Trailforks Website Feedback & Suggestions

PB Forum :: Trailforks Feedback
Trailforks Website Feedback & Suggestions
O+
Posted: Aug 21, 2018 at 8:28 Quote
canadaka wrote:
We will not be changing this. Trailforks uses whatever the locals use. When viewing trails in the UK Forestry standard you will see them graded and coloured using their system. When viewing trails in Canada, you will see them in the IMBA standard.
Thanks. Thats good news - talking to our local admin now. Out of curiosity - does anyone in the US really show double black diamond trails as red (i mean on paper maps)?

Mod O+
Posted: Aug 21, 2018 at 13:02 Quote
chuxxo wrote:
canadaka wrote:
We will not be changing this. Trailforks uses whatever the locals use. When viewing trails in the UK Forestry standard you will see them graded and coloured using their system. When viewing trails in Canada, you will see them in the IMBA standard.
Thanks. Thats good news - talking to our local admin now. Out of curiosity - does anyone in the US really show double black diamond trails as red (i mean on paper maps)?

Yes it is very common.

https://assets.vailresorts.com/-/media/whistler-blackcomb/products/pdf/bike-park/2018wmbptrailmap.ashx
https://d1pdyfnmzhu191.cloudfront.net/images/default-source/master/bike-park/17-18_bikepark_trailmap_front.jpg?sfvrsn=c072ed04_0

O+
Posted: Aug 22, 2018 at 6:33 Quote
canadaka wrote:
chuxxo wrote:
Out of curiosity - does anyone in the US really show double black diamond trails as red (i mean on paper maps)?
Yes it is very common.
Thanks for the links. Whistler actually uses black with red stripes for double black and red is for Pro.
Mammoth is a complete mess Smile black diamond is shown as orange, double black as red and pro as purple.

Current situation is very unfortunate as red being more difficult than black in the US is completely opposite the EU.
Isnt there some other color also commonly used on paper maps for double blacks which would avoid this (e.g. yellow or at least pink)? That would be the best compromise IMO.

Other solution might be to localize the color mapping as well - i.e. US users could see EU blacks as red and EU red as black, while EU users would see US black diamond as red and US double black diamond as black.
But that would probably be an overkill.

Edit: I just switched the rating system on my region and the way it works is rather ugly - the rating created under original system stayed the same even after the switch - it did not get mapped into the new rating.
Old value (double black) is now even shown as one of the new options (red/black/pro/double black) - which seems like a defect to me (or maybe the design flaw).
This way we can never fix the whole country (unless people are willing to edit all the trails).

Mod O+
Posted: Aug 22, 2018 at 11:33 Quote
You will have to edit all the trails. If a trail is specified as a difficulty out of range of the regions current difficulty system, it has to be shown on the edit page selection, or else nothing would be selected and the form would have an error because difficulty is a required field.

I could do a bulk update in the database on request.

O+
Posted: Aug 22, 2018 at 13:12 Quote
canadaka wrote:
You will have to edit all the trails. If a trail is specified as a difficulty out of range of the regions current difficulty system, it has to be shown on the edit page selection, or else nothing would be selected and the form would have an error because difficulty is a required field.

I could do a bulk update in the database on request.

Thanks - that would really help with the switch (and mainly convincing people to go for it).
It would probably by better if all the rating systems were internally mapped to the single (internal) system, but i see that would mean the all systems would need to be pretty similar in nature and might require a redesign.

As far as the first issue goes - would there be some compromise idea how to avoid having red>black in the US and black>red in EU? The main driver for this is that most of EU started with US system by default and unless all the country admins decide to switch, we will have this ultra-confusing situation for the long time.

What about defining the color of double black per country? That would keep US as is, but avoid confusion for the EU?
It would still leave confusion for US users looking at EU trails and vice versa - but those are rather rare and can learn the cultural differences.

O+
Posted: Aug 28, 2018 at 4:45 Quote
There's this little place in the html ridelog that I would love to see a max speed - possible?
photo

Posted: Sep 6, 2018 at 0:12 Quote
I am looking at the route overview. Some routes have a small preview map next to its name. Some don't'. Some maps are also outdated. Please check out this example.
Norrtälje routes

Happy Witch Ride -- seems ok.
Nodsta MTB-varv -- not up to date, new turn on the west side is missing.
Others are missing.

How to manage these previews?

/Örjan

Mod O+
Posted: Sep 6, 2018 at 12:29 Quote
When a route is added or edited, the preview images should get updated. Although it may be a CDN or browser caching issue.

O+
Posted: Sep 7, 2018 at 3:29 Quote
I'm hoping you can help. My connection to the website is always through a VPN. That VPN decides my "location" and therefore dictates what "Nearby" means on all the links. The location can vary from day to day. However, it rarely, if ever, reflects my real location. I've looked all over the website and I do not see anyway to actually set the location.

Am I missing it? Is there a way to override the determined location?

It impacts:
Nearby
Maps
Weather

And other things, so I really like to be able to set it to my locale regardless of what the VPN says.

Thanks

Posted: Sep 11, 2018 at 5:27 Quote
This route at Fiskartorpet was added yesterday but no map preview was generated. I have opened this page in other browsers but there is no image.
Fiskatorpets Routes.

canadaka wrote:
When a route is added or edited, the preview images should get updated. Although it may be a CDN or browser caching issue.

Mod O+
Posted: Sep 11, 2018 at 15:12 Quote
OrjanX wrote:
This route at Fiskartorpet was added yesterday but no map preview was generated. I have opened this page in other browsers but there is no image.
Fiskatorpets Routes.

canadaka wrote:

Those images are not generated right away. There is a backend script that runs to generate them. It's generated now!

I'm making sure that script is runnng on a regular basis now.

O+
Posted: Sep 16, 2018 at 6:46 Quote
I am in Durango riding the trails here for the first time. A few days ago, while in Flagstaff, I ran into some riders who turned me on to Trailforks.

I created an account, and when I was in Moab 2 days ago, I was able to load the GPX for Slickrock onto my Garmin Edge 1000 and use it as a navigation tool.

Well, I want to ride Twin Buttes today in Durango, but I'm seeing that there is a fairly complex network of trails around the area. I want to download all the GPX files for them so that I'll be able to see them and route them if I desire while riding today. After all, if I take a wrong turn on this new trail, I want to know about it when I look at my Garmin.

Mod O+
Posted: Sep 16, 2018 at 12:50 Quote
spdorsey wrote:
I am in Durango riding the trails here for the first time. A few days ago, while in Flagstaff, I ran into some riders who turned me on to Trailforks.

I created an account, and when I was in Moab 2 days ago, I was able to load the GPX for Slickrock onto my Garmin Edge 1000 and use it as a navigation tool.

Well, I want to ride Twin Buttes today in Durango, but I'm seeing that there is a fairly complex network of trails around the area. I want to download all the GPX files for them so that I'll be able to see them and route them if I desire while riding today. After all, if I take a wrong turn on this new trail, I want to know about it when I look at my Garmin.

Surprise! I am only allowed to download 3 files per day as a new user! I don't even have the trails I'll actually be riding on yet, and I am locked out until tomorrow. It would have been nice to ride, rate, and review these trails. Now I don't really care that much.

Bad move, Trailforks. I guess I'll head back over to MTB Project.

We have these download limits for new accounts, because we have seem abuse many times.

But we have much better ways to get the info you want rather than manual GPX downloading.

1. You can use the Trailforks app, the trails are loaded offline.

2. You can find a specific Route you want to ride in the area, and download the GPX for it, which will include multiple trail. But even better is add the Route to your "WIshlist" then install and use our Garmin CIQ app on your Edge 1000, to view and load your Wishlisted routes & trails. No limit there!
Garmin CIQ App

4. If a route doesn't exist that you're interested in, you can create your own using our ride planner. Or get other route suggestions with our discover feature on web & app.

5. If you want ALL the trail data offline on your Garmin, we have the best solution, get them in our custom Trailforks Garmin basemap. Download a Garmin map for the entire state.

photo

6. If you contribute content to Trailforks, your GPX file download will go up, along with time.

7. You can actually download trails GPX file from within the Trailforks app to your phone, then transfer that to your Edge via bluetooth connection in the Garmin Connect app. There is no download limit there.

Other services don't do that Wink

Posted: Sep 18, 2018 at 0:08 Quote
Rejected trail message

When a person gets a trail rejected there is this message sent out (Reject vote message). Very helpful if the message also could contain the name of the rejected trail, and not only a non-working link.

Thanks!

/Örjan, Sweden-admin

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013035
Mobile Version of Website