Issues with the brake / saint 2014

PB Forum :: Downhill
Issues with the brake / saint 2014
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 5, 2014 at 7:17 Quote
I’ve got a completly new Shimano Saint 2014 rear break. It was bleeded before I put it on my bike.

However, I had following problem on the trail: when I took the brake, the brake leveler touched the grip (means no breaking point at all; really low brake power) but when I shortly took my fingers off the brake and braked again (within a second) it has got a perfect brake point and the leveler stopped at the right position and didn’t move any further. So far so good. But when I took the brake for the next time (it didn’t matter if there were 5 second or minutes in between the new and old brake action”) the entire issue started from the beginning. And this over the entire day.

What could be wrong with the brake system? Because at the second push on the brake within a 1sec after the first one, it worked brilliant.

Cheers

Chris

Posted: May 5, 2014 at 12:18 Quote
It needs bleeding properly , sounds like you have some more air in there still , make sure the lever and the hose is above the caliper when bleeding it.

O+
Posted: May 9, 2014 at 15:43 Quote
shimano brakes are an open system and like mentioned above it just has air somewhere, that first pump of the lever moves the air out into the extra portion of the reservoir and braking is perfectly fine after that. There was a tech tuesday article not too long ago that can really help you with your problem.

Posted: May 10, 2014 at 10:17 Quote
Had that on both front and rear m820 Saints I have ... Bled them quite a few times, and now thinking sending them back to Shimano for them to properly bleed them ...

Even out of the box, it was like this. To be honest, I love the Saints power, lever feel (much better than the one on the XTs though), look, but reliability has been on the poor side so far ... Cracked a piston seal last summer (and discovered the I-Spec B in the process, thanks to stupid Shimano marketing), and now having to deal with this problem.

I'll have a friend properly bleed them until it disappears, but I'm not even entirely sure it will go away ! When it happens, so far the only solution is to let go the brakes half a second and it's fine again. But when I'm on the Ffestiniog Black run, I'd prefer to focus on the track rather on my brakes ...

So no solution for me, and I've bled them properly (using or not the Shimano bleed kit btw), I might end up checking with Shimano how to get rid of that ...

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010640
Mobile Version of Website