2011 NS Metropolis Question

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
2011 NS Metropolis Question
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 1, 2014 at 20:20 Quote
OK, I've got a 2011 NS Metropolis and I need to change the bottom bracket. The specs listed for this bike seem to contradict themselves by saying: "Bottom Bracket: SALT by Wethepeople, Mid-BB 19mm x 8 spline with 2-sealed Spanish bb bearings". As you can see it says Mid and Spanish

SO wondering if anyone know if I can just buy a new spanish BB set and install it? Anyone know?

The thing that gets me questioning is that the bearings look like they are pressed into a cup. I don't think NS makes american BBs so not sure what the deal is. Ideally, I'd like to get rid of this cup because its starting to rust.

Would it be possible that this bottom bracket is a mid BB, with cups that would allow you to use spanish bearings? Seems really weird if that were the case.

Thanks anyone

FL
Posted: Apr 2, 2014 at 7:53 Quote
From what I know it has a Mid BB shell which has cups press fitted into it so that it becomes 68mm wide and takes Spanish bearings. that's just what I have seen before on forums. I also need a new one.

Posted: Apr 2, 2014 at 9:30 Quote
Thanks for your response. That's kind of what I was afraid of, it's an odd combo and unfortunatly they don't respond to my inquirys with any detail at all, or at least spell it out clearly.

Also an odd combo as I don't think anyone sells replacement cups. So in theory, perhaps I could get rid of the cups by installing a Mid BB directly into the frame, and then using additional spacers on the cranks.

Anyone know if that will work? I would worry about the internal spacer between the bearings being too long in that case...I'm hoping to have parts ready before taking it apart if possible!

Thanks!

Posted: Apr 2, 2014 at 10:13 Quote
tccrawfo wrote:
Thanks for your response. That's kind of what I was afraid of, it's an odd combo and unfortunatly they don't respond to my inquirys with any detail at all, or at least spell it out clearly.

Also an odd combo as I don't think anyone sells replacement cups. So in theory, perhaps I could get rid of the cups by installing a Mid BB directly into the frame, and then using additional spacers on the cranks.

Anyone know if that will work? I would worry about the internal spacer between the bearings being too long in that case...I'm hoping to have parts ready before taking it apart if possible!

Thanks!

I'm no expert so I could be completely wrong. But if your worried about the spacer being too long could you just get a spacer for BMX? I believe they run shorter spacers and spindles. Just a thought

Posted: Apr 8, 2014 at 0:02 Quote
Did you resolve this? I'm picking up a 2009 metropolis in a couple of weeks and have been looking at bb replacements and running some different bmx cranks on there (amongst other upgrades). Did you use a mid bmx bb with spacers ok?

Posted: Apr 8, 2014 at 11:45 Quote
I ordered a Spanish kit actually and will try to reuse the spacer cup thing. I was able to get most the rust off of it and clean it up decently so I figured it's probably the easiest way. Have not relieved the parts yet, but will keep you posted.

It's an awesome bike by the way. I've had 3 different sets of bmx cranks on that bike (broke 2 sets so far) and the fit has been good. Had to use an extra spacer on my latest profile set bit it's all good.

Posted: Apr 8, 2014 at 13:25 Quote
Glad to hear it!
Let me know how it goes.

Posted: Apr 14, 2014 at 19:27 Quote
Guido743 wrote:
Glad to hear it!
Let me know how it goes.

So replaced the bearings with Demolition bmx Spanish kit. The Spanish bearings were pressed into a cup that widens the bb from 68mm to 73mm. It was relatively straight forward except the inner tube spacer that came with the bb kit was 5mm too short, so had to reuse the old one.

This was the easiest way. I'm guessing that it would have also worked to install a mid bb bmx kit without the inner cups and add more spacers to the cranks. Bummer that NS does not explain this stuff better, but hopefully this helps. Not impressed at all with their customer service, or lack of

Posted: Jun 18, 2017 at 14:07 Quote
I scrolled across this fourm the other day as I wa having the same problem. One of the bearings in Mycenae NS Holy 1 DJ bike completely seized so I bourght this bearing kit. It came in 3 sizes and is the perfect fit for most DJ bottom brackets of this type- http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/federal-mid-bottom-bracket/rp-prod141215?gs=1&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Chain+Reaction-UK-PLA-PLA-All-TB-SE-Shopping+QLB+Generic+Tablet&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid%7CsHv2TbZOF_dt%7Cpcrid%7C161824956629%7Cpkw%7C%7Cpmt%7C%7Cprd%7C513077UK

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012873
Mobile Version of Website