1998 FSR Elite "Max Backbone" -Rebuild-

PB Forum :: Vintage and Fixed Gear Bikes
1998 FSR Elite "Max Backbone" -Rebuild-
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 20, 2014 at 21:34 Quote
**Edited 7/2/2017 to fix the missing pics.**
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stock bike, pic from seller.
photo
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tore down to the frame, except the crank so far.
photo

photo

photo

photo

photo
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bought a 2001 Enduro frame to steal the linkage and disc brake seatstay with cartridge bearings at all the pivot points.
Pic from the seller.
photo

Test fitting the disc seatstay then linkage.
photo

photo

photo

photo

photo
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Suspension done, rear wheel travel 130mm, front travel 110-150mm.
photo

Fox Vanilla R, 6.75 x 1.75".
photo

photo

RockShox Sektor 150mm dual position coil (converted to U-turn coil).
photo

photo

photo

Some random close up pics.
photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

BETD needle bearing main pivot bearing (swingarm).
photo

photo

Posted: Mar 20, 2014 at 21:43 Quote
Finished for now.Smile **Edited to replace photos on 7/2/2017**
photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

Posted: Mar 20, 2014 at 23:50 Quote
Nicely done! Looks great!

Posted: Mar 27, 2014 at 22:43 Quote
I appreciate it man!! Can't wait to do some real trail riding with it!

Posted: Mar 28, 2014 at 8:50 Quote
i dont usually like modern builds on 90's frames, it just seems pointless somehow... but i must say, that is absolutely stunning!!! :Cool :

you might wanna hack that steerer tube down a bit though Wink

Posted: Mar 28, 2014 at 23:01 Quote
Thanks Sean, I have another FSR Ground Control that is pretty much period correct.
I got a little overly cautious with the steerer tube, but it will be cut down soon. Thanks again!

Posted: Mar 29, 2014 at 4:12 Quote
CrowMan741 wrote:
Thanks Sean, I have another FSR Ground Control that is pretty much period correct.
I got a little overly cautious with the steerer tube, but it will be cut down soon. Thanks again!

Its in such tidy condition as well. I did have an original fsr five years ago. Was a nice looking bike but not as neat as yours

photo

Sean

Posted: Mar 29, 2014 at 11:57 Quote
FSR Expert, sweet! That was a good looking bike.

In '99 (I have a spare '99 FSR Sport frame) they started using those big stickers on the frames, I much preferred the
clear coated graphics of the '98's.

Posted: Mar 31, 2014 at 18:11 Quote
Looks great. I just got a 99 FSR comp. How similar was that to the Elite? This is my first bike :Cool :

Posted: Apr 1, 2014 at 15:05 Quote
Crashley47 wrote:
Looks great. I just got a 99 FSR comp. How similar was that to the Elite? This is my first bike :Cool :

Hey, different frame construction and geometry than the Elite, the '99 FSR Comp has the same frame as the blue bike
posted above with different components.
I've owned a '98 FSR Ground Control since 1998 when I bought one new, it also has the same type frame as your Comp.
Of course, in my opinion these are great full squish bikes, fully active 4-bar rear suspension and handle great!

Congrats on yours, and I hope you have as much fun with it as I do mine! Smile

Posted: Apr 27, 2014 at 18:24 Quote
A few cell phone pics from one of the local mountain bike trails.
photo

photo

photo

Posted: Aug 24, 2015 at 15:10 Quote
Funny I was going through some research and found the picture of the specialized enduro the blue one ,you got it from ebay I sold to you. Smile

Posted: Aug 26, 2015 at 6:09 Quote
Any updates? Love this bike it looks awesome Smile

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.082395
Mobile Version of Website