Trailforks Website Feedback & Suggestions

PB Forum :: Trailforks Feedback
Trailforks Website Feedback & Suggestions
Mod O+ FL
Posted: Jul 15, 2014 at 22:49 Quote
lostlunchbox wrote:
Loving the new sight! Can't thank you folks enough for all the work you're putting in... just rode a local trail i wasn't even aware of till yesterday thanks to TFtup One very minor personal issue i find (since this is the feedback forum) is that i often inadvertently have the cursor over the map when attempting to scroll the page and end up zooming the map instead. Then i have to fuss around a bit to get it back to the view i wanted. Which makes me cry. Perhaps having to click/select the map window to activate the zoom function? Otherwise good stuff all around. Thanks again and keep it up.

Thanks for the comment!
I use my mouse wheel to scroll the map all the time! But I guess I'm just aware and used to it that I always move my cursor to the side when I mean to scroll the page. The problem with requiring a click on the map first is some people might find that odd and complain about that behaviour as its not normal to how maps.google.com works.

What trail you ride?

Posted: Jul 15, 2014 at 23:40 Quote
canadaka wrote:
lostlunchbox wrote:
Loving the new sight! Can't thank you folks enough for all the work you're putting in... just rode a local trail i wasn't even aware of till yesterday thanks to TFtup One very minor personal issue i find (since this is the feedback forum) is that i often inadvertently have the cursor over the map when attempting to scroll the page and end up zooming the map instead. Then i have to fuss around a bit to get it back to the view i wanted. Which makes me cry. Perhaps having to click/select the map window to activate the zoom function? Otherwise good stuff all around. Thanks again and keep it up.

Thanks for the comment!
I use my mouse wheel to scroll the map all the time! But I guess I'm just aware and used to it that I always move my cursor to the side when I mean to scroll the page. The problem with requiring a click on the map first is some people might find that odd and complain about that behaviour as its not normal to how maps.google.com works.

What trail you ride?

*site...'pologize fer ma grammer. Yeah, I figured it's a bit of six'o one. Just didn't seem inherently natural to me. I'll probably adapt. Checked out Salty Nozzle. Good times.

Posted: Jul 17, 2014 at 11:37 Quote
ARROWS:
There are always single-directional arrows overlaid on trails in the map view, even if the trails are labelled as "Both Directions".

It would be nice if the arrows could reflect the "Direction" field, and only have arrows if the trail itself is directional. Maybe the arrows could even look a bit different as a visual cue to show the difference between trails that are "Downhill Primary" vs. "Downhill Only".
Possible suggestions:
-Use bolder triangle-style arrows for single-directional only routes
-Use the current chevron-style arrows for single-directional primary routes
-OR, maybe just put more frequent arrows for single-directional only routes, and sparse arrows for single-directional primary routes.

TRUST RATINGS:
In my few trail submissions so far, it seems that trust ratings work like this:
-If your trail submission is approved, you get a Trust point.
-If someone subsequently edits your trail, you lose that Trust point (even if the subsequent edit is by you, the original submitter).
-If a trail of yours is completely deleted, you lose multiple trust points? (even if the deletion is by you, the original submitter)
-You do not get Trust points for edits or deletions

I'm sure I am missing factors in the Trust ratings, but I am just going off the very simple description in the help section of the site and my own Trust history.
Anyway, my suggestion based on my observations above is this: Distinguish between your own edits and deletions of your trail and those made by someone else. If you are trying to correct or improve a trail that you created, it doesn't warrant downgrading your trust. Also, if you realize a mistake you made in creating a trail, and delete your own trail, it shouldn't downgrade your trust more than if you had never created the new trail in the first place.

This of course is just my opinion, maybe you want to always downgrade trust of people who make mistakes and then try to correct them, or don't create the trail as perfectly as they have information to do. It just seems a bit harsh to me.

Also, does just adding additional information to the trail lower the original submitters trust rating? I'm not sure about that one, but I don't think that should be the case either.

Thanks again for the great site!

Mod O+ FL
Posted: Jul 17, 2014 at 15:05 Quote
Thanks for the great feedback! I've added these suggestions to my task list. There is defiantly bugs to work out with the trust system, thanks for detailing some of the problems you've found!

FL
Posted: Jul 19, 2014 at 15:05 Quote
When adding a trail report, it would be nice if you could add a date for when it was ridden/worked on. I rode last night and didn't write a report until this morning but it rained overnight so trail conditions would be a little different.

Mod O+ FL
Posted: Jul 19, 2014 at 22:13 Quote
Hwulex wrote:
When adding a trail report, it would be nice if you could add a date for when it was ridden/worked on. I rode last night and didn't write a report until this morning but it rained overnight so trail conditions would be a little different.

I've added to my list to allow modifying a reports date up to 7 days in the past. Will add it next week, thanks for the suggestion!

Mod
Posted: Jul 23, 2014 at 11:42 Quote
canadaka wrote:
lostlunchbox wrote:

Thanks for the comment!

maps.google.com isn't a great example, as the difference is that for maps.google.com, you can't scroll the main page, as the map is the only content on the page. If you look at other Google pages that have maps as secondary content, like this search for Vancouver, British Columbia, then scrolling over the maps scrolls the page. We also use this technique on our BuySell location filter: if you pull up the "Near Me" tab, scrolling over the map will scroll the whole page.

But it isn't as obvious and straight-forward with Trailforks though, as often the maps ARE primary content on a Trailforks page. If you look at a region page or a trail page, those maps are meant to be browsed and used on that page. So I can see how the decision can go both ways.

That said, I think we've got the wrong behavior. You shouldn't have to remember to "move your mouse" before scrolling a web page. This is a usability paper cut. It is frustrating when it happens. Head exploding frustrating. Zooming the map is not the expected behavior of scrolling a web page. Especially considering there are TWO other ways to scroll the map: using the buttons for novice users and double clicking (and ctrl+double clicking to zoom out) for expert users. Most Trailforks maps have an "Expand" button, which once you are in there and the map is full window (like maps.google.com), it makes appropriate the scroll wheel's normal behavior for zooming, as that's when users expect it to happen.

I think we should turn off scrolling zooming for maps that aren't the whole page.

Mod O+
Posted: Jul 23, 2014 at 12:15 Quote
Can't we make it that if you start scrolling on a page with the mouse not on the map, then the map does not take over zoom when it scrolls by. But if you start a scroll with the mouse on the map, it would zoom. Basically on hover of the map can we programatically turn on the zoom stuff? That would make it a whole lot better than it is now.

Mod O+ FL
Posted: Jul 23, 2014 at 12:34 Quote
I completely disagree, but we've talked about this before Razz
I only use the mouse wheel to scroll maps, and I believe for better or worse its a learned behaviour of many others. All these other trail/map sites with non fullscreen maps have this same behaviour.

http://www.trails.com/trailfinder/browsebymap/default.aspx?z=13&lat=49.261226&lon=-123.11392699999998
http://trailpeak.com/widgets?location=Vancouver,%20BC
http://trailfu.com/
http://allridesnow.com/spot
http://www.worldbikeparks.com/locator
http://www.whistler.com/trails/bike/
http://www.mtbproject.com/
https://www.vul.ca/fields/70

Even the big boys like Facebook do map mouse scrolling
https://www.facebook.com/search/str/science%2520world/places-named
http://www.accuweather.com/en/ca/vancouver/v5z/weather-radar/53286
http://www.whitehouse.gov/healthreform/map

Or almost any website on the internet with embedded Google or Bing maps, as its the default behaviour. So its what most people will have learnt to expect.

Mod O+ FL
Posted: Jul 23, 2014 at 14:39 Quote
OK we came up with a solution, basically what Radek mentioned. If you're scrolling down the page the map won't scroll, unless you stop over the map for 300ms and then scroll. Also clicking the map will always initiate map scrolling.

Posted: Jul 24, 2014 at 14:01 Quote
Have you considered allowing Trailforks to be synced with Instagram? While I don't use Instagram, a lot of riders seem to, it would make ride reports more interesting and give up to date photos of tracks.

Mod O+ FL
Posted: Jul 24, 2014 at 14:15 Quote
enduro86 wrote:
Have you considered allowing Trailforks to be synced with Instagram? While I don't use Instagram, a lot of riders seem to, it would make ride reports more interesting and give up to date photos of tracks.

Probably not, as we want to encourage people to post photos to Pinkbike not a 3rd party Wink
You can take a photo on your phone and email it too post@pinkbike.com

I also created a simple Trailforks Photo App as a test. It allows you to take a photo and attach it to a nearby trail
http://www.trailforks.com/apps/photos/

O+
Posted: Aug 11, 2014 at 10:33 Quote
I just 'sunk' or 'synced' all my rides from Strava and am going to add some more trails/riding areas from VT where I live. Be nice to have a feature to rescan your uploaded rides so that any newly added areas automatically count towards somewhere you have checked into.

For example I just added 'Sunny Hollow' in 'Colchester' VT and should have shown me as having checked in there. Is this a feature I'm missing?

Thanks!

Mod O+ FL
Posted: Aug 11, 2014 at 12:27 Quote
yhtomitn64 wrote:
I just 'sunk' or 'synced' all my rides from Strava and am going to add some more trails/riding areas from VT where I live. Be nice to have a feature to rescan your uploaded rides so that any newly added areas automatically count towards somewhere you have checked into.

For example I just added 'Sunny Hollow' in 'Colchester' VT and should have shown me as having checked in there. Is this a feature I'm missing?

Thanks!

later this year once the trail database is built up, I may doa rescan of all ridelog data.
But you can rescan individual ridelogs, there is a grey link in the bottom right of a ridelog "[recalculate data]".

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.043607
Mobile Version of Website