HOPE Pro 2 EVO 40T

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
HOPE Pro 2 EVO 40T
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 26, 2014 at 16:56 Quote
I don't know what to think about this - I have an absolute douche of a Tech at HOPE in TX playing politics it seems and not addressing a major issue with this brand-new version of the Pro 2. There is bad bearing slob/play/wobble easily made present with just a hand on top the full wheel for the rear hub. Front Hub is dead nuts solid.

I told the Tech there's a Freehub wobble when uninstalled, then installed the entire hub, both sides of the hub can be made to wobble - about the same severity. It would so easily interfere with the brake system.

Dude wants pictures - this guy wants pictures of all sorts of things and after stopping and telling him I will ship the wheel with return label included for him, dude goes and makes a protest that 'what if I can't get it to do it???' Basically -- refused to accept his companies own product. Did first offer to send two freehub bearings - which may cost $5.57 for HOPE but full retail is easily one way shipping.

W
T
F

I bought these hubs after all I could see and read were positive reviews, and I totally regret giving the business.
Honestly I will say I do not feel happy about buying these (from CRC who were great BTW) but I cringe at the thought of setting the bike down on the ground and riding down the driveway, let alone at Highland or my wicked commutes to work.

There's no way this is how all HOPE Hubs build up right??? It's just impossible.

Posted: Mar 27, 2014 at 8:08 Quote
There's always a little play on the freehub, a really small amount though, not so you'd notice without a cassette on and the hub in a frame. There should be no play on the hub though, that said my Maxle was a little loose earlier this week and mine wobbled as a result until i tightened it. Clean your dropout, tighten the QR/AXLE/bolts or or whatever then if it moves it's the main bearings.

The simple way to fix this is to replace them, hence his suggestion and offer of bearings. Of course if you don't want o work on the hub then sending the wheel in seems fair.

Video it and show us how bad it is.

Posted: Mar 27, 2014 at 14:26 Quote
The only problem is the Hub itself, it has a 12mm thru-bolt for an axle and my backup and my main Axle both have the same effect.

My biggest concern and what I asked outright of Technical Support was why it is this is even present. The dawdling responses and lack of relating to me as a supporter of their brand irritated me to no end.

Truth be told there could be a number of reasons, out of tolerance bearing race in the Hub Body itself, over-long Hub Axle. Either of these two are possible and I stressed to this mongrol I have not ridden the bike at all, only laced up the wheel the weekend prior.

Still would not even entertain the thought of there being a serious issue, just throw away bulk items like those bearings w/o even knowing why.

I love their brakes, Tech EVO M4 w/ Shimano Ice Tech Rotors but the Hubs were supposed to be their bread and butter man. Now they are just chunks in my stool.

Posted: Mar 28, 2014 at 1:07 Quote
I run 142x 12 40t so maybe I can help you.

What frame are you running?
Can I see a pic of your drop outs?
Can I see a pic of your adaptors?
Any chance of a video showing the wobble?

Posted: Mar 28, 2014 at 14:48 Quote
No-go with some video - it is a definite shift under load by hand and I can only see huge failure from any form of riding. I totally understand Richard over there at HOPE in Texas having a crusty wheel show up should the offer for in-house service been elected upon, but this ain't it and I quickly tire of having to repeat myself.

I know what any pictures of my Dropouts and Axle Caps would show but there is no need - the dropouts are even and the axle fits just right between each end.

Bottom line is it seems these hubs are merely dropped into a neat little Box and it is up to the customer if they want to use it or not.

Why not make little kits for the Public to build then? All parts on a Tree and we get to file of the flashing, ya know...?

Save Money that way.

Posted: Mar 28, 2014 at 17:03 Quote
Seems like you have all the answers already.

Posted: Mar 28, 2014 at 18:40 Quote
sq225917 wrote:
Seems like you have all the answers already.

Believe me that I want to find there's something I did wrong or something of mine that is not compatible, that's just not the case.

The OD of my thruaxle(s) was fine by tech at HOPE, which leaves the hub with any fault to it.

It's just too bad HOPE refused to even look at it if I paid for all shipping...

...which makes no sense whatsoever and I am already looking to get rid of all my HOPE parts.

Posted: Mar 29, 2014 at 2:06 Quote
If the axle is right and tight there's nothing you can do wrong just building the spokes and rim up. If you disassembled the hubs before building them then its a different story. If you didn't take the freehub off or remove any of the bearings before building them then I'd just ignore his ass and send it in. Contact the UK guys and tell them you feel the service is unsatisfactory. They'll put a rocket up him.

Posted: Mar 29, 2014 at 4:53 Quote
sq225917 wrote:
If the axle is right and tight there's nothing you can do wrong just building the spokes and rim up. If you disassembled the hubs before building them then its a different story. If you didn't take the freehub off or remove any of the bearings before building them then I'd just ignore his ass and send it in. Contact the UK guys and tell them you feel the service is unsatisfactory. They'll put a rocket up him.

Yeah there was no tearing into this, just popped those endcaps off for an odd bearing seat or a damaged seal, and told HOPE exactly that. 2nd or 3rd email after Richie Rich over there is asking if the freehub seal was properly engaged. That's stuff on his ticket - not mine and not the consumer.

Truth be told my first thought was to simply contact HOPE in the UK, riders I'd met and spoken with from there were nothing except passionate in regards. I figured there would at least be some level of competence toward any how's and why's which I could have been open and receptive toward.

Now I just wanna unload the stuff and forget about it, but I will forward all the emails to HOPE in the UK.

It's funny though because this guy does not know his retail customers or his Dealers -- just a mile away is a small Dealer who only sells out of their house on a website. They just pack up boxes and the last email was asking if I knew where such and such is located in Town -- they can't do a damn thing, except put stuff in my hand I don't need!!

“If you have a job without any aggravations, you don't have a job.” Malcolm S. Forbes.

Or whoever writes email from HOPE in Texas.

Posted: Mar 29, 2014 at 6:31 Quote
You can remove the freehub by hand just twist it off, might be worth trying this to re-seat it just in case.

40 seconds in..

Posted: Mar 29, 2014 at 11:17 Quote
Brought the whole wheel to a shop out of Town and somehow the freehub play present, it has somehow taken a normal set to it. There was 3mm to 4mm of movement across the axle.

But, I reseated the wheel once more and... the bearing slop persists. And I am not riding it. Thanks for the help I will have to let the powers that be sort his out.

You should get a job at HOPE, relocate to HOPE in Texas - for other reasons altogether - and start firing people there. Hire the Homeless, street musicians. I dunno, but you -- you are good just at listening.

Apparently this is a skill. 2 cents

Posted: Mar 29, 2014 at 12:12 Quote
I used to oversee the service dept at Bestkiteboarding.com when I ran the marketing dept there. Customers are the source, only an idiot ignores them, even the shouty ones....

Best of luck with sorting it out, if the freehub wobble is gone, but the play at the rim remains then I'd look to the main bearings, and frankly that's their job to fix, not yours.

Posted: Mar 29, 2014 at 14:37 Quote
Thanks Brother - I'll update this thread here when there's something for the positive.

Posted: Apr 6, 2014 at 6:08 Quote
The 40T Pro 2 EVO is fine - there never was anything wrong with the hub.

What there was - besides one drunken idiot building wheels late at nite - was some kind of vapor-lock from Med. Loctite on the lower link of my suspension. It bottomed out & did not seat fully. Not only will this be fixed, the entire axle will be replaced.

... I have to apologise now to HOPE.

Maybe get a sad Tattoo.

Buy w/ confidence these new Hubs - sorry to almost everyone.

Posted: Apr 8, 2014 at 11:18 Quote
Ulysees wrote:
The 40T Pro 2 EVO is fine - there never was anything wrong with the hub.

What there was - besides one drunken idiot building wheels late at nite - was some kind of vapor-lock from Med. Loctite on the lower link of my suspension. It bottomed out & did not seat fully. Not only will this be fixed, the entire axle will be replaced.

... I have to apologise now to HOPE.

Maybe get a sad Tattoo.

Buy w/ confidence these new Hubs - sorry to almost everyone.

It takes a real man to apologise after all thattup .

I hope the 40t serves you well Ulysee. I just got one too, first ever 40t. On 2nd thoughts, hope it serves US both wellBeer

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009419
Mobile Version of Website