Trailforks.com Bug Reports

PB Forum :: Trailforks Feedback
Trailforks.com Bug Reports
Author Message
Posted: Aug 18, 2020 at 6:44 Quote
Then why have badges and contests if you don't manage them and respond to user requests for clarity or correction? Your comment contradicts itself..

Who are you to assume how we use the Trailforks app? For the record we don't use it purely for the badges and contests.We are mostly recreational but the badges and contests do encourage exploration & adventure. If you wish to use strava then go ahead, don't presume you can tell me what to do.

When you work hard to get a badge or participate in a contest and the system fails to recognize your effort because of a tracking issue & nothing a region Admin can fix because it has nothing to do with trails, one can get very disappointed. Specially when you drive 2 hours, one way to ride a new & unfamiliar location. It starts to grate..

If I were the only one experiencing this I would chalk it up to a crappy phone. However, since I am not, the forum is littered with requests and comments, the one thing I can do is identify an issue and ask for guidance on offering my assistance to help resolve it.

Have a great day.

1partatatime wrote:
andrelaurentmtb wrote:
The track on today's ride was horrible. A large group of riders, socially distanced, rode all the the trails in the ridelog

#16330106

Yet I got some trails incomplete. When you look at the ridelog you can see that I've ridden them all, however it looks like I was riding some invisible trail in the bush next to the actual married trails. The Trailforks tracking is really poor. Whatever was implemented in the last release to improve tracking didn't work.

Please find a fix, we (my tribe) is getting supremely frustrated with the poor performance.

Thanx in advance.

Trailforks : About page https://www.trailforks.com/about/

bigquotesTrailforks is a trail management system for outdoor enthusiasts, trail builders/associations, government and tourism. It aims to provide the very best tools to inventory, maintain, promote and showcase trail networks and tourism destination. Tools such as statistics empower each group to have accessible data to show local city councils, governments, tourism boards and parks, conveying the popularity and potential economic impact of outdoor recreation on their area in order to receive further support to grow trail networks.

The Trailforks App harnesses all this data and provides users with the best tool for planning their next destination, and on trail experience of navigation and safety.

Trailforks is for guidance, not purely 'credits' or 'badges'. If you are looking for the competitive reasons, use Strava.

If you have mapping related issues, this is not the forum for that. Contact your local admin (can be found at the bottom of the region page) and work with them to update the trails in question.

Posted: Aug 18, 2020 at 6:47 Quote
I am not being specific but more general in terms of tracking.

Here is another ridelog from the end of may

https://www.trailforks.com/ridelog/view/13598788/

Right at the start, the Dab Trail, see how poor the tracking is. Three of us followed it directly, Dawn's ridelog is not visible because she apparently rode something sensitive, yet the other 2 did not and we all rode the exact same trails.

Strange....

As for comparing the 2 tracks, that's an excellent idea. I would have to remove the permission for TF to access the garmin track then compare both after a few rides.

I might just do that today & for the rest of the week.

Since I have no idea how the TF system uses the garmin data I can't say which trumps which..

If anyone has any other useful ideas let me know.

Thanks!

Canadmos wrote:
andrelaurentmtb wrote:
I am riding with two devices, a Garmin 520+ and my s9+.

By your logic, either they are both experiencing tracking issues which is highly unlikely or the trailforks maps are wrong.

Dawn is one of my crew & we ride very closely. If her track matched the trails more closely (why didn't she get full credit for some of the trails she rode 100% of, a whole other issue!) Then it must be every one of my gps devices! Put aside the canopy coverage, weather, rain and whatever else, trails moving, it's simply frustrating.

My trailforks tracking was horrible from the start of this riding season before I used the Garmin gps. I connected my Garmin account to hopefully increase the accuracy but that didn't help much.
I don't know how TF uses the Garmin access to it's benefit. So I can't really comment.

So what "might" and what "could" be ideas aren't going to help. What I have offered is to assist in trying to figure out why this is happening and I need some guidance on what I can do, to provide detailed, quantitative data that will help make the app more accurate.

Since I am not the only one experiencing this, one would think the dev guys works be eager to utilize the opportunity to make it better for everyone. Not addressing it is definitely not doing the right thing.

Just my thoughts... Positive, actionable feedback is what I'm looking for.

Thanx

Canadmos wrote:


To me that looks like either your GPS device wasn't very accurate at the time of recording OR its more accurate than the trails that are in TrailForks.

You can see who I assume is someone you road with, dawnlarent, their ride follows the trails in TF pretty closely. There are a few obvious spots where either the trail has changed since it was added to TF or the accuracy was low to begin with...

Are you talking about how Fluffy Bunny was only a partial match and thus you didn't get credited with actually riding it? If it is, your actual GPS track on that trail barely follows whats in TF. Could be why?

I'd be curious to see how your Samsung recorded that same ride, outside of the Garmin.

I'm just purely curious about the issue. When our group rides, the GPS tracks on Strava and TF (those who sync to TF..) are usually pretty similar, but there is one guy whose phone almost always has a huge drift in the tracking. We can't figure that out - others with iPhone's have no issues.

Posted: Aug 18, 2020 at 7:45 Quote
andrelaurentmtb wrote:
I am not being specific but more general in terms of tracking.

Here is another ridelog from the end of may

https://www.trailforks.com/ridelog/view/13598788/

Right at the start, the Dab Trail, see how poor the tracking is. Three of us followed it directly, Dawn's ridelog is not visible because she apparently rode something sensitive, yet the other 2 did not and we all rode the exact same trails.

Strange....

As for comparing the 2 tracks, that's an excellent idea. I would have to remove the permission for TF to access the garmin track then compare both after a few rides.

I might just do that today & for the rest of the week.

Since I have no idea how the TF system uses the garmin data I can't say which trumps which..

If anyone has any other useful ideas let me know.

Thanks!


I can tell you right off the bat, that Dab Trail is not accurate. That trail in reality is a lot tighter and shorter than what is depicted in Trailforks. Someone just needs to correct the tracking. Smile

That ride in particular (and Dufferin Forest in general) does have quite a few trails that are hidden and some have the sensitive flag set. It looks like you guys crossed over one of these trails - Dawn's GPS tracking follows along one trail for some time, while yours is drifted off of it mostly.

My understanding and assumption is that Trailforks just imports and displays the GPS tracking points that are recorded by your device, but doesn't change the data. For trail matching, I'm sure its similar to how Strava matches your ride up with its segments, you need to start and end within some margin of error of the segment and stay within +/- some offset of the track.

On a sidenote, was that Seven Sisters trail clear? I haven't ridden that in a few years after it got logged and ruined, it'd be nice to check it out again, it was fun.

Posted: Aug 18, 2020 at 8:09 Quote
It was our first visit to Mansfield so the tracking was important to not only help us navigate but to encourage a return for the badges as fun project. It was a 2 hour drive to get there..

We fuddled through the ride, had an amazing time then got frustrated with the ridelog results lol. that was back at the end of May. Youtube video only now being edited..

7 sisters was open & clear. Looks like some serious work was done to clean up a lot of those trails recently. one of our top 5 places to ride now.

I have no clue how TF and Garmin work together. We don't have a use for Strava, we don't race and have no need. It is all fun & adventure exploring for us. Between the Garmin issues (that's a whole other story, confirmed by Garmin support) & the TF inaccuracy things get slow & tedious when we are trying to ride somewhere new and unknown to us. With the pandemic it was even more important to go to isolated places to avoid exposure. Don't need anything else adding to the stress..

The Dab trail and the tracking are so inconsistent not only in TF but the Garmin track as well. Dawn got the Dab in her list, we didn't!?!?!?!? Doesn't make for a good day when you rode & missed trails because of issues like this.

I see that "The Hill Trail" has been rerouted, so that is something the region Admin should be taking care of at some point. The old track is still visible & explains why it wasn't credited.

I think I have communicated with them regarding trails that have been decommissioned but are still in the badge list, recently so that hopefully will be fixed.

Canadmos wrote:
andrelaurentmtb wrote:
I am not being specific but more general in terms of tracking.

Here is another ridelog from the end of may

https://www.trailforks.com/ridelog/view/13598788/

Right at the start, the Dab Trail, see how poor the tracking is. Three of us followed it directly, Dawn's ridelog is not visible because she apparently rode something sensitive, yet the other 2 did not and we all rode the exact same trails.

Strange....

As for comparing the 2 tracks, that's an excellent idea. I would have to remove the permission for TF to access the garmin track then compare both after a few rides.

I might just do that today & for the rest of the week.

Since I have no idea how the TF system uses the garmin data I can't say which trumps which..

If anyone has any other useful ideas let me know.

Thanks!


I can tell you right off the bat, that Dab Trail is not accurate. That trail in reality is a lot tighter and shorter than what is depicted in Trailforks. Someone just needs to correct the tracking. Smile

That ride in particular (and Dufferin Forest in general) does have quite a few trails that are hidden and some have the sensitive flag set. It looks like you guys crossed over one of these trails - Dawn's GPS tracking follows along one trail for some time, while yours is drifted off of it mostly.

My understanding and assumption is that Trailforks just imports and displays the GPS tracking points that are recorded by your device, but doesn't change the data. For trail matching, I'm sure its similar to how Strava matches your ride up with its segments, you need to start and end within some margin of error of the segment and stay within +/- some offset of the track.

On a sidenote, was that Seven Sisters trail clear? I haven't ridden that in a few years after it got logged and ruined, it'd be nice to check it out again, it was fun.

Posted: Aug 24, 2020 at 8:36 Quote
I am still running into the issue of routes on Trailforks listing elevation that is way, way higher than reality.

For example https://www.trailforks.com/route/galena-ditch-to-co-trail-15-5-mile-loop/

Lists the total ascent at 2,975' but when I rode it my ascent was actually 2,096'. I love using Trailforks but this is really frustrating and makes ride planning difficult.

Posted: Aug 27, 2020 at 7:49 Quote
Some of the links to support Trail Karma are bad- PayPal says they are not valid. Not sure if the websites that purport to represent a given trail area are genuine. Any upkeep on this issue? Rhode Island NEMBA is one that seems unclear, for example.

Mod Plus
Posted: Aug 28, 2020 at 21:53 Quote
HappyBiker19 wrote:
Some of the links to support Trail Karma are bad- PayPal says they are not valid. Not sure if the websites that purport to represent a given trail area are genuine. Any upkeep on this issue? Rhode Island NEMBA is one that seems unclear, for example.

It does seem the Rhode Island NEMBA paypal is dead, I removed it. A full audit of all paypal addresses is something we should do, but would take some time. We verify when setup, but not since then.

Posted: Sep 1, 2020 at 9:38 Quote
Having problems running the app on an android device with no google services (using microg). When I try to use the GPS for location I get an error:

Warning
Cannot find current location. Your GPS is ON but Trailforks still thinks it is off. Please close and restart the app. Error code: 499

I see the icon in the status bar turn on for location. The app otherwise works fine. Every other app I have that uses location works fine.

Posted: Sep 8, 2020 at 20:32 Quote
I got the exact same issue when I use a moto z running Android 8.

jebaker wrote:
Having problems running the app on an android device with no google services (using microg). When I try to use the GPS for location I get an error:

Warning
Cannot find current location. Your GPS is ON but Trailforks still thinks it is off. Please close and restart the app. Error code: 499

I see the icon in the status bar turn on for location. The app otherwise works fine. Every other app I have that uses location works fine.

Posted: Sep 10, 2020 at 22:36 Quote
andrelaurentmtb wrote:
I am riding with two devices, a Garmin 520+ and my s9+.

By your logic, either they are both experiencing tracking issues which is highly unlikely or the trailforks maps are wrong.

Dawn is one of my crew & we ride very closely. If her track matched the trails more closely (why didn't she get full credit for some of the trails she rode 100% of, a whole other issue!) Then it must be every one of my gps devices! Put aside the canopy coverage, weather, rain and whatever else, trails moving, it's simply frustrating.

My trailforks tracking was horrible from the start of this riding season before I used the Garmin gps. I connected my Garmin account to hopefully increase the accuracy but that didn't help much.
I don't know how TF uses the Garmin access to it's benefit. So I can't really comment.

So what "might" and what "could" be ideas aren't going to help. What I have offered is to assist in trying to figure out why this is happening and I need some guidance on what I can do, to provide detailed, quantitative data that will help make the app more accurate.

Since I am not the only one experiencing this, one would think the dev guys works be eager to utilize the opportunity to make it better for everyone. Not addressing it is definitely not doing the right thing.

Just my thoughts... Positive, actionable feedback is what I'm looking for.

Thanx

Canadmos wrote:
andrelaurentmtb wrote:
The track on today's ride was horrible. A large group of riders, socially distanced, rode all the the trails in the ridelog

#16330106

Yet I got some trails incomplete. When you look at the ridelog you can see that I've ridden them all, however it looks like I was riding some invisible trail in the bush next to the actual married trails. The Trailforks tracking is really poor. Whatever was implemented in the last release to improve tracking didn't work.

Please find a fix, we (my tribe) is getting supremely frustrated with the poor performance.

Thanx in advance.

To me that looks like either your GPS device wasn't very accurate at the time of recording OR its more accurate than the trails that are in TrailForks.

You can see who I assume is someone you road with, dawnlarent, their ride follows the trails in TF pretty closely. There are a few obvious spots where either the trail has changed since it was added to TF or the accuracy was low to begin with...

So, as of lately I've been having similar issues. I rode 12 trails for the Fromme Fondo 2020 but TF only picked up 10. Floppy Bunny and Roadside Attraction where way off the map. Then today, I had an attempt at the Battle Tractor badge, which I completed fine, but TF didn't pick up part of Good Sir Martin nor the top of Severed D properly, so no batch for me. I usually track my rides with Strava and sync them to TF, this hasn't been issue in the past though, or at least I hadn't noticed it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Posted: Sep 12, 2020 at 9:14 Quote
Upgraded to Pro but I am still getting the upgrade screen and limited capabilities of the free version. Have deleted and reloaded the app, cylced phone off/on, to no avail.

Posted: Sep 13, 2020 at 7:25 Quote
Have tried to login under old password and error came up reset password twice and still not letting me in. Have deleted app twice and rebooted phone and no go.
Help

Posted: Sep 14, 2020 at 8:42 Quote
I am still seeing routes that are listing the ascent as way more than reality. For example

https://www.trailforks.com/route/navajo-rocks-loop-3833/

It shows 2,400 ft climbing even though it's really 1,300 ft.

Now that trailforks has a paid version of the app can we get this fixed? I see this on so many different routes I can't trust Trailforks anymore for my ride planning. It makes ride planning incredibly difficult when you're expecting 2x the ascent than what it really is.

Mod Plus
Posted: Sep 14, 2020 at 13:50 Quote
provin1327 wrote:
I am still seeing routes that are listing the ascent as way more than reality. For example

https://www.trailforks.com/route/navajo-rocks-loop-3833/

It shows 2,400 ft climbing even though it's really 1,300 ft.

Now that trailforks has a paid version of the app can we get this fixed? I see this on so many different routes I can't trust Trailforks anymore for my ride planning. It makes ride planning incredibly difficult when you're expecting 2x the ascent than what it really is.

I edited a point on that route, so it forced a recalculation of the elevation. Climb number much lower now
https://www.trailforks.com/route/navajo-rocks-loop-3833/

I will add to my todo list to recalculate all routes elevation. But could take awhile, so many other priorities.
We won't have more resources from Pro for some time, these things take time to ramp up.

Mod Plus
Posted: Sep 14, 2020 at 13:50 Quote
RyderDog wrote:
Upgraded to Pro but I am still getting the upgrade screen and limited capabilities of the free version. Have deleted and reloaded the app, cylced phone off/on, to no avail.

There seems to be an issue with the app update over the weekend and it recognizing the Pro Subscription purchase on checkout. We have a fix in review now.

But if you had this issue you can fix it by going to the "Settings" page in the app and clicking "Restore Pro Subscription".
https://www.trailforks.com/help/view/126/


 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008151
Mobile Version of Website