Research Assistant Required. (Which bike to buy)

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Research Assistant Required. (Which bike to buy)
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Apr 2, 2014 at 17:48 Quote
I've been out of the game for years, moved to Illinois and was a city slicker with nary a hill to climb. Now back in BC (on the Island) and getting ready to buy in. I've checked out every shop in town and more than a few online to "narrow" it to the following choices. Any input is appreciated. I'm not set on any wheelsize and have alternatively heard that all work great on the terrain out here.

Trek Fuel EX 7 2014 - 2400 (LBS)

Specialized Enduro Comp, 2013 - 2750 (LBS)

Devinci Dixon 2014 - 2899 (LBS)

Devinci Try 2014 - 2999 (LBS)

Opus Prime 2 2012 - 1899 (LBS)

Giant Trance X1 - 2012 (modified with dropper post, X9 rear) - 2299 (LBS)

Salsa Horsethief 2 - 2013, about 1900-2000 give or take with conversion rate, (Online)

Vitus Dominer 2013, about 2000 give or take duties and shipping (Chain Reaction)

Vitus Escarpe 2013, about 2000 give or take duties and shipping (Chain Reaction)

I'm in Victoria BC, if that helps any locals with recommendations. All things being equal I'll go with an LBS, but I'm broke as a joke so the siren call of the interwebs is always alluring.

As we say in Cannuckistan, mucho obligado mi amigos

Posted: Apr 3, 2014 at 15:46 Quote
Giant Trance, I'm biased because I have one.

Posted: Apr 6, 2014 at 11:56 Quote
Specialized enduro is definately a good choice. So many people are happy with that baby

Posted: Sep 16, 2014 at 21:41 Quote
I know this is digging up a dead thread, but I thought after a summer of riding I might as well share my experience. I found a Trance X0 29er from a Giant employee and got it new for about 1/2 price. It's a medium and I'm 5'6 so I had my doubts, but guy I bought it from is about the same size. I'd say it's worked out in that regard, but I do occasionally have to inch myself forward on steep climbs to keep the nose down.

I ride the standard BC west coast stuff, rooty, rocky and technical for the most part. I'd hazard that there are far better bikes for this kind of terrain, but even with that said this is a great bike. It climbs really well and is very stable in the descents. I would generally agree with those folks though who say that 29ers aren't really native out here. This bike can feel a bit like an elephant on tight twisty descents and I've scrapped my bar ends a fair bit as well. But then the 29ers roll over all the shit on the trail and I'm sure have saved me from a few endos.

I had a couple chances to take this on some less technical terrain at Tzouhalem and Cumberland and this bike really shines in the more cross country field where it can rip. Light and fast with a great component package.

I've had two things fail on the bike. The rear brake pads somehow got contaminated and started to loose pressure. XT brakes so I can't figure out what it is. No obvious leak... I bled them and they seem fine, but that ruined a set of pads with 75% life left. Also had the contact switch dropper post cabling somehow come out of the barrel housing. Probably after a crash. Had to disassemble the top part of the post to reset the cable and that's definitely a bit of a PiTA. I also smashed the shit out of my chain ring on a nasty rock, but can hardly blame the bike for that one.

Upgrades I'm thinking 1x drive train and I can see a stiffer fork being nice.

Other than that the bike has been flawless. It's probably about time to put on a new chain and "rebuild" the suspension.

I'm hoping to get in a bike trip to the interior or maybe Colorado next year and I'm betting the bike will really shine in that kind of terrain.

Posted: Sep 19, 2014 at 8:14 Quote
Salsa HT as folk on here get too bogged down thinking they need buckets loadso suspension.

When in fact they'd enjoy it more on less.

The Salsas are real capable bikes, my brother has a spearfish 80mm rear and 100 front and canes the shit outta it!

Horsethief is a 29er so are you 6ft + wanting to pump the front wheel over obstacles?

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006096
Mobile Version of Website