Trailforks Website Feedback & Suggestions

PB Forum :: Trailforks Feedback
Trailforks Website Feedback & Suggestions
Posted: Jun 15, 2020 at 22:06 Quote
provin1327 wrote:
markholloway wrote:
provin1327 wrote:
Why are some roads not available for selection in the ride planer tool? For example, I see this road titled DC5 at the Indian Creek area in Colorado but when I try and plan a route in that area I can't select the road for my route.

Either the road has to be physically add to Trailforks, (we are not encouraging adding every road) or it has to be on OSM and routable.

Best just to use the new draw function, it eliminates the worry of not having actual maps roads to follow.

I ended up using the draw function. Although it's a cool function it was a pain to use and took forever. Can you use the draw function in conjunction with selecting entire trails? That would have made things way easier.

I have the same issue. The draw function is not a realistic alternative when there are many switchbacks. it takes forever to make a route that should should be easy with A-B routing. Unfortunately there are usually small sections of road needed to connect trails where I'm at so getting these to show up would be amazing. I went in and fixed all the trail and road junctions in my region so routing would work but now the roads won't show up except in draw mode Frown

Is there a setting that needs to be set for the road? mine are set as multi use with MTB,running, hiking selected as appropriate activities.

Posted: Jun 16, 2020 at 1:14 Quote
If you type a comment to a trail photo, the textbox disappears behind the keyboard and you can not see what you are typing.

What is a bit annoying is that there are no attachments here.

Posted: Jun 16, 2020 at 1:16 Quote
Another idea. You as a trail submitter should be able to specify a group of users who can see your hidden and work in progress trails. This would make collective trail building and maintenance of hidden trails easier.

Posted: Jun 16, 2020 at 10:16 Quote
[Quote="dschneiderch"][Quote="provin1327"]
markholloway wrote:

Either the road has to be physically add to Trailforks, (we are not encouraging adding every road) or it has to be on OSM and routable.
@markholloway
What do you mean by routable? the road is on osm - although it may not have been a direct import. is that the problem?
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/13884910#map=15/46.8139/-116.8948&layers=CDG
https://www.trailforks.com/region/moscow-mountain/

Posted: Jun 19, 2020 at 19:02 Quote
https://www.trailforks.com/trails/TRAILNAME/leaderboard/

trail leaderboard page: how about a "my friends" button, to see who's fastest in your crew?

Posted: Jun 26, 2020 at 9:03 Quote
Hello. I am starting to add trails to the system using the TF "Add Trail" web-based toolset. I was reading the Mapping Standards document, and I have a LOT of questions. I don't mean to be a pain in the butt, this is an effort to try to do things by the book.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/12XwW1BNMSKapYTmTLqcxLRsl4SfQ29XIrmxZa0tjNMg/edit?usp=sharing

Section 2.3 - Access Roads

There are a lot of "access roads" and "forest roads" that could also be called "fire roads" or "Doubletrack". They are definitely used for access, but they are regular parts of a trail and are part of a typical ride, not simply a section of road used solely for access. (I would never ignore the mileage I ride on these roads). Some are challenging. Others are literally an entire ride (I participate in a big ride every year that is completely ridden on "access roads"). Knowing that, why is there a stated difference between the two in the documentation?

---------------

Trailforks Policy 3
The policy states "A continuous road should never be used to mark a route along multiple roads and/or trails.".

I often see routes (also known as "rides" according to this document) that contains a section of road. So I guess I don't understand the meaning of this policy.

---------------

Trailforks Policy 4
The policy states "A road, defined as a double-track may never be labelled as anything else, including but not limited to a White or Green trail."
Also
Trailforks Policy 6
The policy states: "If a Doubletrack or Dirt/Gravel/Paved Roads has a technical difficulty of Green then must be labeled as Secondary Access Roads or Access Roads respectively."

Just yesterday, I rode a "Road" (a fire road, to be precise) that was very much a blue intermediate-level. It contains a series of uphills that are VERY steep and sandstone sections that are very challenging. I was the only one of the three people in our group that cleared it without dabbing. (It was sweet.) Is that an "access road"? I ask because no one around here refers to it as such.

---------------

Section 2.10 Trail Usage

A lot of parks/trail systems near me are combination equestrian/hike/bike friendly. People generally get along from my experience. There are usually trails of three types:

- Equiestrian/hike trails
- Hike only trails
- Hike/bike/equestrian trails (anyone can use - usually fire/access roads, but some singletrack)

Do I use "Multi-Use" as the usage indicator for the first two, and then un-check the "Mountain Bike" and "E-bike" activity types in order to make sure the non-bike trails show up on the map and avoid confusion for mountain bikers? (I always use a disclaimer saying that mountain biking is not permitted).

---------------

Section 2.20 Strava

Is there a good way to find segments on Strava? I usually use the "Segment Explore" function on the site, but it gives me spotty results. Often, I get results that do not contain the entire segment, or that contain far more than the segment in question. If there is a way to more accurately find specific start/stop segments that match the trail I'm adding, I'd love to find them out.

Searching by trail name on Strava has proven useless.

---------------

Section 4.4 Trails with Sections of Road

Blank? Or problem with google docs?

---------------

Oh, I guess this document is a work in progress...

Sorry for my confusion, I hope my points make sense...

thanks os much

Posted: Jun 30, 2020 at 12:13 Quote
Would it be possible to include a difficulty rating based on the direction of travel on a trail?

As an example, for a dirtbike (and e-bike) descending on a trail with roots and a few rocks with a slight grade would qualify as a Blue/Intermediate trail. However, accending that same trail proves to be very difficult and should qualify as a Black/Very Difficult trail.

Current approach: I would rate the trail as a Black and highlight the direction difficulty in the trail description as a way to inform other Trailforks users of the directional discrepancy.

Is there another way to look at this or a different approach that would be more effective?

Mod Plus
Posted: Jun 30, 2020 at 12:59 Quote
Tarball wrote:
Would it be possible to include a difficulty rating based on the direction of travel on a trail?

As an example, for a dirtbike (and e-bike) descending on a trail with roots and a few rocks with a slight grade would qualify as a Blue/Intermediate trail. However, accending that same trail proves to be very difficult and should qualify as a Black/Very Difficult trail.

Current approach: I would rate the trail as a Black and highlight the direction difficulty in the trail description as a way to inform other Trailforks users of the directional discrepancy.

Is there another way to look at this or a different approach that would be more effective?

There is a field for "Climb Difficulty".

Posted: Jun 30, 2020 at 17:16 Quote
canadaka wrote:

There is a field for "Climb Difficulty".

Thanks for the quick reply. That might be a good option. I just tried to edit a trail in Squamish/Lava Flow area and was unable to locate the "Climb Difficulty" field. Can you point me in the right direction?

Posted: Jul 3, 2020 at 11:46 Quote
What determines the size of the trail system icon that is displayed on the overview map? Is it the amount of trails, usage or something else?
Image link example below....
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kJLlO0FLrzNuKHe109iH8Ew7SDASgLU9/view?usp=sharing

Mod Plus
Posted: Jul 3, 2020 at 14:25 Quote
Akinraze wrote:
What determines the size of the trail system icon that is displayed on the overview map? Is it the amount of trails, usage or something else?
Image link example below....
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kJLlO0FLrzNuKHe109iH8Ew7SDASgLU9/view?usp=sharing

Regions are ranked using a formula.

((AVG(t.rating) / 2) + (SUM(t.votes) / 10) + (SUM(t.faved) / 10) + (SUM(t.ridden) / 100) + (SUM(t.total_checkins) / 1000) + (t.views / 1000000))

Then ranked within their state with certain thresholds. Top 30% and so on. There are 4 possible marker sizes. Also if a region has 5 trails it will be a small size.

Posted: Jul 4, 2020 at 8:16 Quote
how long does it take to import approx 250 old rides from strava to my Trailforks ride log , ive imported them but they are now showed as being queued ??

Posted: Jul 6, 2020 at 6:25 Quote
Can you give us the opportunity to rotate trail work pictures on the mobile and desktop website please?

This keeps happening, although the pictures are fine on the mobile (iphoneX).

https://www.trailforks.com/report/1086095/

Posted: Jul 9, 2020 at 16:56 Quote
Would it be possible to add average time for routes? For example there is a lot of information on the Whole Enchilada route in Moab but the most helpful information for me would be how long on average it takes people to ride. I know that you can select an individual trail, look at the ride logs for that trail, and select logs that are basically the same as the route and get an idea of average time but if this information was just posted on the route page that would be so much more helpful and accurate.

https://www.trailforks.com/route/the-whole-enchilada-moab-utah/

Posted: Jul 10, 2020 at 8:16 Quote
provin1327 wrote:
Would it be possible to add average time for routes? For example there is a lot of information on the Whole Enchilada route in Moab but the most helpful information for me would be how long on average it takes people to ride. I know that you can select an individual trail, look at the ride logs for that trail, and select logs that are basically the same as the route and get an idea of average time but if this information was just posted on the route page that would be so much more helpful and accurate.

https://www.trailforks.com/route/the-whole-enchilada-moab-utah/

Huge +1 for this! Almost everything I ride is a combination of trails, and it's very hard to figure out how long a loop might take based on the individual trail times.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006630
Mobile Version of Website