Narrow wide chain ring

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Narrow wide chain ring
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 15, 2014 at 9:23 Quote
can i use a narrow wide chain ring with my 9 speed cassette and non clutched rear mech ?

Posted: Mar 15, 2014 at 10:00 Quote
You can use it no problem, but without a clutch rear derailleur, you might not have enough chain tension to keep the chain from coming off (without a chain guide). Maybe someone that's tried that setup can weigh in, but I don't think I've seen anyone running a nw ring without a clutch derailleur.

Posted: Mar 15, 2014 at 10:31 Quote
Ok thanks will have to look at getting a new rear mech .

O+
Posted: Mar 16, 2014 at 12:58 Quote
Even with a clutch they aren't fool proof. I've seen quite a few derail, causing crashes.

I think a NW and clutch is greatly supplemented by a top guide (particularly if you aren't running a bash)

Posted: Mar 18, 2014 at 16:09 Quote
My mates got a 9 Speed no clutch mech and he keeps dropping his chain on the ruff stuff, has to have his chain tighter than it should to keep it on. I have a 10 speed clutch and it's not much better. Quieter but still drops. Personally I will not waste money on a nw again as there twice the price as normal rings and don't guarantee to cure the problem. chain device does, I'm sticking mine back on

Posted: Mar 19, 2014 at 3:39 Quote
I'll just put my two pence worth in. I run this:
Giant Faith 2011
E13 N/W 36 ring
Straitline bash ring
Zee mech (full 10 spd)
Running 25% sag.

Haven't dropped the chain once. Ridden big drops, jumps and some gnarley chatter. The bikes geometry and suspension type play a big part. Some get away with no Clutch mech with their n/w and others still drop chains with one.

Posted: Mar 19, 2014 at 4:13 Quote
Thanks for the input guys . I will prob just keep with my chain device then and save some cash Smile

Posted: Mar 19, 2014 at 5:04 Quote
Had the RACEFACE NW ring and it was great didn't drop one chain . But then after 6 weeks use started droping chain ..one I crashed due to this . Seems I worn out the ring booooo . I've now got a WORKS NW ring on 4 weeks in and not one dropped chain and it seems not to be wearing as fast as RACEFACE ring did . RACEFACE ring I think is crap due to useing crap alloy to keep cost down in the end the buyers suffer ....never buying that ring again syt

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009022
Mobile Version of Website