Commencal Meta SX builds - thoughts and opinions?

PB Forum :: Commencal
Commencal Meta SX builds - thoughts and opinions?
Posted: Jul 21, 2017 at 9:05 Quote
Multivac wrote:
Riyadh wrote:
steve-miller wrote:
Anyone tried a 650b wheelset on a 2013 meta SX? Does it fit with enough clearance?

I asked same question on here a couple pages back. I was thinking angle headset as well. Still contemplating it, but not at a point where I would do it.

I tried fitting a 650b wheelset on the rear of my 2013 SX. A 2.4 Magic Mary is nowhere close to fitting, but maybe something much smaller like a 2.25 XC tire would work. The side knobs were rubbing the chainstays so much that the wheel would even spin.
Yeah, 2.25 or 2.3 maybe. Thats ok for the rear. Upgrade to a 650b fork with angle headset. Thats what I was thinking.

Posted: Jul 24, 2017 at 8:24 Quote
Riyadh wrote:
Multivac wrote:
Riyadh wrote:

I asked same question on here a couple pages back. I was thinking angle headset as well. Still contemplating it, but not at a point where I would do it.

I tried fitting a 650b wheelset on the rear of my 2013 SX. A 2.4 Magic Mary is nowhere close to fitting, but maybe something much smaller like a 2.25 XC tire would work. The side knobs were rubbing the chainstays so much that the wheel would even spin.
Yeah, 2.25 or 2.3 maybe. Thats ok for the rear. Upgrade to a 650b fork with angle headset. Thats what I was thinking.

I abandoned the 650b idea. I prefer running a wide 26 tire than a skinny 650b tire. The extra traction from a fat 26 tire outweighs the benefits of a larger diameter XC tire IMO. Not to mention the bottom bracket height differences.

Posted: Jul 25, 2017 at 2:16 Quote
I'm about to change my rear cassette from a 11-34 to a bigger 10 speed sunrace cassette as 32 on the front and 34 on the reaer doesn't work to well for a few climbs in the peak district. Has anyone had any problems running a 42 tooth cassette? I have a Zee mid rear mech.

Cheers for the help.

Posted: Jul 25, 2017 at 9:02 Quote
Atarikid79 wrote:
I'm about to change my rear cassette from a 11-34 to a bigger 10 speed sunrace cassette as 32 on the front and 34 on the reaer doesn't work to well for a few climbs in the peak district. Has anyone had any problems running a 42 tooth cassette? I have a Zee mid rear mech.

Cheers for the help.

I'm running a Sunrace 11-42 cassette with 32t up front and it works a treat!

I have an XT rear mech with a Oneup Rad cage (the one that fits in with a Shimano mid cage) and a Wolftooth GoatLink to aid in the shifting.

If memory serves when I first had a 42 expander cog I had some issues with shifting where you have to take out a small cog, hence why I have a the bits added to my mech.

Posted: Jul 26, 2017 at 4:27 Quote
Atarikid79 wrote:

Cheers for the help.

i couldnt get my Zee to work with a 40T expander ring - even in medium the zee is too short when compared with an slx/xt medium

Posted: Jul 26, 2017 at 9:34 Quote
mid cage zee maxes out at 36. its gets super pissy above that.

in rocking a 46 but i have an 11 spd xt. counter rotates the earth on climbs lol

Posted: Jul 27, 2017 at 9:44 Quote
Anyone fitted a 2.4 Maxxis tyre on a 2014 SX? If so what was clearance like?

Posted: Jul 27, 2017 at 11:33 Quote
Atarikid79 wrote:

Cheers for the help.
I have totally killed my Zee (short cage) with 36 tooth standing & running uphill on the flats. I guess, 42 would not work with standart cage.

Posted: Jul 27, 2017 at 13:03 Quote
alinorco2010 wrote:
Anyone fitted a 2.4 Maxxis tyre on a 2014 SX? If so what was clearance like?

Im running a 2.4 Maxxis HR2 on my 2013 SX. Fits fine, with just enough mud clearance. It clears the chainstays by about a half inch.

Posted: Jul 29, 2017 at 6:22 Quote
Multivac wrote:

Im running a 2.4 Maxxis HR2 on my 2013 SX. Fits fine, with just enough mud clearance. It clears the chainstays by about a half inch.

Sweet, thanks!

Posted: Jul 29, 2017 at 8:46 Quote
Ollie dont worry about clear coat. just add a decent coat of good car wax every so often. This is how my old supreme fr was done and an old kona stab I did years ago and it still looks fine without any clear coats. check my gallery pics.

Posted: Jul 29, 2017 at 10:28 Quote
rabidmonkfish wrote:
Ollie dont worry about clear coat. just add a decent coat of good car wax every so often. This is how my old supreme fr was done and an old kona stab I did years ago and it still looks fine without any clear coats. check my gallery pics.

Thanks! Good idea with the wax

Posted: Aug 10, 2017 at 14:33 Quote
hi guys.

just been reading back through the thread about rear shocks. now I know that there was an upgrade introduced to the rear stays about 2014/15 to accommodate piggy back rear shocks, but I can't seem to find (or I missed it for which I apologise profusely to all who would tell me to go back and read!) anything, description or pictures, thats shows the actual difference between the old and new stays? this is for a '13 sx btw. and therefore, is there a "fix" that I can do to make a different shock fit? something like a monarch plus/float x or even a coil shock? I was at ard rock enduro last week and had the shock tuned by fox for free but it still blew through the travel.

cheers
Stu

Posted: Aug 10, 2017 at 15:07 Quote
Did they fit any volume spacers in the shock or was it just a shim change for the tune? A volume spacer will make it more progressive.
The new chainstays came as standard on the 2015 to fit the piggy back shocks but still needed a fix on the first few. Older ones like my 14 and your 13 won't fit a piggyback shock and the new ones are now unavailable. Depending on paint thickness the best option seems to a cane creek in line air shock which should just about fit you year bike.
As for coil the only one I have seen fitted was an old fox one some where on this thread. However coils are linear while air is a more progressive spring so I suspect the sx will blow through the travel on a coil still as your having issues with at the minute.
Hope this helps.

Posted: Aug 10, 2017 at 15:18 Quote
macca85 wrote:
hi guys.

just been reading back through the thread about rear shocks. now I know that there was an upgrade introduced to the rear stays about 2014/15 to accommodate piggy back rear shocks, but I can't seem to find (or I missed it for which I apologise profusely to all who would tell me to go back and read!) anything, description or pictures, thats shows the actual difference between the old and new stays? this is for a '13 sx btw. and therefore, is there a "fix" that I can do to make a different shock fit? something like a monarch plus/float x or even a coil shock? I was at ard rock enduro last week and had the shock tuned by fox for free but it still blew through the travel.

cheers
Stu
Stu,
if I understood you correct, you need Fox (or other) shock of your size having more progressivity not to blow it down. No need to change the chainstays in your case to get RS DebonAir or Fox Float X, as far as I can see.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011964
Mobile Version of Website