Commencal Meta SX builds - thoughts and opinions?

PB Forum :: Commencal
Commencal Meta SX builds - thoughts and opinions?
Posted: Apr 24, 2019 at 4:37 Quote
Im also looking at the Ohlins STX22 which I'm thinking might fit just from eyeing it up

Posted: Apr 24, 2019 at 23:26 Quote
NotNamed wrote:
jskipperdh wrote:
Does anyone know what shocks you can fit on the 2017 frame? I've got a Monarch Plus R in there at the moment but I'm pretty keen on upgrading to the Fox Float X2 or Cane Creek CS DBAir. Has anyone had any experience with doing this?

What fits:
Monarch Plus (but dont get the Debon Air)

What should fit:
Inline Air
DVO Topaz
Maybe Suntour Triair as its nearely identical to the Topaz

I would get the Topaz or Triair for sericability

Pretty sure mine was speced new with a Monarch Debon Air from Commencal? I'll have to confirm when I get home but pretty sure its a Monarch Plus RC3 Debon Air so that shock does fit.

Posted: Apr 25, 2019 at 1:11 Quote
Shieldsy94 wrote:
NotNamed wrote:
jskipperdh wrote:
Does anyone know what shocks you can fit on the 2017 frame? I've got a Monarch Plus R in there at the moment but I'm pretty keen on upgrading to the Fox Float X2 or Cane Creek CS DBAir. Has anyone had any experience with doing this?

What fits:
Monarch Plus (but dont get the Debon Air)

What should fit:
Inline Air
DVO Topaz
Maybe Suntour Triair as its nearely identical to the Topaz

I would get the Topaz or Triair for sericability

Pretty sure mine was speced new with a Monarch Debon Air from Commencal? I'll have to confirm when I get home but pretty sure its a Monarch Plus RC3 Debon Air so that shock does fit.

Mine also came with the Debon Air but the bigger Air can istn suited best with the "linear" linkage curve.
Commencal Said the Debon Air doesnt fit as the air can can sratch the chainstays (did with Mine but only the paint)

The Öhlins doesnt fit- you can only install a shock that only has the shaft on one side (the Öhlins has adjusters on one and the air can on the other side)

I think the DVO is easy to Change travel.

Suntour Triair is inexpensive and also very good.... I would either get an used Topaz or New Triair. Both are very good shocks and better than the Monarch (only had Problems with it)

Posted: Apr 25, 2019 at 2:59 Quote
wrote:
The Öhlins doesnt fit- you can only install a shock that only has the shaft on one side (the Öhlins has adjusters on one and the air can on the other side)

Is there anything stopping me from flipping it around so that the adjusters fall where the piggyback is at the moment on the monarch - assuming the air can will clear the frame where the stanchion is atm

Posted: May 2, 2019 at 9:37 Quote
Does anyone out there have a picture of the db air il on their sx? A 2017 frame would be perfect

Posted: May 2, 2019 at 10:29 Quote
For those that have moved on from the Meta SX (regrettably), what bikes have you found solace with? I'm trying to find newer bikes with a similar feel. Obviously besides the clash, I'm going to grab one of those next year.

I feel like every Commencal I have ridden strikes the best balance between all out fast race bikes, and maneuverable as well as intuitive hooligan bikes. But the Meta SX even more so.

I tried a bunch of bikes, and the newer 2018 and up Process 153 and Reign have that cloud like feel to the suspension action, but then are super playful in terms of the frame's maneuverability underneath you. Not as intuitive as the Meta SX was, obviously, but close enough for me.

Posted: May 2, 2019 at 13:00 Quote
BeaverCreaker wrote:
For those that have moved on from the Meta SX (regrettably), what bikes have you found solace with? I'm trying to find newer bikes with a similar feel. Obviously besides the clash, I'm going to grab one of those next year.

I feel like every Commencal I have ridden strikes the best balance between all out fast race bikes, and maneuverable as well as intuitive hooligan bikes. But the Meta SX even more so.

I tried a bunch of bikes, and the newer 2018 and up Process 153 and Reign have that cloud like feel to the suspension action, but then are super playful in terms of the frame's maneuverability underneath you. Not as intuitive as the Meta SX was, obviously, but close enough for me.

Have you tried guerill gravity? I bought one with very little knowledge. I absolutely love how it handles everything. Point and shoot, go fast, its really really good. I still miss my meta sx tho, but not that much.

Posted: May 2, 2019 at 13:21 Quote
Riyadh wrote:
BeaverCreaker wrote:

Have you tried guerill gravity? I bought one with very little knowledge. I absolutely love how it handles everything. Point and shoot, go fast, its really really good. I still miss my meta sx tho, but not that much.

no I haven't. Are they racey and super fast in the rough stuff like Commencal bikes? I usually only buy bikes from brands that race, as stupid as that sounds. I have been meaning to look into them as a brand, I keep hearing about them

Posted: May 3, 2019 at 0:39 Quote
BeaverCreaker wrote:
Riyadh wrote:
BeaverCreaker wrote:

no I haven't. Are they racey and super fast in the rough stuff like Commencal bikes? I usually only buy bikes from brands that race, as stupid as that sounds. I have been meaning to look into them as a brand, I keep hearing about them

It feels very fast compared to my sx. It loves the rough, but alao i have a coil shock on it. Have a look, see if you can test one.

Posted: May 3, 2019 at 7:52 Quote
BeaverCreaker wrote:

Ive went with an Knolly Delirium- the SX was more playful (ofc with 4 cm less reach and short wheelbase)...but I miss the SX sometimes as it really had the perfect balance between playfulness and ability to go fast (I feel like the Knolly is sometimes too big to really get comfortable as Im not really balanced between the bike). Maybe its also that the Knolly is 1-1.5kgs heavier atleast.

I would go with the Meta V4.2- it has a really good Reach (and not stupidly long reach) to Chainstay ratio and is really nice to ride....and the frames only are not that expensive.

Posted: May 3, 2019 at 11:33 Quote
My problem with the 4.2 is the seat tube length. 490mm and 520mm for the L and XL. My Large Reign SX STLength is 460mm. I like the trend moving towards shorter bikes.

They corrected for that in the Meta 29 and Clash frame though. I’m going to try a Clash next year, only after I get an XC bike. I really need a shredder XC bike, I have been putting it off for far too long. Something like a 5010.

I’m starting to really enjoy the Reign SX, but somehow I feel more cramped on it than I did on the 2014 Meta SX? The geo numbers would not correlate with that feeling though. I just feel more in the middle of the bike, whereas on the Meta I felt like I was further back over the rear wheel. I like how the Reigns suspension works more in unison because of that body placement, but the Meta was easier to manual and flick around. I also have bottom barrel components on my Reign SX, while my Meta SX was built with the fox factory suspension and zee drivetrain/brakes, so I need to upgrade the Reign to truly compare their overall feel.

I think the placement of the shock on the Meta SX, through the seat tube that low, made it’s center of gravity more conducive to playing. As well as that short wheelbase. It wasnt a super progressive bike..What do you think NotNamed?

Posted: May 4, 2019 at 0:23 Quote
I need help. I've had my Meta SX for about 5 months now, and no matter what I do to the shock in terms of settings, the bike seriously is God awful to pedal. I could hit the tiniest little root and it literally feels like I'm getting bucked on flat ground by a 4cm root. I've tried more air, less air, less rebound, more rebound, just everything and I'm convinced it's just the frames geometry? I've given up on finding a way to make that feel good and just have set it up for what feels good on the more downhill trails I ride but I'm hoping maybe someone has the secret?

Posted: May 4, 2019 at 4:22 Quote
BeaverCreaker wrote:
My problem with the 4.2 is the seat tube length. 490mm and 520mm for the L and XL. My Large Reign SX STLength is 460mm. I like the trend moving towards shorter bikes.

They corrected for that in the Meta 29 and Clash frame though. I’m going to try a Clash next year, only after I get an XC bike. I really need a shredder XC bike, I have been putting it off for far too long. Something like a 5010.

I’m starting to really enjoy the Reign SX, but somehow I feel more cramped on it than I did on the 2014 Meta SX? The geo numbers would not correlate with that feeling though. I just feel more in the middle of the bike, whereas on the Meta I felt like I was further back over the rear wheel. I like how the Reigns suspension works more in unison because of that body placement, but the Meta was easier to manual and flick around. I also have bottom barrel components on my Reign SX, while my Meta SX was built with the fox factory suspension and zee drivetrain/brakes, so I need to upgrade the Reign to truly compare their overall feel.

I think the placement of the shock on the Meta SX, through the seat tube that low, made it’s center of gravity more conducive to playing. As well as that short wheelbase. It wasnt a super progressive bike..What do you think NotNamed?

More cramped? Hmm Sounds funny because the Reign should be a tad longer overall...Shorter chainstays shift youre weight further to the Back wheel- thats Not a Problem with Not so long and slack bikes but with my Knolly for example you really need to weight the front wheel otherwise it slips aways- after one year im Not that confident as I was on the Meta because of this (I only rode smaller bikes- so I was used to driving more with the rear wheel as there was always enough Grip on Front)

The SX has also a coil shock which feels different- but the Center of Gravity should be the same I suppose?

Maybe have a look at the Propan Tyee or even Spindrift- they figured Out that longer Bikes need longer chainstays to be balanced (thats why Im searching for a M frame or maybe even a smaller different frame)

Yes the seattube is long (also on the SX I sometimey hit my Ass lol)... Do you want an Allround package or more DH focused?

Posted: May 4, 2019 at 9:26 Quote
NotNamed wrote:

More cramped? Hmm Sounds funny because the Reign should be a tad longer overall...Shorter chainstays shift youre weight further to the Back wheel- thats Not a Problem with Not so long and slack bikes but with my Knolly for example you really need to weight the front wheel otherwise it slips aways- after one year im Not that confident as I was on the Meta because of this (I only rode smaller bikes- so I was used to driving more with the rear wheel as there was always enough Grip on Front)

The SX has also a coil shock which feels different- but the Center of Gravity should be the same I suppose?

Maybe have a look at the Propan Tyee or even Spindrift- they figured Out that longer Bikes need longer chainstays to be balanced (thats why Im searching for a M frame or maybe even a smaller different frame)

Yes the seattube is long (also on the SX I sometimey hit my Ass lol)... Do you want an Allround package or more DH focused?

I am more DH focused. I am 187cm tall, but only have a 85cm bike inseam, and I just don't need a tall seat tube to pedal uphill well. And I prefer the seat slammed on the downhill portions.

The Reign is quite a bit longer. When I said "cramped", maybe it wasn't the right word. The L Reign feels a little small compared to other Large sized bikes I have ridden, including other Giants. I think the problem is the stack height, the Reign front end is low, even with a 180mm fork. That in combination with the low seat tube just make this bike feel short. And that in combination with the position the bike naturally puts me in, over the middle of the bike more, was a little uncomfortable at first.

I'm starting to appreciate it more and more though, because I don't have to consciously weight the front end. On less steep stuff, the bike is still extremely maneuverable, and it's because of this I think. It's like your weight is already over the front end of the bike, but it took me a few days to get used to this feeling. I'm used to having to weight the front end, because I ride a lot of motocross and DH bikes.

With the bigger wheels, coil shock, and longer wheelbase, the Reign is most definitely faster. It's faster everywhere. I just need to get a riser bar on it I think.

Posted: May 11, 2019 at 4:32 Quote
For anyone whos interested, the 2019 Cane Creek DB Air IL - 200x57 Shock does fit on the SX. Its pretty tight non drive side on the air can but I put a 1x12mm oring on the bushing and spacers from the stock Monarch to space it across just a hair. I haven't managed to get out and ride it yet but just from messing about on the street it feels like a massive step up!

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017236
Mobile Version of Website