers, coz further exploitation can cause bushing damage. So in the end, when fork fails, besides uppers, it will cost you some additional bucks for bushes to repair it

Posted: Mar 27, 2014 at 21:23 Quote
I would have to disagree, enduro seals are the problem imo. They are too tight and don't allow oil to thinly coat the stantions. Get rid of those enduro seals asap.

O+
Posted: Mar 27, 2014 at 21:46 Quote
Idoeverything wrote:
I would have to disagree, enduro seals are the problem imo. They are too tight and don't allow oil to thinly coat the stantions. Get rid of those enduro seals asap.

That's pretty ridiculous ... the seals didn't do that! That's clearly bushing wear from a lack of service. I've seen it a million times.

Posted: Mar 27, 2014 at 22:32 Quote
Idoeverything wrote:
I said the same) but maybe I've build the sentense wrong

DoubleDog wrote:
That's pretty ridiculous ... the seals didn't do that! That's clearly bushing wear from a lack of service. I've seen it a million times.
Unfortunately that seals do that. They have huge parasite friction due to big surface. All the dust collects under the seal and works as abrasive material. I've seen it many times. Also I've seen lots of RS and manitou forks with worn coating because of these seals.

Posted: Mar 28, 2014 at 0:58 Quote
If you don't know anything about the damage probably best to say nothing. The scratches would be from the seals to the top of the stanchions if they were caused by the seals, this is clearly not the case here due to the position, most of the scratches will actually be well below the seals, extending down another 4cm or so.

Posted: Mar 28, 2014 at 2:24 Quote
sq225917 wrote:
If you don't know anything about the damage probably best to say nothing. The scratches would be from the seals to the top of the stanchions if they were caused by the seals
so you say that fork works at 100% of it's travel at every bump? this is the only way to get scratches from seals to top of the stanchion.
how many forks have you serviced and what experience as a mechanic do you have? correlation between enduro seals using an scratches like at TS photo is proved long time ago. and it is not my personal opinion. I din't they they ARE the reason, but they are definitely not the last one

Posted: Mar 28, 2014 at 5:50 Quote
No, they don't work at 100% of their travel all the time, but those scratches barely even cover the fork sag. How many pairs of forks have I serviced, oh I don't know maybe a thousand, I used to wrench for Kawasaki.

What you are looking at in that picture is from the bushings, if he strips the forks the scratches will continue down for another 40-50mm.

Posted: Mar 28, 2014 at 11:29 Quote
sq225917 wrote:
No, they don't work at 100% of their travel all the time, but those scratches barely even cover the fork sag. How many pairs of forks have I serviced, oh I don't know maybe a thousand, I used to wrench for Kawasaki.

What you are looking at in that picture is from the bushings, if he strips the forks the scratches will continue down for another 40-50mm.

+1. You see the vertical lines where the stanchion is ok? Yeah, funnily enough they're where the slots in the bushings are.

The fork seals might have contributed to wear, as they let more dirt in/oil out but the real problem is running the bushings dry.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020913
Mobile Version of Website