Trailforks.com Bug Reports

PB Forum :: Trailforks Feedback
Trailforks.com Bug Reports
Mod Plus
Posted: Jan 8, 2016 at 1:02 Quote
I'm going to try and investigate this again in detail tomorrow, had another user report this with some screenshots.

Mod Plus
Posted: Jan 8, 2016 at 15:59 Quote
Ok I found the problem, but no easy solution. The problem was not with any of the simplification I do, it was with the "encoded polyline" format I save trail gps tracks in. This format greatly speeds up rendering and much smaller datasize. Unfortunately it has a hardcoded or default precision of 5 decimal points on lat/lon.

5 decimal roughly equals 1.1 meter accuracy, so your points could move 1-2 meters with the rounding. I thought it was saving in 6 decimal points as that is what I set things at, which is roughly 11cm accuracy.

There is no easy fix though, the Google and leaflet encodedPolyline code both either hard-code or have 5 as the default. To increase to 6 I would have to change this code and then also re-encode all 40,000+ trails.

I do save the data in its raw form alongside the encodedPolyline and this raw data is to 6 decimal points. But the main maps on the site and the app use the encoded version, so they are 5 points. Features that use the 6 points are the routing and download files like GPX/KML.

Not sure I want to open this can of worms right now, re-encoding every trail. I think 1-2 meter accuracy for online maps is pretty good, its not too often one zooms in that close.

Posted: Jan 16, 2016 at 6:24 Quote
canadaka wrote:
Ok I found the problem, but no easy solution. The problem was not with any of the simplification I do, it was with the "encoded polyline" format I save trail gps tracks in. This format greatly speeds up rendering and much smaller datasize. Unfortunately it has a hardcoded or default precision of 5 decimal points on lat/lon.

5 decimal roughly equals 1.1 meter accuracy, so your points could move 1-2 meters with the rounding. I thought it was saving in 6 decimal points as that is what I set things at, which is roughly 11cm accuracy.

There is no easy fix though, the Google and leaflet encodedPolyline code both either hard-code or have 5 as the default. To increase to 6 I would have to change this code and then also re-encode all 40,000+ trails.

I do save the data in its raw form alongside the encodedPolyline and this raw data is to 6 decimal points. But the main maps on the site and the app use the encoded version, so they are 5 points. Features that use the 6 points are the routing and download files like GPX/KML.

Not sure I want to open this can of worms right now, re-encoding every trail. I think 1-2 meter accuracy for online maps is pretty good, its not too often one zooms in that close.

I would agree that 1 meter is more than adequate. One would be hard pressed to create meaningful points closer than that. I can understand now, between the minimum arc and the rounding accuracy, why there is drift.

From what I've noticed, uploaded GPS tracks don't seem to be affected as much as the drawn tracks. I just picked up a Garmin 520, so I'll get out in the spring and get GPS tracks up for all the trails that I've been curating.

Also, just as an FYI, it seems that edits made through "Track Editor" for the region, instead of through the individual trail pages themselves, keep better accuracy.

Thanks for looking into this, and for all the efforts in keeping Trailforks going strong.

Posted: Jan 22, 2016 at 11:29 Quote
Hi,
I found a bug. When you are using the enlarge map on a region, you have access to the zoom n button but the zoom out is hidden under the "shrink" icon. So the only way to zoom out is to shrink it and at the same time does a huge zoom out.

My two cents

Mod Plus
Posted: Jan 22, 2016 at 14:01 Quote
hpman83 wrote:
Hi,
I found a bug. When you are using the enlarge map on a region, you have access to the zoom n button but the zoom out is hidden under the "shrink" icon. So the only way to zoom out is to shrink it and at the same time does a huge zoom out.

My two cents

I'll fix that, I never use the zoom buttons, so didnt notice. I zoom in and out of maps using my mouse scroll wheel, so much faster.

Posted: Jan 26, 2016 at 12:31 Quote
canadaka wrote:
hpman83 wrote:
Hi,

My two cents

I'll fix that, I never use the zoom buttons, so didnt notice. I zoom in and out of maps using my mouse scroll wheel, so much faster.

True but on my laptop under linux i don't have access to the mouse scroll wheel on the trackpad.

Thanks

Posted: Feb 4, 2016 at 11:59 Quote
The Region Map Widget is not updating the region link in the iFrame and BBcode windows from the Region query box.

The link remains Mount Fromme.

Mod Plus
Posted: Feb 4, 2016 at 12:41 Quote
chuktA wrote:
The Region Map Widget is not updating the region link in the iFrame and BBcode windows from the Region query box.

The link remains Mount Fromme.

Fixed, thanks for reporting the bug!

Posted: Feb 15, 2016 at 10:31 Quote
The map buttons are under the "Layers" menu so they can't be changed.

Posted: Feb 17, 2016 at 21:00 Quote
Sometime in the past few weeks the map screen layout was changed so the Layers menu is now on top of the map source selector panel in the top left corner. Now you can't select OSM or Satellite as the map background because of the overlap. Only the ArcGIS and TF options are clickable. The map source menu used to be at the top right so maybe move it back there so it's not blocked by the Layers menu. Thanks!

Mod Plus
Posted: Mar 2, 2016 at 10:14 Quote
braino wrote:
Sometime in the past few weeks the map screen layout was changed so the Layers menu is now on top of the map source selector panel in the top left corner. Now you can't select OSM or Satellite as the map background because of the overlap. Only the ArcGIS and TF options are clickable. The map source menu used to be at the top right so maybe move it back there so it's not blocked by the Layers menu. Thanks!

Sorry I was on Vacation for most of February, Google updated something on their maps that messed up our UI. One of the other PB developers fixed it after a few days.

Posted: Mar 2, 2016 at 13:04 Quote
Trevor,
I'm still running into issues with large ridelogs. Here's the latest.

First, I'm all set to auto import from Strava, haven't had an issue other than the large rides not importing. So, I manually imported the ride from this past weekend. Now, under my Ridelog tab it shows the ride 4 times?? Could this be because it was a 4 day ride?

http://www.trailforks.com/ridelog/view/374453/

They all show as Feb. 26th with the same data.

If I click on my Activity tab, the ride is not listed at all. It also doesn't show on the Trailforks homepage under the State tab for recent activity.

Also, some of the data for this ride gets truncated, probably due to the multiple day activity.(Moving time, total time, avg. speed, avg moving speed) all seem to be way off compared to what Strava & Garmin Connect display.

Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/505776810

Garmin Connect: https://connect.garmin.com/activity/1068979957

Is there any way to keep the climbing data in feet? It lists it in feet until the ride goes over 5280, then just rounds to the nearest mile. I know, I know, it's not meters, but we like feet down here!! Smile (Climb dist. can remain in miles)

Thanks.

Mod Plus
Posted: Mar 2, 2016 at 17:47 Quote
freeskier46 wrote:
Trevor,
I'm still running into issues with large ridelogs. Here's the latest.

First, I'm all set to auto import from Strava, haven't had an issue other than the large rides not importing. So, I manually imported the ride from this past weekend. Now, under my Ridelog tab it shows the ride 4 times?? Could this be because it was a 4 day ride?

http://www.trailforks.com/ridelog/view/374453/

They all show as Feb. 26th with the same data.

If I click on my Activity tab, the ride is not listed at all. It also doesn't show on the Trailforks homepage under the State tab for recent activity.

Also, some of the data for this ride gets truncated, probably due to the multiple day activity.(Moving time, total time, avg. speed, avg moving speed) all seem to be way off compared to what Strava & Garmin Connect display.

Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/505776810

Garmin Connect: https://connect.garmin.com/activity/1068979957

Is there any way to keep the climbing data in feet? It lists it in feet until the ride goes over 5280, then just rounds to the nearest mile. I know, I know, it's not meters, but we like feet down here!! Smile (Climb dist. can remain in miles)

Thanks.

You do some crazy long rides!
The duplicate ridelogs... not sure about, they were added manual via the form, so maybe it was submitted several times? thinking it was not working or taking too long?

The stats, I will look into, don't think i've looked at a multiple day track before.

The climbing units is a bug, will fix that.

Can you email me your orignal GPX file.

Posted: Mar 3, 2016 at 11:44 Quote
wrote:
[Quote]You do some crazy long rides!
The duplicate ridelogs... not sure about, they were added manual via the form, so maybe it was submitted several times? thinking it was not working or taking too long?

The stats, I will look into, don't think i've looked at a multiple day track before.

The climbing units is a bug, will fix that.

Can you email me your orignal GPX file.

I like the long rides!! Smile

Only submitted it once, it didn't take too long to load either.

I'll email it later today. I also noticed on these long rides, be it a single day long one or mult-day, the elevation profile doesn't load. It displays a message stating the ridelog is too big.

Posted: Mar 7, 2016 at 12:04 Quote
Hey Trevor,
Here's another one, this update won't let me approve it. Telling me I don't have the rights to approve the change??

http://www.trailforks.com/trails/canyon-of-fools-upper/?crevid=16462

It's good to go. Thanks.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005731
Mobile Version of Website